Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Social Order Without Unnecessary Restraint

Social Order Without Unnecessary Restraint
October 07, 2010, 08:11:08 PM
"The essence of liberalism is an attempt to secure a social order not based on irrational dogma, and insuring stability without involving more restraints than are necessary for the preservation of the community.  Whether this attempt can succeed only the future can determine."
-Bertrand Russell, from the introduction to 'A History of Western Philosophy'

What do you guys think?  Bearing in mind that this book was published in 1945, is what he describes even what we typically think of as "liberalism"?  Articulated in such a manner it sounds reasonable, but as we see in practice, people may need more restraint than is currently placed upon them because they appear incapable of self-restraint.  This poses problems in terms of community.  Maybe the future has already determined that such an attempt cannot succeed.

Re: Social Order Without Unnecessary Restraint
October 07, 2010, 08:43:10 PM
"The essence of liberalism is an attempt to secure a social order not based on irrational dogma, and insuring stability without involving more restraints than are necessary for the preservation of the community.  Whether this attempt can succeed only the future can determine."
-Bertrand Russell, from the introduction to 'A History of Western Philosophy'

What do you guys think?  Bearing in mind that this book was published in 1945, is what he describes even what we typically think of as "liberalism"?  Articulated in such a manner it sounds reasonable, but as we see in practice, people may need more restraint than is currently placed upon them because they appear incapable of self-restraint.  This poses problems in terms of community.  Maybe the future has already determined that such an attempt cannot succeed.

That is not Liberalism as defined in modern American politics. This is classic liberalism, which is better described now as Libertarianism. While not perfect, it would foster social darwinism. It wouldn't be the Hessian utopia we envision, but it would be a hell of a lot better than whatever it is we have now.

October 07, 2010, 09:36:45 PM
You're a contrarian. No matter what anyone says you google some intellectual reply to dispute or correct them. Really tiring dude. How long until you get bored of this new play thing?

October 08, 2010, 12:37:59 AM
Well, not really.

I believe in revering and respecting "God" as ultimate Power and all Existence.

October 08, 2010, 12:50:11 AM
Would somebody mind cluing me in as to what the fuck this Brünhilde character is talking about? And why is this person allowed to spam all the time?

October 08, 2010, 01:13:32 AM
And why is this person allowed to spam all the time?

October 08, 2010, 01:14:19 AM
And why is this person allowed to spam all the time?

Either the mods find him amusing, or he is one of the mods.

October 08, 2010, 02:40:24 AM
Fucking Venom.....You are indeed persistent!

October 08, 2010, 02:46:54 AM
Fucking Venom.....You are indeed persistent!

I do not tolerate errors. Especially my own errors.

So I cannot fail at this task without running the risk of loosing your respect.

But really,

...do I even have your respect to begin with?

The answer, is of course, "No", and it should -ALWAYS BE "NO"-. No matter fucking -what-. The A.N.U.S. staff comprehend this. Whoever does not, SHOULD.

I respect persistence, however erroneous it may be.