Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

What is black metal death metal etc...?

What is black metal death metal etc...?
May 30, 2006, 12:11:02 PM
Hey I was just wondering what the difference between black metal and death metal, thrash and grindcore is...

AND

Im just looking for some new metal to listen to thats good if anyone knows a few bands it would be nice...

I listen to music like Overkill, Aborted, Deicide, Dying Fetus, Arch Enemy (old), Amon Amarth, Dissection
and a shit load of other music .... thanks to whoever helps

You honestly can't tell the differance between Black Metal and Grindcore??

Maybe he's an idiot like me? I'd like to hear some opinions - facts would be even better, heh - on this too. Uhm... Except, in my case, because I'm a loser, I'd have very little basis for comparison, so examples I could find and listen to would be really nice too. ;D
Me? I'm a metal pansy. It's kind of like being a steel magnolia, except we die when we get the shit stomped out of us by real metal fans, instead of just dying in childbirth like that one actress.

no BLOODSOAKED I kinda meant to say WHAT are all of those genres i know black metal is bands like immortal and grindcore is like mortician and dying fetus
but I'm not really sure what the hell they are...
and why the hell are you talking shit anyway this is a forum so i can ask questions if i want you dont have to be a bitch about it just dont reply

for the other guy: some good songs i listen to right now are

Amon Amarth- Versus the World
Deicide- Scars of the Crucifix
Dissection- Where Dead Angels Lie
Dissection- Black Dragon
Dissection- Maha Khali
Dissection- Frozen
Dissection- In the Cold Winds of Nowhere

and thats just obviously a bit if you like any of em and want more just ask... dissection is an amazing band

Neogitus -
Could you tell me which of the earlier-mentioned genres those bands/songs fit? I'm kind of... the reason I'm here is that I'm really fuzzy on a lot of things about this kind of music, subgenre classifications included, and I figured this would be the best place to learn, since a lot of the people who go here seem very articulate and passionate about metal. So anything will help ^_^

P.S. I'm a girl. You can probably tell.
Me? I'm a metal pansy. It's kind of like being a steel magnolia, except we die when we get the shit stomped out of us by real metal fans, instead of just dying in childbirth like that one actress.

Has dark legions archive gone offline for some reason?

If I were you, I wouldn't jump at music and devour everything I can find. Slow down. Savor the taste.

Listen to Morbid Angel, Gorguts, Immolation and Demilich.

Also, Burzum and Graveland. If you haven't already, listen to Emperor as well.

Has dark legions archive gone offline for some reason?

No :P I'm looking through it in my other window at the moment, so I can safely tell you that a.) It's online and b.) I'm an idiot for not looking through it before now.

And to Mati -
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely try them out. I already listened to Morbid Angel's Altars of Madness as a result of this forum, and I'm looking forward to Immolation after I get a feel for that.

Edit: I lose at forums. I hit submit before I even finished typing.

Ok Amon Amarth is "viking metal" (so i heard)
and they are a really good band i like almost all of thier songs they can also be death metal because even though there singing about vikings and shit there also talking about dying ( wars etc...)

I think Dissection is Black Metal because they sing about the cold...and angels dying and shit like that lol

dont take anything i say seriously either lol i know a shit load of music but i dont know genres that much really..... if you have msn or something so we can talk easier (if you wanna know more stuff) you can send it to me or something lol hope that helpps

Some I.Q. points might be necessary here and there in order to understand some things. Just saying this in case of possible disappointments.

More than I.Q. points, I think I'll need some coffee before I absorb those :P But I will definitely be reading them.

Oh yeah, and...
 Hell, it ain't Pink Frothy AIDS lyrics  ;)

Oh no! I listen to Pink Frothy AIDS ;_; Is that the kiss of death?

Genres aren't only defined by their lyrical theme. There is a big mussical differances between the sub-genres ex. Carpathain Forest doesn't sound anything like Suffocation.

If sub-genres were only about lyrical themes then  every satanic themed band would be black metal.

Don't get too hung up on how to categorize metal bands into genres. That's been done already and can be referenced. Keep an ear out for what's a worthwhile listen rather than what genre you're listening to.

Black Metal
June 17, 2006, 04:17:11 PM
It's true...not every band with satanic lyrics it's black...u can see that morbid angel who talks about Satan,demons, devils and stuff it's pure death metal...anyway black metal has many subgenres like viking metal (Bathory,Finntroll), raw or brutal black metal (early mayhem, darkthrone), symphnoic black metal (enlslavement of beauty, cradle of filth, dimmu borgir) or more ambiental oriented (like the actual burzum).
Anyway, if you want to listen to some good pieces of metal i recommand u:
Finntroll - Trollhammeren
Bathory - One Rode To Asa Bay
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Mayhem - Freezing Moon
Mayhem - Dom Mysteriis De Sathanas
Burzum - Dunkelheit
Enlavement of Beauty - Daintly Delusive Doll
Satyricon - Repined Bastard Nation

Annihilaytorr

Re: What is black metal death metal etc...?
June 17, 2006, 04:52:06 PM
If I were you, I wouldn't jump at music and devour everything I can find. Slow down. Savor the taste.

Listen to Morbid Angel, Gorguts, Immolation and Demilich.

Also, Burzum and Graveland. If you haven't already, listen to Emperor as well.

It took several years of listening to everything I could find to sort out what is good and what sucks. This guy is obviously a first year metalhead if he is still at the stage where he can't tell extreme metal genres apart. The more listening he does, the better. Simply copying what DLA says does not substitute for the ability to tell good music from bad or the experience it takes to do that.

The Dark Legions Archive is a good start but there is so much more to metal than that. Keep in mind that the year of an albums release is often a direct indicator of potential worth. The majority of DM coming out in 89 was good, but the majority of DM coming out in 99 was garbage.