Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Is heavy metal 'rock'?

Viriatus

Re: Is heavy metal 'rock'?
September 25, 2006, 10:34:39 AM

That's too bad. Rock music is moronic bourgeois entertainment. Metal has the potential to be art, at least the stuff that isn't Guns and Roses or Behemoth.

Metal as potential to be art as well as Rock, or Electronica or Jazz. Metal hasn't got the exclusive of art in music. People keep forgeting this in this forum.

September 25, 2006, 12:09:45 PM
Metal as potential to be art as well as Rock, or Electronica or Jazz. Metal hasn't got the exclusive of art in music. People keep forgeting this in this forum.

Television commercials have potential to be art too. But they never are, because they are simple and designed for a simple function. Rock music is like a television commercial but it lasts 2.4 minutes longer.

September 25, 2006, 10:55:00 PM
i personally consider some rock music art, the doors or king crimson bands are more then just entertainment for entertainments sake, however i do agree with you that bands along the lines of AC/DC style rock and most modern forms of the music have little rite to be called art (although AC/DC are actually more complicated then they first apear)

September 27, 2006, 08:39:37 AM
The word rock, has such a broad meaning that you can't simply judge the whole genre and lump it all together. It's the same problem metal has, many bands that are just heavy rock are lumped into the catagory metal, which broadens it's meaning further, making it indefiniabel as a whole. In both genres there are the good, and there are the bad.

October 01, 2006, 10:00:41 AM
The record stores where i live also have metal/black metal under 'rock' Its probably because theyre too musically retarted to tell the difference between red hot chili peppers and CoF...

October 01, 2006, 08:45:23 PM
alot of this could just be people not putting cds back from where they got them, and why would you even look in a music store that contains CoF in the first place

and one last thing why does your banner put both iron maiden and system of a down on the same thing as if they were both equal

October 02, 2006, 12:32:46 PM
It's the same problem metal has, many bands that are just heavy rock are lumped into the catagory metal, which broadens it's meaning further, making it indefiniabel as a whole. In both genres there are the good, and there are the bad.

Yeah, but I don't see rock bands writing eleven riffs to fit together like a Rubik's Cube like Slayer does. What rock album is like Gorguts Obscura?

The problem we're having here is that metal is divided between fakers and people who get it in varying degrees. White Zombie isn't metal, Helmet isn't metal, Ministry isn't metal, is COF really black metal?

Even 1970s heavy metal was different from rock. Rock music sucks. So now does most metal. Is there a lesson to be learned here?

October 02, 2006, 01:25:32 PM
having eleven different riffs fitting into one song is easy, the reason most people dont do it is because its to many ideas to be expressed properly in such a short amount of time

October 04, 2006, 12:36:38 AM

Yeah, but I don't see rock bands writing eleven riffs to fit together like a Rubik's Cube like Slayer does. What rock album is like Gorguts Obscura?

The problem we're having here is that metal is divided between fakers and people who get it in varying degrees. White Zombie isn't metal, Helmet isn't metal, Ministry isn't metal, is COF really black metal?

Even 1970s heavy metal was different from rock. Rock music sucks. So now does most metal. Is there a lesson to be learned here?

I wasn't saying heavy metal is like rock, i was saying that bands such as Slayer, a metal band, now get lumped in with bands such as Bullet for my Valentine and Trivium. So the problem is that many people can't distuinguish between the good and the bad in metal. They tell can't that Slayer is good and trivium is bad for instance. The definition of metal becomes more broad with very good and very shit bands all lumped into one, a problem much similar to the genre of rock.

October 04, 2006, 12:53:44 AM

Prog Rock?

Vajra

October 04, 2006, 03:02:21 AM
The number of Prog Rock releases after the 1970's must total something along the lines of 0.

What has there been since to rival the compositional brilliance of King Crimson, for example?

October 04, 2006, 04:13:08 AM
The number of Prog Rock releases after the 1970's must total something along the lines of 0.

What has there been since to rival the compositional brilliance of King Crimson, for example?

Yes, the hight of Prog Rock can easily be said to of been the early 70's with King Crimson, Genesis, Pink Floyd and many others. However it certainly didn't stop there. I think it would be pointless to try and sum any of it up when this site does it all too far well: http://www.progarchives.com/

Along with that I think (and am fine to keep it to myself if that be the case) there have been numerious movements in rock music that have proved to proved real art, beauty and reflection.

October 04, 2006, 05:40:56 AM
Yes, the hight of Prog Rock can easily be said to of been the early 70's with King Crimson, Genesis, Pink Floyd and many others. However it certainly didn't stop there.

That's like saying that Metal didn't stop after the mid '90s. Neo Progressive is aweful.

October 04, 2006, 08:54:04 AM
That's like saying that Metal didn't stop after the mid '90s. Neo Progressive is aweful.

I tend to view it didn't. And that Prog is living best currently in the Metal and Post-Rock scenes (along with a few others).

October 04, 2006, 09:53:40 AM

I tend to view it didn't. And that Prog is living best currently in the Metal and Post-Rock scenes (along with a few others).

True. Most listenable prog metal goes as "avant-garde" or has roots in black or death metal, though.

There's been a prog revival in the past decade or so, and some of the swedish stuff is pretty decent. Anglagard and Wobbler have a more retro sound, while Liquid Scarlet, Anekdoten (excluding first two albums, which sound like Red era KC), Landberk, and Paatos have more modern influences.  None of those bands sound anything like neo-prog.

It also doesn't make sense to exclude 80's, which had important releases by bands such as Univers Zero and and Art Zoyd, although those tend to be classed as RIO.