Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Proto-Genres

Re: Proto-Genres
May 29, 2006, 12:18:35 PM
I think recognizing Beherit as a proto-black band is in error- while it's true that TOoBB is proto-black metal, their more important metal albums, MdM and DDtM have nothing "proto" about them.

I agree, I was referring to demo-era BEHERIT only (that which predated BELIAL).

Annihilaytorr

May 30, 2006, 08:03:13 AM
Some refer to these proto bands as "first wave".

Black Metal - Bathory, Sodom, Mercyful Fate, Von

Death Metal - Slayer, Venom, Possessed, Deathstrike, Kreator, Sepultura

Speed Metal - Motorhead, Venom, Satan, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Mercyful Fate

Nu Metal - Slayer, Morbid Angel, Duran Duran, Ice Cube, Madonna, Boy George, Nirvana

Power Metal - Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Iron Maiden

May 30, 2006, 09:10:39 AM
You know what, i'm not going to respond anymore, i have realised that i should be more like you and not worship god anymore. Thankyou for making me see the error of my ways, i will try to be less christian/slipknot fan in future.

~tear~ I'm glad it had a happy ending after all.

June 02, 2006, 11:10:58 PM
Proto-metal:
Black Sabbath
King Crimson
Led Zeppelin
Jethro Tull
Iggy Pop

Steppenwolfs track 'Born to be Wild' which even includes the words "Heavy Metal"

Annihilaytorr

June 03, 2006, 05:13:28 AM
Yes it does, but if we want to go that route then we have to add Jimi Hendrix because he was described as "heavy metal" in a mag once, and that opens a lot of nasty doors this site wants to board up forever...

June 03, 2006, 10:59:11 PM
Actually the entire lyric was "Heavy Metal Thunder" and if memory serves Hendrix was never described with the 'Thunder' part so we safe for now.   (besides on the other Anus message board there was a huge thread titled "Aryan roots of Metal" or something similar that hashes all this out, hey did it get erased though?)

JACULA
January 13, 2009, 04:48:26 AM
Can discussions on the subject still be continued here?

I thought it would be interesting to mention an Italian group by the name of JACULA.

From their website:
The Jacula mystic-psycho-dark band was founded by the eclectic philosopher-composer-guitarist Antonio Bartoccetti (Antonius Rex lead guitar), the musician Charles Tiring (church organ), and the experimental sound enginneer, vocalist and keyboards player Doris Norton... The band is considered by the international critics as "the most authoritative band of the deeper parabiblical mystic sound". The band is characterized by the unique parapsychological style of the works, esotheric messages, fight against pollution and against any kind of war and violence. Antonio Bartoccetti also is the founder of the Antonius Rex cult group. Jacula band released the albums "In Cauda Semper Stat Venenum" (1969) and "Tardo Pede in Magiam Versus" (1972). In the 2007 "Tardo Pede in Magiam Versus" is released as the "35th Anniversary Edition". It also includes the previously unreleased track 'Absolution' (song composed by Bartoccetti-Norton). The thirth Jacula album is entitled "Pre Viam" (2008).

On their first album  "In Cauda Semper Stat Venenum" some of the techniques that are now seen as being characteristic for the genre of metal can be heard. This makes an interesting fact if the album was indeed released in the year 1969(!).

See also:
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Jacula
http://www.antoniusrex.com/

January 13, 2009, 06:44:34 AM
Yes it does, but if we want to go that route then we have to add Jimi Hendrix because he was described as "heavy metal" in a mag once, and that opens a lot of nasty doors this site wants to board up forever...

The Ian Christe book "Sounds of the Beast" debunks this effectively, for those who haven't already heard how Hendrix was the opposite of heavy metal: guitar wail not bassy, structured sound.

January 13, 2009, 09:03:59 AM
The opening riff of 'Fire' by Hendrix sounds alot like the opening riff of 'Immortal Rites'.
Trey has confessed liking Hendrix.
But yeah, I agree with Hendrix being overrated crap.
Carry on.

January 14, 2009, 08:07:06 AM
The opening riff of 'Fire' by Hendrix sounds alot like the opening riff of 'Immortal Rites'.
Trey has confessed liking Hendrix.

There are many influences in metal which are add-ons instead of structural influences.

Trey also adores Mozart and Eddie van Halen.

February 05, 2009, 09:14:28 AM
I agree with Hendrix being overrated crap.

Hendrix was horribly overrated. I'm not saying he was terrible, but he is by no means a guitar god. Eric Clapton, Yngvie Malsteem, Van Halen, Chuck Schuldiner, and even Trey were/are far better guitar players than Hendrix could've ever hoped to be.

February 07, 2009, 07:42:34 AM
Hendrix was horribly overrated. I'm not saying he was terrible, but he is by no means a guitar god. Eric Clapton, Yngvie Malsteem, Van Halen, Chuck Schuldiner, and even Trey were/are far better guitar players than Hendrix could've ever hoped to be.

It's more of WHAT he played than HOW WELL he played that gets him such adoration. The effects and distortion and whatnot, he's considered to be one of the first to explore the loud noisy guitar sounds that we are accustomed to today.

Not sure as to how valid those claims are. He was a pretty good guitarist, far better than I, but as you have pointed out there were and are still much better players.

February 10, 2009, 05:05:13 AM
Maybe Emperor could be consider proto gayness metal like Cof and Dimmu Borgir. Cos they un-intetionally insipired such bands, more so than other second wave black metal bands anyway.

Very true.

When Emperor started the symphonic BM concept, it wasn't all that bad at first. But, the symphonic bands that came after were terrible.

Emperor was not a bad band, but most of the acts they inspired were beyond gay. The same could be said for Suffocation & brutal death metal.

Re: JACULA
May 29, 2010, 04:59:46 AM
Can discussions on the subject still be continued here?

I thought it would be interesting to mention an Italian group by the name of JACULA.

From their website:
The Jacula mystic-psycho-dark band was founded by the eclectic philosopher-composer-guitarist Antonio Bartoccetti (Antonius Rex lead guitar), the musician Charles Tiring (church organ), and the experimental sound enginneer, vocalist and keyboards player Doris Norton... The band is considered by the international critics as "the most authoritative band of the deeper parabiblical mystic sound". The band is characterized by the unique parapsychological style of the works, esotheric messages, fight against pollution and against any kind of war and violence. Antonio Bartoccetti also is the founder of the Antonius Rex cult group. Jacula band released the albums "In Cauda Semper Stat Venenum" (1969) and "Tardo Pede in Magiam Versus" (1972). In the 2007 "Tardo Pede in Magiam Versus" is released as the "35th Anniversary Edition". It also includes the previously unreleased track 'Absolution' (song composed by Bartoccetti-Norton). The thirth Jacula album is entitled "Pre Viam" (2008).

On their first album  "In Cauda Semper Stat Venenum" some of the techniques that are now seen as being characteristic for the genre of metal can be heard. This makes an interesting fact if the album was indeed released in the year 1969(!).

See also:
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Jacula
http://www.antoniusrex.com/

No thoughts on this one?

May 29, 2010, 06:12:09 AM
The background to occult Italian music is an interesting study