Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Winterreise

Winterreise
October 16, 2010, 05:53:42 PM
I'm looking for stuff similar to Schubert's Winterreise. I've had a great reverence for these pieces, and it's probably my most listened (not necessarily favorite) work of Schubert.

Re: Winterreise
October 16, 2010, 07:47:43 PM
Try Schubert's other cycles (Schwanengesang and Die Schone Müllerin), Brahms' Vier ernste Gesänge and Schumann's Dichterliebe. Richard Strauss' lieder are very different from the other 3 but his Vier letzte Lieder are essential. For lieder in general I tend to stick with artists like Hans Hotter, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau and Kirsten Flagstad.

October 17, 2010, 07:08:31 PM
Dichterliebe recommended recording.
Brahms has also written many more good Lieder other than his last four.
Similar for their lyrical quality are Piano Concertos (Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms).
I could upload Draeseke's Lieder sometime in the future. They are tougher to "digest", though.

October 19, 2010, 04:05:06 PM
How are Schubert's Goetheliebe?

chv

October 23, 2010, 07:56:42 AM
Schwanengesang.

October 23, 2010, 12:55:54 PM
Hugo Wolf

January 08, 2011, 11:32:47 AM
How are Schubert's Goetheliebe?

Nice wordplay--I did not grasp it at first.

Franz Schubert - Goethe-Lieder (1970, Fischer-Dieskau, Demus, Moore)

February 28, 2011, 02:23:43 AM
Mussorgsky, perhaps further removed from Schubert in culture and technique than Schumann or Brahms, yet nonetheless a kindred spirit, at least in his song cycles "Sunless" and "Songs and Dances of Death", magnificently recorded by Boris Christoff alongside his other songs. Schoenberg's Opus 15 is far more worldly and erotic yet also ravishingly beautiful and lucid, there's an outstanding recording on Naxos if you haven't heard it yet.

I would greatly appreciate an upload of the Draeseke Lieder, his work is relatively hard to come by.