Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Music Collections..

Re: Music Collections..
October 04, 2010, 10:55:36 AM
I dont take pride in the # of albums i have, thats a bit strange.  I can understand why some people dont pay for music because really, you dont have to.  Still i couldnt imagine not having any CD's or Vinyls, I like to look through all of them once in awhile, opening gatefolds and checking out booklet artwork.

October 04, 2010, 02:56:02 PM
I think for me it boils down to : would i rather double click, scroll and click etc. through menus to get to my music, or dig through vinyls/cd/tapes pick one, open it up and take out the disc/tape/record that is about to grace my ears.  I appreciate the "full package" that comes with music.

October 04, 2010, 04:08:38 PM
I got into death metal and heavy metal obsessively in the early part of the last decade, around 01 so it was well after the tape trading and vinyl days. I've downloaded since I've started. So I don't even really understand or have any concept of what metal was like before my time. I couldn't imagine having to send money away to strangers in a mag or trading tapes at shows. I am sure the experience was more pure. I feel I am pretty spoiled and I often wonder if it lowers the integrity of the entire thing.

October 05, 2010, 07:39:03 PM
I own zero albums on CD or other physical media, and even if I did have the money I wouldn't buy any because I don't see any point to it (I would probably contribute to the artists directly, though).

October 06, 2010, 02:34:05 PM
I once had the original Fran Marder by Arckanum before it was re-released. I already sold it before I even got the slightest idea that 'everyone' was searching for it. Don't think I have that much special right now, a few original tapes, demo's, old mütiilation, Sepultura & Nazxul LP's.

October 14, 2010, 04:22:35 PM
i would still like to hear from some more Users about their collections

October 14, 2010, 05:39:26 PM
The only thing I have worth mentioning is the Imperial Doom LP that is framed on my wall. Shit's so cash. Oh, and a bunch of CDs, my favorites being the copy of Leprosy that I found at a hot topic while causing problems at the mall, Deicide's first two, a really neat re-release of Severed Survival with a folding case, and a re-release of Blessed are the Sick that came with a DVD.

I guess that's it lol

October 14, 2010, 09:16:48 PM
The only thing that makes me really proud about my cd collection is that I keep it at around 200 cd's total. Every now and then I go through the pile and take out the worst cd's which then either are given away, sold at the pawn shop or just thrown away. I never ebay stuff, at least I haven't so far. So it has happened that I've given rare cd's away to people who were relatively new to metal (for instance I gave the March to the Black Holocaust split away to a Columbian guy who was only into Slayer and Sepultura at the time, I never told him the cd was rare and I also gave him some other cd's which I thought were crap) In case you're wondering where I find rare cd's: you might be amazed at what you can come across just by searching the 5 euro/dollar bin in a local record store.

But nothing was ever a more prized possession to me than the Morbid Angel demos I've had on overdubbed tapes since the early/mid nineties. So I agree with what Wolfgang wrote earlier: having stuff on cd or limited edition anal sprayed vinyl doesn't mean anything. Screw people who use their collections as status symbols. Having more than 2000 cd's and lp's is cool from a historians perspective but as a fan I think it's ridiculous, there's just no way anyone can convince me all those albums are equally great and they listen to all of them on a regular basis. And yeah if I can be happier with overdubbed tapes than with a pressed cd then why can't someone be happier with mp3's? The medium doesn't matter, it's about the music and the spirit.

October 14, 2010, 11:42:46 PM
Im interested to know what your 200 are right now.

October 15, 2010, 03:39:59 AM
Well right now my music collection is :

The Ramones - Leave Home
Motörhead - No Sleep Til Hammersmith
Hellhammer - Apocalyptic Raids
197 copies of Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger

I hope that satisfies your curiosity.

October 15, 2010, 10:57:37 AM
Well right now my music collection is :

The Ramones - Leave Home
Motörhead - No Sleep Til Hammersmith
Hellhammer - Apocalyptic Raids
197 copies of Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger

I hope that satisfies your curiosity.

cool.

October 21, 2010, 12:38:59 AM
Like several others, I download only to check a band out and find out whether their music deserves to be purchased.  I just can't imagine not owning any records, cds or tapes.  For me, purchasing a cd is a commitment.  I order an album with faith in its quality, and since I have spent my hard earned money I am more likely to reciprocate the artist's work in recording the album by giving it the best and most intelligent listen that I can. If I don't immediately like it, I still go back and listen to it after several weeks have passed. I now have a collection of around 300 cds; like Umbrage, I have to weed certain ones out once every couple years to keep it around this size.  I take no pride in this, its just that with the way my mind works I have to commit like this  to give an album the criticism (positive or negative) it deserves.

On a side note...
 I find that my friends who download most of their music lack an acute awareness of what is going on in the music - the subtleties of certain albums are completely lost to their ears.  As a result, they fail to recognize how some albums are great and others are mere novelty.  I'm talking about people who I know have the capability to penetrate deeper into the music, because they have demonstrated this ability with other (very good) albums they own on cd.  Like me, these guys used to buy all their albums and learn them thoroughly.  Then they got greedy and impatient.  They wanted to hear more music in a short amount of time than they could afford, so they started downloading up the ass and couldn't be bothered to spend money on ANY music.  Its too bad, because their once high standards slipped and they replaced quality with quantity. They became "open minded". I don't know whats worse, the fact that they waste their time listening to mediocre music, or that many truly great albums elude their grasp.  I am the lone soldier out of my old group of metalheads who still buys albums.  Possibly because I am the lone soldier with a job (HAHAHA drink up guys...smoke another blunt...have fun listening to your 3000 albums of rap, jazz, mallcore, AIDScore and everything in between)!
My apologies if this excursion was too personal, but I am fairly confident a few others have shared at least remotely similar experiences.

Gir

October 21, 2010, 03:59:20 PM
I don't like spending money so I just listen to music on YouTube.

October 21, 2010, 11:45:48 PM

Youtube is one sad state of affairs

October 22, 2010, 12:04:48 AM

Youtube is one sad state of affairs

I always promise myself I'll never read the comments again, but sometimes I can't help staring into the abyss of human stupidity.  The atmosphere of YouTube pollutes the experience for me, although it is a quick and useful device for checking out bands I have never heard. 

To listen to ALL (or even the majority) of one's music on YouTube though?  If it works for you...it is alot cheaper admittedly (though in more than one sense).