Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Doom

Re: Doom
June 01, 2006, 02:54:06 AM
Well fair enough; it wasnt meant as an insult/criticism or anything, it wasnt even meant in regard to your post specifically, but just as a general observation that struck me once more...

The point is, I'd use that word as well in conjunction with music/arts, albeit I wouldnt use it related to technical aspects, but rather referring to content. In my eyes there is no need to break any genre boundaries to achieve trascendence. However, the concept of anything transcending something doesnt seem to make much sense from a nihilist's point of view...

June 01, 2006, 03:16:55 AM
On the topic, the only doom bands I really like are Winter and Thergothon. Stabat Mater as well, even tho I find the musical concept to be a bit different, put aside the slowness.

Have you ever tried out Ras Algethi? Oneicron - The White Hypnotic remains to be in my CD player to this day. You should really give it a try if you haven't already.

Vajra

June 01, 2006, 06:08:34 AM
Forget Stabat Mater.

First there was GRIEF
http://www.billtmiller.com/grief/

Then there came CERVIX
http://www.webalice.it/sarcellobello/

In the middle there was EYEHATEGOD
http://www.eyehategod.com/
but there's a lot of crap of theirs to filter out.

My Dying Bride's first album is pretty good, too, though very much deathier than the stuff that followed.

The actual 'death metal' moments on 'As The Flower Withers' are pretty lacklustre, though. You get the point of their inclusion, but they're not very well implemented.
The second album, 'Turn Loose The Swans' is better, although it may seem like a 'Nightfall' by Candlemass rip-off. Tolerance for the vocals is a must!

Nortt

Who the fuck needs Nortt when there is Burzum?

Bethlehem (Early)

Dictius whatever is simply one of the worst albums I have ever heard in my life. This is like Pink Frothy AIDS. It seems to have a cult-like appreciation among modern Doom Metal fanatics (stupid phenomenon in itself), though.

Annihilaytorr

June 01, 2006, 06:26:27 AM
Nortt and Burzum have the same goal musically - to depress - and while Nortt is influenced by Burzum they execute that very differently.  I am not sure I see such a direct similarity...

Vajra

June 01, 2006, 06:37:30 AM
Nortt -
http://web16265.web06.talkactive.net/sounds/Nortt-DedoedesKor.mp3

Burzum -
Dunkelheit

Comparison ensue.

June 01, 2006, 06:59:08 AM
Dictius whatever is simply one of the worst albums I have ever heard in my life. This is like Pink Frothy AIDS. It seems to have a cult-like appreciation among modern Doom Metal fanatics (stupid phenomenon in itself), though.

Comparing Pink Frothy AIDS to Bethlehem is completely insane, I fail to see any similarity in music, spirit or status.

Dictius isn't doom either, the first album definately is though, and doesn't have the over the top vocalist that Dictius has. That being said, I like their first three albums a lot, after SUIZID they more or less became a boring avant-garde/rock band.

June 01, 2006, 07:39:40 AM
I'm a bit sceptical of the immediate and total link between doom and fatalism. But maybe that's because I only listen to a few of the bands already mentioned.

I just listened to Forest of Equilibrium tonight and I'm tending towards In Memorium as their better work.

June 01, 2006, 07:50:59 AM
I remain largely undecided about Thergothon, I think there's something worthy there but I'm never inspired to listen and really try to get something out of them. My Dying Bride's first album is pretty good, too, though very much deathier than the stuff that followed.

I think Thergothon are the kind of band you'd either love or hate. I tend to use Thergothon to get into a trance like state, though they're a bit more crushing than most of the trance music I'm familiar with.

I definitely find the biggest flaw of Doom metal is the pathetic, self-pitying lyrics penned by so many bands. Even a couple of my favourites are guilty of this, though I try to stick to bands carry ideology I can respect. Too many crappy bands that are riddled with angst tends to ruin this genre a bit.

Two albums(well, one's an EP) worth mentioning that nobody has said:

Mournful Congregation - The Monad of Creation

Reverend Bizarre - Harbringer of Metal(includes a cover of Dunkelheit)

June 01, 2006, 08:01:57 AM
Death-metal-for-doomers:
Infester
early Therion
Asphyx
Incantation

The Chasm are also a good example of that, especially their earlier works.

I'd guess that there are probably a few Dead Can Dance fans on this board - they'd do well to check out dISEMBOWELMENT, who were influenced by DCD and showed it with odd ambient backdrops to much of their death/doom blasting. I'm also told that Trial of the Bow, an ambient/folk project bares much resemblance to Dead Can Dance, though I haven't heard it myself. Not to get off topic or anything...

Viriatus

June 01, 2006, 10:24:50 AM
Evoken - Quietus

one of the best doom albums of all times, if not the best. It's a mix of Funeral Doom with Doom-death.

June 01, 2006, 02:45:34 PM
I don't consider Burzum to be sad at all. I think his music is more anger and reflection, with hope for the future.

Doom metal have depressing lyrics, because it's all their looking to express; sadness.

I don't find that being the goal in Burzum.

June 01, 2006, 03:04:46 PM
The central problem that doom metal experiences is that the majority of people outside it's very small community only see Candlemass, Cathedral and My Dying Bride as existing.  Traditional doom such as Candlemass is a dead genre.  However, extreme doom has some amazing stuff now.  Funeral is still going strong, and drone is going some interesting places.  Observe:

Wormphlegm
Senthil
Bunkur
Skepticism
Thergothon
Khanate
Sunn O)))
Forgotten Tomb
Fungoid Stream

Try some of these out before you pass judgement on the entire genre.

Vajra

June 02, 2006, 05:59:56 AM
I don't consider Burzum to be sad at all. I think his music is more anger and reflection, with hope for the future.

Like 'Key To The Gate'. The sequence of leads that finish the song are emotive, begin melancholy and give one that chill of the spine, but concludes victoriously.

(Nokturn) Wormphlegm

Really? So how is their full-length? I've only heard the demo and it was some of the most atrocious material I've heard - not simply because it loans the vocal style of most-loathed Dictius whatever by Bethlehem.

(Bereft) Mournful Congregation - The Monad of Creation

and (even better) their split with Worship which I will try to upload to the Audiophile section.

I think somebody should upload HIEROPHANT, too.

Vajra

June 02, 2006, 06:27:26 AM
and (even better) their split with Worship which I will try to upload to the Audiophile section.

Shit. Somebody else do it.

June 02, 2006, 12:20:29 PM
I've only heard Wormphlegm's demo.  Everyone seems to have the LP, but no one wants to talk about it, for some reason.  Every time I ask someone, they just say that it's 'really sick and awesome' and refuse to elaborate.

Anyway, I *believe* that they're moving away from the dark ambient and drone infused style that they did before to just do straight, very extreme doom/death.  A video clip of them playing one of the new songs can be found here:  http://www.stillonline.be/.  Enter, go to the One Camera Video section, go to W, and go to Wormphlegm.  Tell me what you think.

Anyway, can you elaborate on why you disliked the demo so much?  I found it very good.