Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

How do you listen to music?

How do you listen to music?
May 23, 2006, 09:31:50 PM
Upon hearing Tangerine Dream for the first time, I've never felt more absorbed in any kind of music like this in a while. In order to isolate myself with just the music, I often lie down in the darkness with distractions turned off in my head. With other music such as black or death metal, I'll sometimes wander around or go to the beach at night to isolate myself. I was wondering if anyone else does this or has any other "special" method in listening to music.  

Re: How do you listen to music?
May 23, 2006, 09:53:43 PM
As above, I often lie in a darkened room and try to absorb myself in the sound. It can work on two levels, depending on how tired I am. If I am not tired, the nuances of the music take the fore and I notice a lot of the implications of certain techniques and structural themes. This is generally when thoughts on an album sort themselves out.  On the contrary, the haze of sleep takes the music somewhere completely different... It's hard to explain, but it is certainly more hallucinogenic.

Some times I go walking with a set of reasonable headphones, usually somewhere that other people are not likely to venture - such as local bushland, or in my suburban area after dark. Sometimes I venture through the local university campus, which takes on a different complexion at night, in its desolate state. These times are not usually as profitable in terms of 'mental experience', but they are relaxing and intimate and have the potential to stimulate good internal dialogue - even if it has nothing to do with the music itself.

Some times I'll get a bit adventurous (lol) and walk into the city center. The distorted noises emitted within this commercial wasteland amplify the importance strength of Metal's anti-modern stance. Perhaps people will not see this as transcendental as it includes the problem in its conclusion, but it works for me regardless.

Music is all about mood. It's intriguing to see how different surroundings and mindsets can completely change what you are hearing.

Does anyone else find this to be the case?

May 24, 2006, 12:24:28 AM
yea i find that where you are will change your musci experiance, like driving with your family on yet another "happy" vacation to somewhere that takes a million hours to drive to, you will want to forget everything but the music and embrace it, but there are still distractions so i find its almost like trying to hear a person talking when i truck drives by, you have to focus on it and it becomes distorted.

but when it comes to mood i do find that where you are inhances the mood of the song, after all a funeral march is meant to be played at a funeral and has speical significanse there,

May 24, 2006, 08:16:32 AM
what i think about metal and how do i see metal.i mainly hear those black metal bands like children of bodom,cradle of filth typebands some of death metal bands lik cannibal corpse and blood bath actually i prefer melodic black metal bands more lik children of bodom after forever and all melodic black metal has a really good melody within it unlik death metal which is more aggressive.bbut melodic black metal has more structures too so i am a choosy kind of person i choose the metal music which has more venom into it.you can also say that i hear those english heavy metal too.so i listen to my music in a choosy method .

May 24, 2006, 08:49:52 AM
metal is of all kinds i listen mostly to death metal and black metal when i listen to the song i feel myself into it thats my type of lisneing

May 24, 2006, 08:52:49 AM
metal is of all kinds i listen mostly to death metal and black metal when i listen to the song i feel myself into it thats my type of lisneing

Allow me to point you here:

http://www.anus.com/metal/

May 24, 2006, 10:11:08 AM
Anyway, I usually use headphones and play some stupid game: right now it's minesweeper.
Yeah minesweeper is stupid - you should play tetris.

I mostly listen to music while sitting in front of my computer clicking through homepages I have seen a million times before....
And of course, I would never go for a walk or drive a car without listening to music

May 24, 2006, 12:52:13 PM
For me, it depends on whether the music is the point. If I want to listen to music for the sake of the music itself, I lie down and cover my eyes and try to let the sound fill me up. This tends to work especially well if it works physically, like if there's loud bass that shakes everything. I have music on pretty much constantly, often playing the same song on repeat for hours, but that's when I want to get something else done and the music is just on for a background.

May 24, 2006, 01:02:15 PM
Mostly when I browse the internet, I listen to my mp3s.  However, I also use my ipod and stereo.  I find that when I use my stereo that the music sounds the best.

I also listen to my ipod when I go for walks, a drive...etc.

May 24, 2006, 06:00:37 PM
I have two ways of listening to music.  One is when I am really enjoying an album, where I am paying attention to little else (maybe playing Solitaire) and the second is where I am enjoying the music but not really giving it my full attention (this happens a lot since I listen to music all day).  I find that black metal is excellent for the second form of listening, since lyrics are often impossible (and not neccesarily meant to be) understood, which makes the song easier on my consciece mind.

May 25, 2006, 02:07:52 AM
Burzum, headphones, and woodland are a great mix, particularly Filosofem. journeys are often a good time to get to know music as well, you become completely focused on nothing else. other than that, sitting in a room in complete darkness is the best way, you notice patterns and sounds that you otherwise never noticed.

aimanirrajim

May 25, 2006, 03:43:02 PM
first of all make sure you're not deaf... ( :D) turn off the lights and lie in bed, facing skywards. if you live in a rural area with no sound of cars or similar junk, is a big bonus! prepare yourself by getting into an utter state of melancholy and you will do fine!

Annihilaytorr

May 26, 2006, 05:49:27 AM
An album of bagpipe music and a drive through rural country roads to a secluded lake: that is what life is all about.

May 26, 2006, 11:00:42 AM
I listen to ambient, sometimes astral-type music right before (or as) I fall asleep at night. Ras Algethi is one of my favorites. With nothing to distract you, you notice the intricate parts of the music and it is easy to feel the mood.

Besides that... while relaxing, writing... I tend to use nature sounds a lot as well. Death metal makes a great de-stresser.

Annihilaytorr

May 26, 2006, 01:23:45 PM
I used to use marijuana to enhance the listening experience when I was younger. The drug, especially for a less experienced smoker, allows consentration on nuances within the music. It also allows for easier separation between instruments.

Though the concept of this seems antithetical to the ideology usually lumped onto elite Black Metal, smoking marijuana especially enhances this style of music.