Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Modern Mentality News Desk

October 08, 2010, 12:17:17 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100926/ap_on_re_us/us_muslim_superhero

The superhero's appearance hasn't been finalized, but he definitely will be a Muslim boy in a wheelchair. An early sketch shows a boy who lost his legs in a landmine accident and later becomes the Silver Scorpion with the power to control metal with his mind.

Not only is he disabled, he is also a minority. OoOOOoooOOO we're soo progressive.

Truly shattering the barriers.

At least his super power hasn't been done before...............

Re: More modern failure
October 08, 2010, 01:07:50 AM
"what are his super powers? can he beat three wives at once?"

Ha. Awesome

October 08, 2010, 03:22:29 AM

Ha. Awesome

He's also equipped with the standard array of explosives triggered by a Nokia cell phone and washing machine dial.

October 08, 2010, 03:40:21 AM
press and hold block, up up. duh.

October 14, 2010, 06:56:34 PM
Magneto could certainly beat this pussy superhero down. 

October 14, 2010, 08:56:36 PM
press and hold block, up up. duh.

Wow you just made the troll look good in comparison.

October 14, 2010, 10:50:24 PM
That three wives at once comment had me rolling.

Why do people give a fuck what religion a comic book character is? Doesn't really have anything to do with developing a good story, and I dare say it cheapens it.

October 15, 2010, 12:55:13 AM
So in the modern age we have lots of stupid thoughts and the luxury to express them through such mediums as the printing press and the comic book, whereas in the past we had lots of stupid thoughts but couldn't do much with them? At least we created the printing press, that we may come to know more widely of our stupidity.

He possesses the power to control metal with his mind.

October 15, 2010, 01:18:24 AM
I don't know about Magneto, but I'm sure Mr. Reginald Gillette could!

France. (♥)

Nah, Mr. Reginald Gillette would just say "nobody cares" until the enemy gets frustrated and stomps off.  I still put my money on Magneto though.  Bending metal with your mind?  Oh please.....Magneto is way cooler.

American slacker risks being caned in Singapore
October 22, 2010, 12:47:21 PM
When cultures collide...

Singapore might cane American who overstayed visa

(CNN) -- An American businessman could face three strokes with a cane for overstaying his visa in Singapore, his legal defense team said Friday. Kamari Charlton, 37, also could face a six-month jail sentence if convicted.

Charlton was about to leave Singapore with his pregnant wife when he was arrested at the airport on September 1, said Arun Maaran of Charlton's defense team. He's been in jail since. His wife is thought to have returned to the Bahamas, where they live, Maaran said. Contact has been sporadic, because she is thought to have been hospitalized with complications to her pregnancy. Consular officers from the U.S. Embassy have visited Charlton's six times, said spokeswoman Rachel Ehrendreich.

Caning is widely used as punishment in Singapore, but Charlton's case is unique, his defense team argues. His wife was in the country on a six-month medical visa, while he was on a three-month tourist visa. Unlike most offenders who overstay, Maaran said, Charlton was not in Singapore to take advantage of its strong economy by working illegally. He overstayed by 169 days, according to court documents.

The former Florida State University college football player now successfully runs a construction company, his legal team says. Charlton's case was to be heard late Friday afternoon, to decide whether he has been discriminated against. If he prevails, his case could end up in high court and be resolved within a week or two. But many legal scenarios could play out and the case could drag on, though, Maaran said.

The discrimination argument is based on another case involving overstaying a visa. A cousin of Charlton's wife also overstayed, but was allowed to leave Singapore after paying a fine, Maaran said.

If convicted, Charlton would be caned unless he could provided a medical reason otherwise.

The case is reminiscent of the 1994 case of American teenager Michael Faye, who was sentenced to caning for vandalism in Singapore. After U.S. officials requested leniency, the Singapore government reduced the number of lashes he was given.

The U.S. Embassy in Singapore is closely monitoring Charlton's case, Ehrendreich said. "We remind U.S. citizens that foreigners in any country are subject to the laws of that country," she said. "We respect Singapore's right to try and sentence individuals within due process of law."

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/10/22/singapore.visa.caning/?hpt=T2

Would be hilarious if they can prove he was discriminated. "Hey man I'm an American so I got a right to forsake my obligations! It's part of my cultural heritage! This is racism!"

The Singaporeans, like most other constituents of the hypercapitalist conglomerate that is Southeast Asia, seem to have done a markedly better job in carrying over elements of their traditional culture into their developmental stage than did the Americans. Good for them. Strike every blow home.

The Singaporeans, like most other constituents of the hypercapitalist conglomerate that is Southeast Asia, seem to have done a markedly better job in carrying over elements of their traditional culture into their developmental stage than did the Americans. Good for them. Strike every blow home.

Indeed. Singapore might be one of the most conservative countries in the world. People get fined for dropping chewing gum on the street, "gangsterism" is banned from schools and drug dealers (including marijuana) get the death penalty. Kamari Charlton should have realized what kind of country he was in but he didn't. Shame on him to suggest he's entitled to special rights, he should have some solidarity with the indigenous people to show his appreciation for their hospitality.

Indeed. Singapore might be one of the most conservative countries in the world. People get fined for dropping chewing gum on the street, "gangsterism" is banned from schools and drug dealers (including marijuana) get the death penalty. Kamari Charlton should have realized what kind of country he was in but he didn't. Shame on him to suggest he's entitled to special rights, he should have some solidarity with the indigenous people to show his appreciation for their hospitality.

As a Westerner, and one with more than a slight libertarian streak in him, it does strike me as a bit excessive. But to intrude on their ground, to overstay your welcome in their nation all the while knowing what sort of punishment it would merit, is the height of stupidity. You don't have to adore an alien culture not to smugly and arrogantly test its wrath. Sadly this is how most Americans are viewed, I fear, by others around the world.

October 25, 2010, 07:08:27 PM
Diseased modern mindset reporting

Miss O'Connor gave reply in a 1957 essay titled "The Fiction Writer and His Country." It was precisely secular modernity's deadening effect on the individual conscience, she asserted, that necessitated her thematic emphasis on the sordid, the depraved, and the grotesque; people needed to be shocked, shaken up, and reminded of what was important. "To the hard of hearing you shout," she wrote, "and for the almost-blind you draw large and startling pictures."

http://www.alternativeright.com/main/blogs/zeitgeist/sex-and-violence-traditionalsim/

Underground metal and progenitors like Black Sabbath and Judas Priest found the same truth:

Death metal, originally developed for the artistic vision that when death and horror are more real than individual moralization, people rediscover life, flourished, but also found itself under onslaught from gazillions of imitators.

http://www.anus.com/metal/about/history/

Re: Modern Mentality News Desk
October 26, 2010, 02:20:10 AM
Novelty and originality are hipster nonsense: http://www.amerika.org/politics/intellectual-property/

Substance and quality matters most.