Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Cephalopods

Re: Cephalopods
October 18, 2010, 06:25:26 AM

October 18, 2010, 07:15:13 AM
Intelligence and awareness are gradients, not a binary black and white, on or off, as the subjects of Dunning and Kruger's study, who are all anthropocentricists, would have us all believe.
Sure, sure, but where does the octopus rank on this scale honestly? You just devils advocating here or do you have a pet octopus you swear is self aware?

Being able to figure out some basic puzzles does not mean this animal is or is evolving toward anything that resembles higher intelligence as we understand it. You can speak in circles about how humans don't understand the true nature of sentience all you like though, and fantasize about octopus master races, if that verily floats your boat. I'm not here to judge.

October 18, 2010, 07:50:49 AM
Intelligence and awareness are gradients, not a binary black and white, on or off, as the subjects of Dunning and Kruger's study, who are all anthropocentricists, would have us all believe.
Sure, sure, but where does the octopus rank on this scale honestly? You just devils advocating here or do you have a pet octopus you swear is self aware?

Being able to figure out some basic puzzles does not mean this animal is or is evolving toward anything that resembles higher intelligence as we understand it. You can speak in circles about how humans don't understand the true nature of sentience all you like though, and fantasize about octopus master races, if that verily floats your boat. I'm not here to judge.

You brat! Human-centric disbeliever!! Your ignorance is blasphemy to the truth! Behold the power of the octopus:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_the_Octopus

October 18, 2010, 01:37:25 PM
You just devils advocating here or do you have a pet octopus you swear is self aware?

Being able to figure out some basic puzzles does not mean this animal is or is evolving toward anything that resembles higher intelligence as we understand it. You can speak in circles about how humans don't understand the true nature of sentience all you like though, and fantasize about octopus master races, if that verily floats your boat.

This is all a strawman. You'll need to do better.

October 18, 2010, 03:25:41 PM

It seems you are just being confrontational for its own sake. If you don't care about this subject, don't post.

October 18, 2010, 03:49:48 PM
Stupid in, stupid out. Have you actually read this thread at all?

Serious question Scourge, where would cephalopods rank on this scale of yours?

October 18, 2010, 04:16:20 PM
Were you the one in and out of the psych ward or the one with the addiction to hard drugs? I don't recall at this time. Is your attention seeking behaviour the result of my correcting your inability to follow simple directions last week or is it just a history of childhood neglect?

October 18, 2010, 04:36:19 PM
Wow, dey be gettin bad argumentative practice ALL UP IN DIS SHIZZLE, DAWG

Word

October 18, 2010, 05:19:16 PM
Serious question Scourge, where would cephalopods rank on this scale of yours?
Somewhere in the middle, I would guess.  Did you want an exact figure or something?

October 18, 2010, 06:33:11 PM
Were you the one in and out of the psych ward or the one with the addiction to hard drugs? I don't recall at this time. Is your attention seeking behaviour the result of my correcting your inability to follow simple directions last week or is it just a history of childhood neglect?

Don't take yourself so seriously my friend. You've filled this thread with holier than thou assbabble. Garbage in, garbage out. Post value is a gradient and yours are on the low end. Don't act surprised and don't play stupid.

Oh nevermind. Squid people will inherit the Earth in ten million years.

October 18, 2010, 07:05:03 PM
So what we can take away from this is that one night of filling my PM box with your snivelling wasn't enough. Correct?

October 18, 2010, 10:49:00 PM
Former British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli wrote, “Imagination governs mankind.”

I can appreciate why in the Hindu mythos life, animals in particular, is sacred. Although it may seem tree huggerish, the underlying lesson here is also found in Linkola's make room for nature proclamation. We could at least give young people an alternative to the anthropocentric materialist dualism which would have mankind in one segment and all other living things in another segment, an apparent mythology in its own right.

The point given here is to mend our own exisiting imagination and mythology as other cultures have learned to do. Animals are like other people, but of a genus different than our own, but sharing our world nonetheless.

In the field of cognition, the march towards continuity between human and animal has been inexorable — one misconduct case won’t make a difference. True, humanity never runs out of claims of what sets it apart, but it is a rare uniqueness claim that holds up for over a decade. This is why we don’t hear anymore that only humans make tools, imitate, think ahead, have culture, are self-aware, or adopt another’s point of view.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/17/morals-without-god/?src=me&ref=homepage

October 19, 2010, 02:28:19 AM
lol scourge. How many you gonna delete? Post our convo from that night since you brought it up. I double dog dare you. Fuck it. Triple dog dare you.

Honestly though, you've won me over. I recommend a tribe page be created for Cephalopods. I recommend we recognize Otto as their supreme leader.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/3328480/Otto-the-octopus-wrecks-havoc.html

Staff believe that the octopus called Otto had been annoyed by the bright light shining into his aquarium and had discovered he could extinguish it by climbing onto the rim of his tank and squirting a jet of water in its direction.

The short-circuit had baffled electricians as well as staff at the Sea Star Aquarium in Coburg, Germany, who decided to take shifts sleeping on the floor to find out what caused the mysterious blackouts.

A spokesman said: "It was a serious matter because it shorted the electricity supply to the whole aquarium that threatened the lives of the other animals when water pumps ceased to work.

"It was on the third night that we found out that the octopus Otto was responsible for the chaos.

"We knew that he was bored as the aquarium is closed for winter, and at two feet, seven inches Otto had discovered he was big enough to swing onto the edge of his tank and shoot out the 2000 Watt spot light above him with a carefully directed jet of water."

Director Elfriede Kummer who witnessed the act said: "We've put the light a bit higher now so he shouldn't be able to reach it. But Otto is constantly craving for attention and always comes up with new stunts so we have realised we will have to keep more careful eye on him - and also perhaps give him a few more toys to play with.

"Once we saw him juggling the hermit crabs in his tank, another time he threw stones against the glass damaging it. And from time to time he completely re-arranges his tank to make it suit his own taste better - much to the distress of his fellow tank inhabitants."

October 19, 2010, 02:35:45 AM
Absolutely BIZZARE!

October 19, 2010, 02:53:29 AM
I don't see the need for expressions of bigotry against the other peoples in the world, especially as unwilling captives under the oppression of zoological containment.