Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Technical Black Metal?

Technical Black Metal?
May 24, 2006, 09:27:39 PM
Is there such a thing as technical black metal?  I know BM isn't generally seen as a 'technical' genre, but I don't see any reason why this isn't at least theoretically possible.  The closest I have found in my searches is Unlord, which is only technical in the sense that the music is very tight (Ie, not as sloppily played/timed as a lot of BM) and very fast at the same time.

Thanks,
- Dissected Goddess

Re: Technical Black Metal?
May 24, 2006, 09:39:17 PM
Yes, there is. What comes to mind first is Absu and Immortal, but Black Metal, even at it's most instrumentally proficient, never has 'technical' in it's name, for technique is only a means to an end.

May 25, 2006, 02:00:35 AM
yeah, check out absu's 'tara' album.

May 25, 2006, 07:44:57 AM
Beherit and Burzum

May 25, 2006, 08:43:04 AM
Sacramentum play technical style Black/death metal. But immortal was the first name that came to my mind. Most black metal is deliberatly primitive however, like early Darkthrone, but technical black metal does exist however.

May 25, 2006, 11:08:51 AM
I would say, that every black metal band is technical, in it's own way. Because it takes a certain technique to create the "style" of black metal, that all individual black metal bands create. Even the most minimalistic black metal band is technical, because minimalism is a technique, too, as something you, eventually, could add to your music. All musical traits/attributes, makes the music technical.

May 25, 2006, 12:58:32 PM
Technicality is often confused with flamboyancy, when true technical prowess lies in subtle nuances such as variations in picking technique, overall song structure, and displaying slight alterations in riff structure, seldom to be repeated.

Once you realize this, you'll find yourself appreciated that which may be termed "technical" about these albums, which have been recorded with greater clarity (something I believe you indicated you were seeking):

Angelcorpse - This American band is a blend of black metal and death metal, insofar as technical aspects are involved.

Averse Sefira - "Tetragrammatical Astygmata" One of the few times I've encountered crisp production utilized to the advantage of a band.

Enslaved - "Vikingligr Veldi" and "Frost" (as well as "Eld" and "Blodhemn", but I prefer their earlier work)

Gorgoroth - I find technicality in their best works, "Antichrist" and "Pentagram", but I'd suggest giving "Destroyer" a try and working backwards from there? Not technical per se, but there are interesting experiments with "noise" and wandering themes. (Hat, however will always be a better vocalist than Pest or Gaahl.)

Immortal - "Blizzard Beasts" (My favorite track on this album is "Mountains of Might", which coincidentally would probably be most representative of the "technical" sound you are seeking.)

Nokturnal Mortum - "Nechrist" Folk music is technical, and this is the NSBM group's best album, IMHIV+O.

Vinterriket - Not really black metal; I believe their latest album features more black metal elements. However, this ambient band essentially incorporates the aesthetic and atmosphere of intelligent symphonic black metal...minus the black metal.

May 25, 2006, 05:46:46 PM

Yes, that's a really "technical" album. It's no surprise Demonaz ran into problems with his fingers and his hand after playing all of this Pure Holocaust, Battles In The North and Blizzard Beasts-like stuff during several years.

I don't really consider this a Black Metal album. It has a lot more to do with Death Metal than anything else. Great album nonetheless.

May 25, 2006, 08:55:15 PM
check out the legion's 'Revocation'

Ergriefer

May 25, 2006, 09:55:10 PM
yeah, averse sefira and absu are the ones that come to mind with the technicality.  i think to say that primitive BM is "technical" simply because it uses a technique is too broad a use of the term.  by extension, all music would be "technical" under that definition.  

the meaning i would give to that term is a situation where the assorted techniques (trem picking, sweep picking, arpeggios, hammer-ons) carry the body of the song, as opposed to the melody or underlying harmony.  it really is a more perjorative term, and one that doesn't really jive with black metal.

aimanirrajim

May 25, 2006, 10:52:29 PM
behemoth?

May 25, 2006, 11:27:09 PM

Can you reccomend this band's best material?

"Landschaftsmalerische Klangwelten synthetischer Tonkunst" is a compilation of earlier stuff, and is Vinterriket's best material. "...und die Nacht kam Schweren Schrittes" is probably the top full-length album.

May 25, 2006, 11:35:23 PM
Antaeus and Axis Of Advance are two bands which come to mind. Middle-era Sacramentum probably fits the bill too.

May 26, 2006, 06:29:28 AM
Much as I love them, Dissection and Absu owe their technique to both black metal and death/thrash respectively. Unless you're thinking of new Dissection, which owes its technique to crap.

Immortal is what pops into my head.

May 27, 2006, 03:07:29 PM
Talking about technicality, Old School Black Metal is definitely technical. Possessed, Sarcofago adn Hellhammer...