Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Is heavy metal 'rock'?

Re: Is heavy metal 'rock'?
October 04, 2006, 12:58:57 PM
It's like a Family Tree so many diffrent Genres branch off of Rock..so I guess you could consider Metal in general Rock.

October 05, 2006, 09:34:04 AM
It's like a Family Tree so many diffrent Genres branch off of Rock..so I guess you could consider Metal in general Rock.

By the same cladistic reasoning, do you consider yourself to be a fish?

October 06, 2006, 01:44:17 AM
Well, humans and fish are both animals and humans evolved from fish. Rock and metal are both types of music and metal came after rock, and was inspired/developed from rock. An alien looking in on the world might lump humans in with fish in the same catagory in order to help him to catagorize the world and understand it more fully. Someone looking in on different music genres might lump metal in with rock to help him in much the same way. Elitist metalheads would naturally find this annoying, i myself would be pissed off if someone repeatedly lumped genuine metal artists in with average throw away heavy rock bands. But this is merely due to ignorance, they are classifying the music in order to help them understand it, if they looked further or were told otherwise, they might change this view.

With regards to record shops doing it, this is merely for ease of finding what you want, if you had a different section for every tiny sub genre then the amount of sections would be ridiculous, selling records is their main aim, not how different bands should be classyfiied.

October 06, 2006, 04:21:10 AM
Well, humans and fish are both animals and humans evolved from fish.

Wrong. It's a common evolutionary fallacy to claim that humans developed from the fish (or even apes), when in reality we just have common ancestors, which most probably were much more akin to the modern fish than humans.

Death

October 06, 2006, 07:02:26 AM
Wrong. It's a common evolutionary fallacy to claim that humans developed from the fish (or even apes), when in reality we just have common ancestors, which most probably were much more akin to the modern fish than humans.

Obviously humans didn't evolve from modern fish as we know them, but weren't those common ancestors also considered fish?

October 06, 2006, 08:55:19 AM
Obviously humans didn't evolve from modern fish as we know them, but weren't those common ancestors also considered fish?

True, but there should be (made) distinction enough that the statement cannot be considered equivocal.

October 06, 2006, 11:50:24 AM

Yeah, but what did rock branch off of? You're basically saying "all metal and all rock are music."

October 06, 2006, 02:05:34 PM

Yes. Tetrapods evolved from a branch of lobe-finned fish.

October 07, 2006, 02:48:12 PM
Good to see bickering over details derailed another good thread.

October 08, 2006, 02:21:19 AM
Good to see bickering over details derailed another good thread.

.....analytics

October 08, 2006, 07:50:48 AM
.....analytics

Maybe, but drift too much off topic, and it becomes an analytics thread that no one else wants to read. I don't argue these things are not necessary, but maybe need to be settled once elsewhere.

October 08, 2006, 09:40:05 AM
And in argueing over what was a simple example in such detail, means you miss the general point of the post anyway. It leads to deviating off the point.

October 08, 2006, 02:24:10 PM
And in argueing over what was a simple example in such detail, means you miss the general point of the post anyway. It leads to deviating off the point.

Which is what I feel Analytic philosophy does far too much.  Or maybe I'm just bitching because I have to read it.

October 08, 2006, 04:47:12 PM
I see the point in analytic philosophy, but re-defining the whole of it for every point that's basically a small detail I encounter, well, not for me please! The question here is:

Is heavy metal rock?

This requires a simple process:

1. Define what makes rock uniquely rock.
2. Define what makes metal uniquely metal.
3. Compare!

In my mind, metal or at least underground metal, is composed entirely differently from rock. Rock is about repeating the same ideas in different keys so they lead into one another, but metal is about making melodies connect together in a "sentence" if that makes any sense, that tells a story.

Burzum and Chuck Berry have nothing in common except their instruments, and those pre-date rock so there's no point even going there.

September 30, 2014, 04:04:59 PM
The 'Archambault' disc store chains here in Québec split rock music in Anglophone or Francophone music. Metal has it's own dedicated section and Black Sabbath can be found there. Aside from finding stacked skid displays of the latest Children of Bodom album ranging 10$ - 11.99$, I have purchased my own Onward to Golgotha copy for 29.99$ about a year ago. It appears obvious that rock is what sells but in the meantime, somebody in charge within the company is aware of a demand for classics. Among them not only have I found Incantation albums but many others, of course for a generous exchange of dollars in comparison to mass fodder. Importing discs from specific distributors for classics is usually more expensive for them therefore it should explain the price along with a naturally least demanding supply fill-up.