Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

May 25, 2006, 11:37:23 PM

Re: Death/Black Metal in academic circles.
May 25, 2006, 11:53:59 PM
Yeah, though moreso the underlying social movement than the music itself.

Annihilaytorr

May 26, 2006, 11:09:07 AM
 I am guessing the 'history of heavy metal' page is probably Prozak's senior thesis or something, but do you think there are actually any professors who take this stuff seriously?

No, Metal is White Devil music.

May 26, 2006, 03:49:31 PM
After reading the Pyramid essay, I would like to discover what lies in the top most chamber of black and death metal. Realism would be my pick, but that comes from a more death-oriented metal upbringing.

Either lower tiers of pyramids intersect one with another or the lower tiers come to resemble one another. For example, America's top most chamber probably contains Liberty. Liberty has corrupted Realism at the lower tiers, suggesting an overlap. Capitalism at a lower tier beneath Liberty has joined with or assimilated a tier under Realism.

Hence, most metal is going to suck. Different pyramids hold more sway during different eras. Liberty is the largest pyramid during our era and its broad base of lower tiers has swelled into the adjacent competing pyramids.

September 23, 2006, 10:06:17 AM
I know people love to study classical, jazz, and even rock and pop music at universities, but has anyone researched black/death metal at all?

There are people who study it like Robert Walser or Deena Weinstein but the question remains... do they understand it? Academics study all kinds of stuff and usually end up concluding something utterly irrelevant. "We have proven that time is a Feminist..."

It reminds me of the way academia "studied" punk. Instead of buying Discharge CDs, they all trooped out to see the Dead Kennedys and concluded that punk was rock music. Brilliant. Has anything important come from academia since Noam Chomsky?

You're probably looking for this thread about academic attitudes toward metal.

Death

September 25, 2006, 03:24:19 PM
I know people love to study classical, jazz, and even rock and pop music at universities, but has anyone researched black/death metal at all?  I know some people have done work on heavy metal in general, but what about the more underground esoteric works from the mid eighties on?  I am guessing the 'history of heavy metal' page is probably Prozak's senior thesis or something, but do you think there are actually any professors who take this stuff seriously?

It wouldn't matter anyway since anyone who's up to the task is going to be another bullshit academician devoted to the "study" of arts, literature, or some such other worthless touchy feely discipline whose only purpose is to prepare the next batch of "academics" for funnelling grant money toward that field. The metal scene would make a fine opportunity for a psychological case study though, what with the high incidence of homosexuality, drug abuse, suicide and lives wasted on shitty music.

September 25, 2006, 03:40:48 PM
I'd tend to be wary of academic interest in metal.

Most academic interest in art and subcultures usually takes the form of sociological explorations or analysis using one of the many variants of critical theory.

Why those avenues of investigation?  Because they allow academics to write about art or artistic cultures without having to know or understand them in any sort of context - send out some surveys, do some more survey work at a few concerts, blather about 'phallic imagery' and voila, you have a monograph!

October 03, 2006, 03:17:54 AM
WELL im a metal-head and an academic and a msucician ......but the metal comes first.....its great studying it as a sub-culture or genre...............but in the end its about the music ,....and not those farty humm comments usually thrown about by rveeiwers at ANUS............

October 03, 2006, 07:22:50 AM
ANUS is only trying to show people how metal should be viewd, which is an elitist view

October 08, 2006, 12:29:48 AM
It wouldn't matter anyway since anyone who's up to the task is going to be another bullshit academician devoted to the "study" of arts, literature, or some such other worthless touchy feely discipline whose only purpose is to prepare the next batch of "academics" for funnelling grant money toward that field.

What a closed-minded attitude. Academics have discovered innumerable scientific facts, like that humans don't have souls, love is a chemical illusion, there's nothing to live for, intelligence is not genetic, race doesn't exist, and eating poo is a rebellion against the patriarchy.