Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

How do you listen to music?

Re: How do you listen to music?
May 26, 2006, 09:04:29 PM
Burzum, headphones, and woodland are a great mix, particularly Filosofem.

Oh yes, that's a great experience.

If I want to give an album my full attention, I always play it in complete darkness. Otherwise, the usual applies.

Demilich lyrics rhyme. Why?

Hahaha, good question!

May 27, 2006, 09:28:59 AM
I generally walk through suburbs and woods at night if I really want the full experience from, say, Burzum or Emperor. For death or thrash metal, I find that I can't sit still while listening to it, so I need to get up and pace back and forth.

Annihilaytorr

May 30, 2006, 08:05:51 AM
Some how I don't get the "black metal experience" while walking through sub divisions...

dysentery69

May 30, 2006, 10:39:01 AM
Something like Tangerine Dream is best enjoyed  after knocking back a few beers (or smoking marijuana, but if you work in a drug-free workplace like I do it will have to be beer) and relaxing preferably in a reclined position.  The same can be said for King Crimson, Kraftwerk, Hawkwind, etc.

I enjoy classical music that way as well, or when reading, studying, or just thinking.

Driving, however, is a completely different story.  Then I would prefer death or black metal as it makes a long drive much more tolerable.  Not that Tangerine Dream wouldn't, it's just that I might get pulled over going 10 mph.

May 31, 2006, 06:59:11 AM
Walking through the countryside is an obvious method. There is a dark and deserted country path near where I live that provides an excellent backdrop for Black Metal and Ambient music (particularly "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" I find). There used to be a beautiful dark pine forest near my home but sadly it was deemed too "overgrown" and the majority of the trees have been cut down.

Edinburgh is an excellent city to walk through while listening to music whether in the city center or the suburbs. It has an ancient feel and its ugly modern features seem crudely superimposed over it. This provides an intruiging context for music such as Black Metal. Individual pieces of architechture contribute powerful imagery to a listening experience. Therefore I often conciously plot a route that will take me past certain landmarks.

Listening in the solitude of my own room is not a preferred method. I'm not entirely sure why this is. While I have no problems using my imagination to conjure imagery I find that being enclosed within four walls is counter productive to the full appreciation of the music.

May 31, 2006, 11:55:07 AM
I can enjoy the music pretty much anywhere, considering I'm not doing something that requires much concentration.

But still, it's the most enjoyable in solitude, preferably in darkness.

May 31, 2006, 12:37:45 PM
I've got one of those music phones with built-in speakers. I like going to my local state park at night (even though the curfew is 8pm during the summer) and playing music without the use of headphones.

I find that using headphones in this type of environment isolates me from nature, when I really want to remain a part of nature with the music.

May 31, 2006, 10:41:39 PM
well nobody shoot me for this but i used to listen to extols album burial, i know its a christian band but i find they bring emotions to the surface that i dont find many other bands to do, i used to listen to them when i was all alone in my bedroom but i find that ive escaped to the computer, i think where you are has little impact on the music unless your in the inviroment that the song is about

Vajra

May 31, 2006, 11:29:45 PM
Upon hearing Tangerine Dream for the first time, I've never felt more absorbed in any kind of music like this in a while.

When I heard a song by Tangerine Dream, it felt like massive circles intersecting each other in a vast blackness, and revealing a blinding light as they move, like when the totality of a solar eclipse is over. One of the most tangible (or something)experiences of music I have. When I found out that the song was called 'Sunrise in the Third System', it was like, "that is really incredible".

June 08, 2006, 12:34:48 PM
You smoke one or too joint marihuana and three or five bootels of beer and good band. ley down in to a bet and listen.ooouuu its good wery,wery good.

July 23, 2006, 04:30:29 PM
I've found that listening to bands like Burzum while jogging (or walking) in the forest at night works out great. The way the atmosphere of the music mixes with all the smells and sights of the forest is amazing.

I don't do it every time though. Some times it's nice to hear what's going around you too, as the forest at the evening/night has a lot to offer. The sounds of the wind, animals, rivers etc. can be just as  enchanting as music (if not even more).

Ambient, space music, and other "dreamy" music works really well when going to bed.

July 24, 2006, 08:33:09 AM
You might be treading on dangerous ground, associating Burzum with jogging and subsequentially some notion of "jogging suit metal."

Anyway, I mentioned before I like to keep my left brain occupied with some pointless task, and recently I have been playing a lot of minesweeper, which helps improve your logic skills as well.

I like minesweeper, but it's not entirely based on logic. You can't guarantee yourself a win because there is still luck involved.