Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Doom

Annihilaytorr

Doom
May 31, 2006, 07:11:13 AM
 Are there any other bands outside of Candlemass and Black Sabbath that are worth listening to?

Re: Doom
May 31, 2006, 08:29:25 AM
Are there any other bands outside of Candlemass and Black Sabbath that are worth listening to?

Electric Wizard - Come My Fanatics, also Dopethrone is pretty good.

Saint Vitus - Born Too Late

Just some ideas.

Vajra

May 31, 2006, 09:20:45 AM
Sleep - Jerusalem (1999)/Dopesmoker (2003)

Vajra

May 31, 2006, 09:22:29 AM
and, for modern Doom:

diSEMBOWELMENT -
Transcendence Into The Peripheral (1993)

Thergothon -
Fhtagn nagh Yog-Sothoth (1991)
Stream From The Heavens (1994)

Quite an empty Metal genre, really.

May 31, 2006, 10:06:56 AM
Bethlehem (Early)
Thergothon
Deinonychus
Paradise Lost (Early)
My Dying Bride (Early)
Katatonia (Early)

Raubritter

May 31, 2006, 12:10:21 PM
And Skepticism.

May 31, 2006, 02:05:24 PM
Bethlehem (Early)
Thergothon
Deinonychus
Paradise Lost (Early)
My Dying Bride (Early)
Katatonia (Early)

While I have enjoyed several works by thew above bands the problem I have with them is that they are unremittingly depressing. I acknowledge sadness as an inevitable and indeed important part of life but Doom appears to capitulate to it. Where is the positive message in this music?

May 31, 2006, 04:13:52 PM

Where is the positive message in this music?

Does there have to be one?

May 31, 2006, 05:53:16 PM
Negativity, at least in the sense most mean when cricitising doom metal, has no great purpose whatsoever. It's one thing acknowledging the hardships of the world, it's quite another crawling into the corner of the recording studio and having a little cry about it.

That said, there are a certain few doom bands who surpass (or at one time surpassed) the self-piteous sentimentality which typifies the genre, many of whom (not so) coincidentally incorporate elements from other genres:
Cathedral
Ceremonium
Skepticism
Disembowelment
Eyes of Ligeia
Nortt
Esoteric
Winter

I remain largely undecided about Thergothon, I think there's something worthy there but I'm never inspired to listen and really try to get something out of them. My Dying Bride's first album is pretty good, too, though very much deathier than the stuff that followed.

May 31, 2006, 06:05:07 PM
Pentagram - Day Of Reckoning (1987)
Witchfinder General - Death Penalty (1982)
Saint Vitus - Saint Vitus (1984)

All 3 being MANDATORY.

May 31, 2006, 10:57:16 PM
Why should all music carry a positive message ?

Yes, although it's nice to find music with an idea other than self-pity.

Doom metal fucking sucks. It's mostly bad heavy metal played slowly.

But there are some wonderful exceptions!

Early Cathedral (1st LP + EP)
First Ceremonium (!!!)
Saint Vitus
Winter
Ras Algethi
Thergothon
Skepticism

Death-metal-for-doomers:
Infester
early Therion
Asphyx
Incantation

Black-metal-for-doomers:
Burzum *

* - If you cannot accept that this is a superior adaptation of the doom paradigm, you're a mental inferior !

May 31, 2006, 11:12:44 PM
All the good ones have been mentioned, this is the only other I can think of:

Spirit Caravan

May 31, 2006, 11:29:51 PM
Black-metal-for-doomers:
Burzum *

* - If you cannot accept that this is a superior adaptation of the doom paradigm, you're a mental inferior !

YES!

I've often thought that Burzum sounded influenced by early doom, especially reminding me of Candlemass on parts of Det Som Engang Var, and simply by mood on Filosofem.

Doom metal bands should listen to Burzum (Dunkelheit) and Beholding the Daughters of the Firmament to feel a deeper, more transcendent sadness. Absolutely nothing I've ever heard comes close to the sadness present in those two songs especially.

June 01, 2006, 02:21:28 AM

Doom metal bands should listen to Burzum (Dunkelheit) and Beholding the Daughters of the Firmament to feel a deeper, more transcendent sadness. Absolutely nothing I've ever heard comes close to the sadness present in those two songs especially.

I find it funny that the place I come across the word "transcendence" the most is a so called nihilist society. Way to go.

On the topic, the only doom bands I really like are Winter and Thergothon. Stabat Mater as well, even tho I find the musical concept to be a bit different, put aside the slowness.

Lastly, Im wondering why you all connect doom metal to sadness; I'd rather say it comes quite close  to Burke description of the sublime.

June 01, 2006, 02:44:26 AM

I find it funny that the place I come across the word "transcendence" the most is a so called nihilist society. Way to go.

Transcendence in metal comes by reaching beyond the limits of the artform to create something incredible. A transcendent metal album to me is one which takes previous ideas to their logical extreme, and gives birth to new ones. Burzum transcends sadness by showing how valuable "what once was" is to him through his mourning of it, and thus he elevates his desire to see it become once again beyond a mere wish, and his display of sadness beyond mere whining.

Slayer transcends speed metal
Morbid Angel transcends death metal
Burzum transcends black metal, and metal in general.