Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

What is black metal death metal etc...?

Re: Black Metal
June 18, 2006, 03:19:00 AM
It's true...not every band with satanic lyrics it's black...u can see that morbid angel who talks about Satan,demons, devils and stuff it's pure death metal...anyway black metal has many subgenres like viking metal (Bathory,Finntroll), raw or brutal black metal (early mayhem, darkthrone), symphnoic black metal (enlslavement of beauty, cradle of filth, dimmu borgir) or more ambiental oriented (like the actual burzum).

Satanism or at least a whole lot of hatred towards Judo-Christianity and modern religions in general is a definitive part of Black Metal especially during the first wave (Mercyful Fate, early Bathory, Hellhammer) It is true that there is Satanism in Death Metal (Possessed, Nunslaughter, Deicide, etc.) but it is less common in Death Metal and  is much more identified with Black Metal, due to the first and second waves.

P.S. Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir are gay and do not deserve the term Black Metal or Metal at all, they are nothing more than Pop/Rock

Re: What is black metal death metal etc...?
June 21, 2006, 04:13:07 AM
Hahaha ; I bet by grindcore you mean spazcore like Anal cunt?

June 21, 2006, 05:02:06 AM
The Dark Legions Archive is good for people who already know the genres well and want to explore the specific musical ideas and differences, NOT for people who are just getting into metal.  One of the few 'decent' descriptions of the various genres can be found here:

http://www.metalcrypt.com/genresframe.php

Either of you asking can PM me if you want to talk about it or need to know more.

June 21, 2006, 06:15:09 AM
If you cannot follow the DLA maybe you should try the Roadrunner forums.

Annihilaytorr

June 21, 2006, 04:26:58 PM
Hahaha ; I bet by grindcore you mean spazcore like Anal cunt?

spazcore? eat a dick.

June 22, 2006, 12:27:41 AM
Are you in the dark about what Metal is? I used to be before I started taking these great pills... actually no. As was mentioned in a recent post, it will take some time to figure out what is good or bad. But in the meantime read up on the history and philosophy of metal. Here are some links that ought to be relevant to the metal scholar:

Metal Q & A. Broad questions with comprehensive answers:
http://www.anus.com/metal/about/metal/q_a/

Hessian.org - Recently reborn, a basic site with introductory information. Watch this space for more developments:
http://www.hessian.org

Metal Guide for Beginners - A good link that covers some of Metal's history and provides listening recommendations:
http://www.officialworldgonemad.com/metalguideforbeginners.html

Black Metal FAQ from Desolate Gale - It is comprehensive and does well to answer a lot of basic questions in an insightful manner:
http://www.blackmetal.co.uk/ForumsPro/viewtopic/t=3967.html

(Sisyphe's links may not be so useful for a complete newbie but definitely worth a read)

June 22, 2006, 12:36:15 AM
Whatever happened to Fenris/Berzerker? He was an intelligent poster who had plenty of good ideas and recommendations.

June 23, 2006, 03:06:56 PM
If you cannot follow the DLA maybe you should try the Roadrunner forums.

Now now, Tham-pants, everyone needs to start somewhere.  Even if that somewhere is at the very bottom of the barrel.

June 23, 2006, 06:01:40 PM

Now now, Tham-pants, everyone needs to start somewhere.  Even if that somewhere is at the very bottom of the barrel.

I think the implication of the earlier quip was regarding your perceived lack of intelligence at large, not just regarding metal.

i.e. that DLA isn't especially obscure or difficult, even if it may seem so.

PS: please note that in the above I did not make any claim as to the actual status of your intelligence.

June 24, 2006, 10:37:09 AM
Yay for reading material.

Metal Q & A. Broad questions with comprehensive answers:
http://www.anus.com/metal/about/metal/q_a/

^ This is my favorite so far. I like how philosophical and specific it is. And I like the discussion of anti-beauty at the bottom - I've had problems understanding that up to this point.

http://www.anus.com/metal/about/metal/future/
^ I also found this very thoughtful and informative. Yay for this site. Seriously.

June 25, 2006, 12:33:51 AM
well there are actual musical differences between the music as stated before, like for instance death metal is similar to speed metal except more focused on rythm and uses the guttering vocals and tends to be faster, were black metal is al about melody, but to an extent it breaks the verse chorus idea and flows into the ideas of motives (a motive is a small sequence of about 2-6 notes that is then repeated, played backwards ect) alot like classical and grindcore even im a little confused on but ill geuss that most grindcore is similar to napalm death where they play out of time on purpose and have the distorion running through all the music making it sound jut like sound as opposed to actually music
PS i said to make it sound like sound and i didnt actually say it sounded like sound

June 25, 2006, 04:29:20 AM

Rubbish. If given the chance by an excellent resource such as the DLA, the new listener should be aiming to expose himself to the very best. Why waste twelve months trawling through third-tier tripe when you could be starting to discover what makes the greats such as Burzum tick? Music may be a lifelong learning process, but if possible I see no reason to needlessly waste time.

June 25, 2006, 07:45:09 PM

I think the implication of the earlier quip was regarding your perceived lack of intelligence at large, not just regarding metal.

i.e. that DLA isn't especially obscure or difficult, even if it may seem so.

PS: please note that in the above I did not make any claim as to the actual status of your intelligence.

Well, obviously I can understand the DLA.  I wasn't actually suggesting anything about finding bands themselves, I was talking about defining the genres.  I'm sure most of us could say that the DLA's description of genres is a tad more esoteric than Metal Crypt's.  Once again, nothing about the bands; merely definitions.

June 25, 2006, 07:58:02 PM
Who cares about defining genres?

June 26, 2006, 06:44:17 AM
Apparently the OP.