Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Doom

Re: Doom
June 02, 2006, 09:28:54 PM
Lastly, Im wondering why you all connect doom metal to sadness; I'd rather say it comes quite close  to Burke description of the sublime.

I would add William Wordsworth and Samuel Taylor Coleridge to that. Doom as an edge of experience was very much observed by the classic writers of what is considered the Romantic Period. Wordsworth's "The Thorn" comes to my mind as a good example. The same can often be seen in the Doom Metal scene. The Romanticism and atmospheric focus born from it is what brings Doom Metal so close with Black Metal.

June 03, 2006, 01:41:49 AM
Shit. Somebody else do it.

The Epitome Of Gods And Men Alike? Great song. I only have the MC side(also on The Dawning of Mournful Hymns), but I'll upload it when I have a chance.

As for Wormphlegm, their demo was the most tortured thing I've ever heard, and the vocals go way beyond that nutter from Bethlehem. I think it's quite like the sound Abruptum were going for, though done much better, like a successful blend of Funeral Doom and Drone with a bit of Worship's attitude.

Thanks for the link, I'll throw in my thoughts when I get a chance(I've only heard the demo so far).

June 03, 2006, 06:23:56 AM
Ah yeah, I forgot to mention Ras Algethi, they fucking ruled.

June 03, 2006, 08:39:37 AM
Death-metal-for-doomers:
Infester
early Therion
Asphyx
Incantation

You forgot Autopsy!!!!! Arrrrgggggg!

June 03, 2006, 08:54:06 AM
My recommendations would be bands such as:

Esoteric
disembowelment
Thergothon
Skepticism
Evoken
Mournful Congregation

Perhaps not in that exact order with the exception of Esoteric - slow and heavy as fuck, yet dreamy, reflective and trancendent with an astral-type feeling of the emptiness and infinity of space. A personal favorite. Definitely worth listening to!

I must say I'm a big fan of the more extreme branches of the doom-metal genres - a perfect way to slow down hectic days.

Also - as a black-metal fan I would, besides Burzum and perhaps I Shalt Become, recommend Sorg by Gorgoroth from the Antichrist album

June 03, 2006, 08:53:16 PM

I would add William Wordsworth and Samuel Taylor Coleridge to that. Doom as an edge of experience was very much observed by the classic writers of what is considered the Romantic Period. Wordsworth's "The Thorn" comes to my mind as a good example. The same can often be seen in the Doom Metal scene. The Romanticism and atmospheric focus born from it is what brings Doom Metal so close with Black Metal.

How about Keats?

Ode to a Nightingale is precisely what all of these doomers are after... but better.

June 04, 2006, 02:06:41 AM
I'm sure it's been said before but My Dying Bride. I've listened to quite a few doom bands and few measure up to them IMO.

June 04, 2006, 10:03:11 AM

You forgot Autopsy!!!!! Arrrrgggggg!

The list goes on: Fleshcrawl, Obituary, God Macabre. Amorphis

In Black Metal: Varathron, Samael

Annihilaytorr

June 04, 2006, 08:33:32 PM
I have gotten a lot off this thread, thanks.

One I only saw mentioned once is Pentagram.  Get the compilation of 70s material - First Daze Here.

June 04, 2006, 09:00:03 PM
I'm sure it's been said before but My Dying Bride. I've listened to quite a few doom bands and few measure up to them IMO.

Agreed to a certain extent. MDB is not the most extreme, but in craftsmanship I think few top them. I would add Anathema as well, though recently (since after Judgement) they seem to of lost focus.

The general praising of Esoteric on here is indeed worthy. Words such as Celestial, Cosmic and Apocalyptic certainly fit them well.

June 04, 2006, 09:49:52 PM
I like what some Doom bands can do for me, mentally. Listening to Ras Algethi's Oneiricon-The White Hypnotic can reduce me to a despair that wipes away pretension and falsehood. It imparts a very clear vision of the world. Other doom bands can move me in that direction, but only Oneiricon can put me in that exact headspace.  

So definitely check out Ras Algethi if you can.

euronymous

June 04, 2006, 11:02:21 PM
Like 'Key To The Gate'. The sequence of leads that finish the song are emotive, begin melancholy and give one that chill of the spine, but concludes victoriously.

Right.

YES!

parts of Det Som Engang Var, and simply by mood on Filosofem.

Doom metal bands should listen to Burzum (Dunkelheit) and Beholding the Daughters of the Firmament to feel a deeper, more transcendent sadness. Absolutely nothing I've ever heard comes close to the sadness present in those two songs especially.

Or mood on All DSEV

En ring til aa herske is the saddest Burzum song.

And don't forget han som reiste; or der tod Wotans in Hllidskjalf

June 05, 2006, 07:09:14 AM

Right.

Or mood on All DSEV

En ring til aa herske is the saddest Burzum song.

And don't forget han som reiste; or der tod Wotans in Hllidskjalf

I agree about En Ring till aa Herske.

Tuistos Herz is my favorite, and I think, his best song.

euronymous

June 05, 2006, 07:23:31 AM

I agree about En Ring till aa Herske.

Tuistos Herz is my favorite, and I think, his best song.

Tuistos Herz is awesome without any doubt, not my favourite Burzum piece though.

June 05, 2006, 07:02:05 PM

Doom metal fucking sucks. It's mostly bad heavy metal played slowly.

In the same way that death metal is bad heavy metal played quickly?