Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Metal Related Architecture

Re:  Metal Related Architecture
June 12, 2006, 11:55:54 PM
Chapel of All Saints, Kutna Hora, Czech Republic.

Decorated with the remains of some 40 000 of the faith:

http://www.vu.union.edu/~stodolan/prague_web/kutna_hora/Chandalier.JPG

[image too large to embed in the thread]

For me personally though, a gothic cathedral rattles my bones more completely:

June 13, 2006, 03:55:42 AM
The cathedral of Amiens in France, right ?  :)

http://faculty.evansville.edu/rl29/art105/img/gothic_intamiens.gif

you are french as I can guess? Many great cathedrals there, I'm going to Bretagne in August and I'll try to find the grimmest of all religious buildings.

euronymous

June 13, 2006, 04:07:05 AM

http://faculty.evansville.edu/rl29/art105/img/gothic_intamiens.gif

you are french as I can guess? Many great cathedrals there, I'm going to Bretagne in August and I'll try to find the grimmest of all religious buildings.

'Il y a des pays
Où les gens au creux des lits
Font des rêves.
Ici, nous vois-tu
Nous on marche et nous on tue
Nous on crève…'

No, he's only a francophiliac guy

June 14, 2006, 12:11:48 AM
The cathedral of Amiens in France, right ?  :)

Oui, c'est vrai.

June 14, 2006, 11:45:31 AM
No, he's only a francophiliac guy

Do you know, poor guy, that more than 1 country is francophone?

I'm a french-canadian, so thanks for posting such good stanzas just for me.

euronymous

June 14, 2006, 02:19:05 PM

Do you know, poor guy, that more than 1 country is francophone?

Really? I always thought that the name Québec had a chinesse root, Canada was in Asia and Orion was just a Jethro Tull song

I'm a french-canadian, so thanks for posting such good stanzas just for me.

nah...just copy-pasted from Sisyphe's signature...

should I add an smiley?  may be this time I should  

;D

euronymous

June 14, 2006, 02:21:00 PM
Just discovered AIDSland in this board is the country of canadians, lol

June 14, 2006, 02:28:54 PM

- Baradla Cave in "Aggtelek" region of Hungary.

To me, an integral component of metal is its organic quality. So why not let Nature be your guide in searching for "architecture" that follows in the same tradition?

This cave features a major "hall" in which symphonies have been performed for subterranean audiences, as well as a pipe organ that had been crafted out of a well-suited stalagtite column.

Since visiting five years ago, I'd dreamed of the possibility of having a metal performance there. But then I'd consider that most metalheads are slobs and would leave beer cans and other such litter there.

June 14, 2006, 03:27:57 PM
http://www.brodyaga.ru/images2002/Sagrada%20Familia%20DSCN1719_brodyaga_ru.JPG

And it's not done yet.

yes.. that CHRISTMAS TREE is fucking metal.

June 15, 2006, 05:57:02 AM
yes.. that CHRISTMAS TREE is fucking metal.

Imagine it without it, smart guy.  ::)

June 15, 2006, 07:13:04 PM
The Eiffel tower? mmm... I don´t know.... I've always thought about it as a sculpture more than architecture... I mean the space inside is almost unuseful, I think, and doing architecture is basically doing with the space, what the musicians make with the notes, or what the writers do with language... art...  the beauty of the tower is obviously, I think, more (or basically) exterior than interior...

June 16, 2006, 06:27:32 AM
The Eiffel Tower is amazing, especially when you view it from the base looking up. When I see it this way, I think mathematics more than art. It's more mechanical then anything else. On a clear day though, the view from the top is worth the long lines.

June 17, 2006, 12:50:49 AM
This has nothing to do with architecture, but this needs a plug:

Fucking A.

September 20, 2006, 06:17:56 PM
I find this thread fascinating.  I started another thread not knowing of the existence of this one.  I'm a masters student studying architecture and I would like to do my architecture graduate thesis on metal.  I'm in the stage of research so I'm looking for material that is pertinent to metal and architecture.  The examples posted so far are pretty interesting.  There are instances of gothic design and a few churches which isn't really a surprise.  Though the bank tower has a gothic style can it be representitave of a metal architecture since it is a corporate construction representing consumerism and materialism?  Someone mentioned castles which makes sense being structures built not just for shelter but for security, suggesting a prolonged or constant state of war as well as representing strength, dominance and power.  I find the suggestions of brutalist architecture and organiscism most compelling.  Brutalism beign an attempt at achieving meaning through an honesty of materials.  I posit that an architecture that is in alignment with metal should be distinctly regional.  It should be expressive of local culture and heritage and it should be expressive and responsive to the local climate and environment employing local materials and techniques.  I feel as well that a large appeal with heavy metal is the sense of empowerment and strength.  There is architecture that represents power and the work of albert speer is a pretty good example.  Speer's work is also monumental and highly symbolic, should architecture aspire to such monumentality?  Is heavy metal a monumental genre?  The themes of destruction, violence and suffering are also interesting to me I would like to incoporate these themes into my thesis as I believe they are rather important in metal.  Any comments and suggestions of more architecture or writings that you feel are congruent with metal and architecture would be much appreciated.  

September 20, 2006, 06:42:59 PM
I've always liked the old architecture, not like the plain buildings you see these days. The old gothic style churches and castles as well as all of the Greek and Roman ruins that are left over. My favourite will always be the ancient Egyptians though, how they built temples out of the rock itself and their underground mazes that would go on for miles to stop grave robbers. But let's not forget the Aztecs and their mathematically accurate structures, so advanced for their time.