Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Listening to an album as a whole

Re: Listening to an album as a whole
October 14, 2010, 03:52:08 PM
Abbandon Poetry.
Now.
Abbandon nothingness.
And embrace it again renewed.

I would sooner disown nihilism than disown John Milton.

October 17, 2010, 07:21:18 PM
What about Edge of Sanity's "Crimson"?  You end up doing what this topic's subject intended to do by listening to it's  single song-album.

October 18, 2010, 07:22:30 AM
Someone's gonna have a new set of band opinions in under 6 months.

October 18, 2010, 08:02:27 AM
The sooner, the better... Btw, Spectrum, why don't you take Wolfgang's recommendation on Krypts? I'm drowning in them for days, and it's not only "as a whole", but "on repeat"!

October 18, 2010, 06:33:32 PM
I'll second Wolfgang's recommendation for the Krypts.  Everything works well on these songs, im a fan of the drums, but the vocals remind me of Six Feet Under...

October 18, 2010, 06:46:37 PM
The only SFU I can remember hearing is "No WAAAAAAR". Such a (bowel) moving piece of music.

Does anyone else detect that Master influence early in the demo? You wouldn't think direct, browbeating punkdeathmetal would fit with the over all concept, but they intertwine it perfectly. If we can continue rewarding success in Death Metal, the genre will become very interesting again as bands with the right spirit will continue creating new pieces of art out of the entire arsenal of metal techniques, as opposed to cut and paste mashups of favorite bands and influences.

October 18, 2010, 08:00:39 PM
I've come to realize, just now, the true nature of Cannibal Corpse. They are a theoretical good band that produced entire albums of skipworthy tracks. You put on an album, think, "ok..this is alright...but let's see what else is on this record...". In three and a half minutes you're at the last track and begging for Immortal Rites.

I'm not so sure it was a revelation since all of this has already been stated about the band. Perhaps you read about it and regurgitated what you read - for our benefit of course.

If we can continue rewarding success in Death Metal, the genre will become very interesting again as bands with the right spirit will continue creating new pieces of art out of the entire arsenal of metal techniques, as opposed to cut and paste mashups of favorite bands and influences.

Wait, isn't this more regurgitation of the same ideas that have been bouncing around here all along? I'll be impressed with implementation and results. Plagiarized repetition followed by inaction in the wake of crowd-reply fanfare (the goal) isn't making the cut. You'll have to do better.

October 18, 2010, 08:54:47 PM
The sooner, the better... Btw, Spectrum, why don't you take Wolfgang's recommendation on Krypts? I'm drowning in them for days, and it's not only "as a whole", but "on repeat"!

Sounds cool I'll check it. Wolfgang has recommended some good stuff before and I've only been here a little while.

December 07, 2010, 04:37:22 PM
I know "Transilvanian Hunger" has been said, but what a beautifully complete album.  I still haven't found another bm album as consistent as TH. 

Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Napalm Death - Scum
Massacra - The Final Holocaust (But I prefer the raw aggression of '88 demo version as opposed to the polished official release, though it's excellent)
At the Gates - Gardens of Grief
Kayo Dot - Choirs of the Eye (kinda pretentious, I know)

Though it was "Ride the Lightning" and "Master of Puppets" that initially got me into metal, there are definitely skippable tracks on both.  For the first time in years, I listened to all of "In the Nightside Eclipse", and I can't really remember why I used to enjoy it so much.  It just sounds ineffectual to me now as a whole.

December 11, 2010, 12:03:49 AM
I know lots of people aren't a big fan of Chuck over here but I reckon earlier Death albums (Leprosy, Spiritual Healing) are best listened to as a whole. Despite the predictability of early Death they still make for a very good listen. Also ditto on most of the black metal albums as a whole. Lots of doom metal also has that 'complete' feel to it as well I reckon.

January 03, 2011, 03:07:34 AM
I prefer to listen to an album as a whole all the way through. I mean shit, what else are albums for right? Anyway, I find most latter Nile albums great as a whole. More so Ithyphallic than anything else.

1.Death - The Sound Of Perserverance
2.Arcturus - Aspera Hiems Symfonia
3.Disincarnate - Dreams Of The Carrion Kind
4.Vader - The Ultimate Incantation
5.Unholy - Rapture (Great Death Doom Metal, give it a listen.)

January 03, 2011, 06:52:35 AM
Wongraven's "Fjelltronen" is a very good example of a work that functions more as a whole than a collection of songs.  I would never listen to it without listening to the entire thing.  Like Transylvanian Hunger, it has a very strong beginning and ending with what appears to be some sort of wandering journey in between.