Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Proto-Genres

Proto-Genres
May 23, 2006, 11:58:30 AM
Trying to spend some time recently listening to transitional stuff, e.g. bands caught between a past style and a future style that was substantially different.

Proto-metal:
Black Sabbath
King Crimson
Led Zeppelin
Jethro Tull
Iggy Pop

Proto-Speed Metal:
Motorhead
Tank

Proto-Death Metal:
Master
Necrovore
Sodom
Hellhammer
Bathory

Proto-Black Metal:
Merciless
Belial

Conclusion: proto-genres introduce the elements of the new genre and the theme it will attempt to fulfill as articulated in the style of the past genre, but the new genre connects both idea and method and makes it work.

Annihilaytorr

Re: Proto-Genres
May 25, 2006, 07:46:49 AM
Merciless were a death/speed metal band from the late 80s and early 90s that did not even release an album until Norway was in full swing.  I understand why you might have selected a band with that sound, but it seems to me that Tormentor would have been a better choice.

Had Necrovore released an album, it would have been as "Death Metal" as Leprosy.

May 25, 2006, 10:23:44 AM
Maybe Emperor could be consider proto gayness metal like Cof and Dimmu Borgir. Cos they un-intetionally insipired such bands, more so than other second wave black metal bands anyway.

aimanirrajim

May 25, 2006, 04:02:18 PM
Maybe Emperor could be consider proto gayness metal like Cof and Dimmu Borgir. Cos they un-intetionally insipired such bands, more so than other second wave black metal bands anyway.

:'( he's all grown up...

May 25, 2006, 04:05:41 PM
I agree with BELIAL with the caveat that BLASPHEMY/BEHERIT be recognized with them as earlier bands of similar style, who doubtless influenced BELIAL directly.

As for MERCILESS not releasing an album until "Norway was in full swing," that is totally incorrect.  In 1990 (the year of "The Awakening") there was hardly a musical conception of the "Norwegian" scene...there was no BURZUM to speak of, EMPEROR were still THOU SHALT SUFFER, IMMORTAL were AMPUTATION, etc...not to mention that most of that material dates back to 1986-1988. They were clearly important in some regard to early second wave BM (their place on DSP being pretty telltale).  I do agree that TORMENTOR is similar and deserves a nod as well.

Annihilaytorr

May 25, 2006, 04:24:03 PM
Hmm, I thought it was 1992. My mistake.

edit - ah yes, the second one comes out in 92.

May 26, 2006, 04:52:33 PM
I think recognizing Beherit as a proto-black band is in error- while it's true that TOoBB is proto-black metal, their more important metal albums, MdM and DDtM have nothing "proto" about them.

May 26, 2006, 06:06:30 PM
Why can they not be both?

I assume that you meant EDM above.

May 27, 2006, 03:56:24 AM
Proto-speed Metal:
Led Zeppelins track 'Communication Breakdown'

Proto-Viking Metal:
Led Zeppelins track 'Immigrant Song'

May 27, 2006, 05:35:57 AM

I assume that you meant EDM above.

No, I meant Messe Des Morts.  EDM, while better than MdM, isn't a metal release.

Death

May 27, 2006, 07:23:08 AM
I would add Satan (UK) to the proto speed metal list. Judas Priest also made extensive use of the palm muted repetitive strum that would later become characteristic of speed metal.

May 27, 2006, 07:25:07 AM
Kreator and Slayer as proto DM

May 27, 2006, 12:33:43 PM
:'( he's all grown up...

Why do you insist on this pointless bickering, and calling anyone who is more intelligent than you a smartass, just give it fucking rest.

aimanirrajim

May 27, 2006, 10:20:32 PM

Why do you insist on this pointless bickering, and calling anyone who is more intelligent than you a smartass, just give it fucking rest.

i do not recall calling you a smartass on that particular post, so why dont you just fuck it, christian.

May 28, 2006, 02:28:05 AM
You know what, i'm not going to respond anymore, i have realised that i should be more like you and not worship god anymore. Thankyou for making me see the error of my ways, i will try to be less christian/slipknot fan in future.