Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Murder for compassion

Murder for compassion
October 11, 2010, 11:55:04 AM
Her opponents would rather needless prolonged suffering of another go on than make a hard decision that hurts only themselves in the long run. Who's really the sinner and the saint here?

A pro-abortion UK columnist provoked outrage from advocates of the disabled and horrified her fellow panelists on a BBC television show after she enthusiastically supported the smothering of suffering infants.

Author Virginia Ironside, who has a regular advice column in The Independent newspaper, appeared on the BBC's Sunday Morning Live show to argue that killing unborn disabled children is a possible act of mercy. But the other women on the show quickly reacted in horror after Ironside indicated that she was willing to go much further than simply advocating abortion.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2010/oct/10100505.html

Re: Murder for compassion
October 11, 2010, 12:14:17 PM
I'm not ready to fault women for being outraged and appalled at someone desiring to kill babies.

October 11, 2010, 01:34:07 PM
"Abortion is murder.  Sometimes murder is preferable though." - Peter Steele

October 11, 2010, 01:53:37 PM
Clair Lewis, an advocate for disabled individuals, excoriated the columnist for advocating the eugenic elimination of disabled people.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2010/oct/10100505.html

The implied meaning of this: Clair is a sadistic woman who wants to spread suffering. Scoff! What is the actual take of it by people like this? Just more humanist nonsense?

October 11, 2010, 01:58:52 PM
AIDS ridden as they became, Death and Metallica both spoke to the rational, amoral side of this debate with the themes on Pull the Plug and One. Existence's worth is relative. The moral authority imposes the inherent value of existence on everyone, even if to others there is absolutely nothing that can come from it other than pain and suffering, on spiritual, physical and emotional levels. It's borderline tyranny.

October 11, 2010, 02:04:05 PM
Like Wolfgang said, it's only natural for most people -and women especially- to be horrified by such a thought. I doubt my perception of a larger reality would be able to surpass the instinctive care I would have for any child I gave birth to, faults and all. Yes, in an objective sense such an act would be merciful. But would anyone really prefer life in a purely objective society? This is, at heart, a metal forum - and metal is a type of music, thus a form of art. Would there be any need for art in an objective society? Is art truly NECESSARY at all?

On the other hand, the idea of killing someone who's in a permanent coma/paralyzed/etc. is far less outrageous to most of society. But I would imagine that, for those near to the individual, it's nearly as difficult as doing the same to an infant. Even more difficult, in some ways.

Smallest scale = don't kill it because I love it.
Larger scale = kill it because it's not going to have a worthwhile life.
Largest scale = don't desire to kill it (whether you do it or not) because without the emotional bond formed by instincts of genetic self-preservation, and the social unification provided by an acceptable moral code, society (i.e. the mutual cooperation of large numbers of individuals) has no basis for existing in the first place. In the larger context of the society we currently share, such a pursuit would be disastrous.

October 11, 2010, 07:32:17 PM
I've always viewed killing a suffering infant as a compassionate act.  As for old suffering people, a vast majority of states in the US do not allow them to killl themselves via prescription drugs (to end suffering, no matter how badly they are suffering).  Most people who advocate "pro-life" campaigns & ideals, as I have observed, do so because it makes them feel better morally.  No thought goes down the "dark path" of killing the suffering or horridly disabled so that they do not have to live a sickly life.  In the end many pro-life'ers are hypocrites, and to a variating length selfish.

October 12, 2010, 02:22:43 PM
How is it not okay for the elderly to release themselves from a life of pure misery? I am absolutely beside myself with disgust for people that do not have tolerance for assisted suicide...okay not absolutely beside myself. Only very adamant in my opinion on this matter. I am also a firm believer in pro choice matters concerning abortion of children...

October 12, 2010, 08:22:15 PM
How is it not okay for the elderly to release themselves from a life of pure misery? I am absolutely beside myself with disgust for people that do not have tolerance for assisted suicide...okay not absolutely beside myself. Only very adamant in my opinion on this matter. I am also a firm believer in pro choice matters concerning abortion of children...

I understand, and I honestly agree with your point of view.
There is no sin in upholding such a position.
There is only social hypocrisy that impedes it.

You regurgitated what I said earlier :(

October 13, 2010, 12:29:58 PM

I understand, and I honestly agree with your point of view.
There is no sin in upholding such a position.
There is only social hypocrisy that impedes it.

You regurgitated what I said earlier :(

Then why frown about it? Unless you're embarrased of knowing me ; P
Yeah, I know regurgitation is not the most charming thing in the world, but fuck man, you regurgitate too sometimes you know! And if you don't... well then you're just a better person than me, which means that you are smarter, that you can express your opinions better, and that you have even more composture than me! : D

I just overuse emoticons.  :) :'( >:(  -__-   

October 13, 2010, 12:46:59 PM
Thanks, I'm definitely going to use the fish and philosophy ones.