Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Satanism and metal

Re: Satanism and metal
June 06, 2006, 11:41:09 PM
if you ask in christian why satan has power they will tell you he can only do what god permits, and until revalation god allows him (her?) to live in his kingdom (which might not be hell for there is nothing in the old testament saying that hell exsist) and go whever god is not present, althought god is ment to be everywhere how can satan do anything without defying his will and becoming a god in his own right, its simple evil is just an absence of good, any christian will say that any who rejects god accepts satan coz he is removing good from him so evil is now all that remains.

this is why i belive satan dosent belong in metal the way the majortiy of people think he dose (we worshipp satan because we belive he is evil and evil is greater than life) mainly because why would we worshipp a being that for one has no power and that proberly almost everyone on this forum belives in (because if u belive in satan you belive in god aswell). Metal (dont kill me if this is wrong) is about making a new form of society other than that of democracy that imbraces nature, promotes people who are brave, smart and care about more than themselves, if we were to worshipp him like the mainstream thinks we would then all of that would not exsist. If we worshipp him we do so knowing he is evil so we want the oppiste of brave people, and we would be selfish and why would we care about the enviroment when we would harvest it for our own gains (supprisingly enough this is what a democracy is like).

i myself avoid most bands that worshipp satan an the only few i listen to are simple because they make good music asides from there message

June 07, 2006, 08:05:22 AM
"Satan" is metaphor, that's it. It's a symbolic mascot, like God is apparently some old white dude with a beard. We can replace this red hoofed being with the name "Princess" and have it designed with Blonde hair and blues eyes. But who gives a shit?

The point is in what it represents, which "happens" to be all things opposed to Christianity. If I happen to follow a religion that, on all counts, does not agree with anything Christian, even if I had never heard of Christianity, would you call me a Satanist? Well of course not. I wouldn't even know what you'd be talking about.

Metal bands who are smart also realize that God and Jesus and all the Angels and Disciples are metaphor as well. It's a way to illustrate the conflict and stand against all ideas Christian, which happen to get in the way of our goals.

June 07, 2006, 09:28:44 AM
Satan is a great anarchic mascot for many a misspent youth and the COS. (I love the fact that Christians genuinely believe that a red man with a goaty beard, a pointed tail and a pitchfork will torutre them unmercilessly if they sin. Ace!) Satanism is a great excuse for ego worship and selfish behaviour. T hat is pretty much it.

Black Metal used the metaphor in hilarious ways (every band that is doing it for "him" and the rants by Euronymous and Darkthrone) and interesting ways (Emperor and, err, Emperor? I'm sure there are others) It worked well for a bit and then it didn't.

Satanic images on Maiden's 'Number of the Beast' and Sabbath's 'Born Again' (fucking classic cover art) I still dig today.

Annihilaytorr

June 07, 2006, 08:03:41 PM
Satan rejects the utter insanity that is the system God created, no matter the eventual consequences.  Satan is the spit in the shepherds eye.

June 08, 2006, 12:53:16 PM
if god exist then Satan exist too,if god not exist then satan not exist.becous+ needs - and - needs+  

June 09, 2006, 11:34:59 AM
Satan as an idea, as a symbol, something to relate to is perfectly fine. The personified form of freedom, rebellion, and the idea of not accepting everything for what it is. Take it as you wish, see it as you will, as something to relate to, something to draw courage from, or maybe even something more tangible. It is a wonderful idea and works wonders for inspiration and musical content. However, when it is taken too seriously and people begin to argue and fight over the idea it becomes juvenile. At that point, you are no better than extremist christians. Basically I believe satan as a metaphore is great, hell even god as a metaphore is great too....just don't take it too seriously. And if you do take it too seriously and are into the whole killing for your god bullshit, please just keep the ignorance to yourself.

June 10, 2006, 10:57:59 PM
thats all well and true, but who from the mainstream world would belive a word of what we have said, they would see it as us wanting to be evil and simply use satan as a way to oppose the biggest religion in the world

Satanism and metal
June 11, 2006, 07:28:50 PM
Point taken Nile.
After revising the book i can see another side to it. The satanic symbolism and metaphor of satan that is created to represent opposition, heroism and intelligence is what has kept me attatched to the beliefs. When infact the two (for the most part) can be separate.
I see now though that for every few statements that makes sense and that hold true, there is one that is foolish and of pointless 'rebellion'.
The things that make sense in the book seem to be the beliefs that are common with Anus nihilism. Which really, makes the satanic bible obsolete now for me.

--------
mayhem-to-carnage you are an idiot. Its been said a million times that satan is metaphorical in metal as in romantic period literature. You seem attatched to Christian myths and stories about what Satan is.

June 17, 2006, 08:48:40 AM
There have been many threads on the subject resently and i have seen that many disaprove of satanism as he was a christian creation. Many say that in metal it is used as a metaphor, but it is not clear to me how this is done. Any one have any thoughts on this.

As far as I know, Satan symbolises rebellion, refusal to serve and freedom.
"Tis better to reign in Hell than serve in Heav'n." - Milton, Paradise Lost

And the above quote is an excellent example of it.

And as most of today's society and civilization is based on values of Christianity, it means rejection of it, and going back to the roots.

July 02, 2006, 06:12:15 PM
As far as I know, Satan symbolises rebellion, refusal to serve and freedom.

I like the gnostic idea: good birthed evil so that good would not die of an excess of good (imagine a perfect land: boring).

Satan is both symbol and metaphor. He was a rebel, yes, and he did utter those immortal lines about "Better to Reign in Hell Than Serve in Heaven," but then he found emptiness in power for its own sake... as much emptiness as the Christian dog did when he sent down his illegitimate love-child Christ.

July 03, 2006, 08:53:19 AM
I think Christianity would be better off if Adolf Hitler, Satan, and Jesus merged into a divine ruler with infinite wisdom, and he would be called Adolf von Satan-Christ der Ubermensch or something cool like that.

Annihilaytorr

July 03, 2006, 03:34:58 PM
No it is totally dumb when you mix names of different figures like that...

...oh...shit

September 23, 2006, 02:11:22 AM
I always thought of Satanism as metal like Satan in Milton, Blake, Keats, etc. He was an inspiring figure of the occult, both a promise of power and a warning, like a sword in a stone in that only those with the inner strength could wield it.

The metal "Satanism" bands like Watain think is really cool is really dumb. It's like Metalocalypse or This is Spinal Tap, losers pretending to be important while embarrassing themselves in the eyes of anyone with a brain.