Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

What happened to, you know, doing things?

Re: What happened to, you know, doing things?
November 16, 2010, 06:31:30 PM
I'm sure almost everyone here has a life and does things.

A good question is what are doing about these problems we've diagnosed in the world? I try to troll/discuss the typical points in person all the time, slowly introducing ideas, in way that will actually be convincing, but that's only a handful of people. When trolls come along and ask what we're actually doing about the problems we see in the world, they have a good point, I think. When they say it, it's usually just an excuse to indulge in fatalism, but it's still valid.

What is, then, the ideal way of doing things? What do nihilists do when they see a problem they want to fix? What do they do to keep busy and involve themselves in worthwhile endeavors?
.. Was it that I was putting people on the spot to see what they actually DO besides post Darwinist rants on a message board? Who knows.

I message like this would aggravate many of you, but can I ask, with a more sympathetic tone, for an answer to it? I think the problem with coming up with a course of action is that the possibilities all seem too fantastic and untenable. Killing everyone under an IQ of 120? Not too bad a goal, but not something we can start on today. What's the first step in that direction? Maybe stop paying poor, irresponsible people to have more kids? Is that something we could work toward?

November 16, 2010, 06:38:27 PM
I'm sure almost everyone here has a life and does things.

A good question is what are doing about these problems we've diagnosed in the world? I try to troll/discuss the typical points in person all the time, slowly introducing ideas, in way that will actually be convincing, but that's only a handful of people. When trolls come along and ask what we're actually doing about the problems we see in the world, they have a good point, I think. When they say it, it's usually just an excuse to indulge in fatalism, but it's still valid.

What is, then, the ideal way of doing things? What do nihilists do when they see a problem they want to fix? What do they do to keep busy and involve themselves in worthwhile endeavors?
.. Was it that I was putting people on the spot to see what they actually DO besides post Darwinist rants on a message board? Who knows.

I message like this would aggravate many of you, but can I ask, with a more sympathetic tone, for an answer to it? I think the problem with coming up with a course of action is that the possibilities all seem too fantastic and untenable. Killing everyone under an IQ of 120? Not too bad a goal, but not something we can start on today. What's the first step in that direction? Maybe stop paying poor, irresponsible people to have more kids? Is that something we could work toward?

THIS is awesome; this is something I can build on.

I say that those with the ambition, intelligence, and ability to do so should obtain positions of respect and effect within society, and utilize those positions, along with the other aspects of their life that they are actively involved in, to positively, and perhaps semi-subliminally, promote positive values amongst the populace. This principle can be applied to a variety of fields, occupations, and actions, I think.

November 17, 2010, 02:44:51 AM
I'm less inclined to try and fix a sinking ship, and more inclined to make sure that I and those I care about can stay afloat after that ship has sunk.

November 17, 2010, 02:02:57 PM
I'm less inclined to try and fix a sinking ship, and more inclined to make sure that I and those I care about can stay afloat after that ship has sunk.

The ship is always going to sink sometime, and at some point your either going to have to fix it or build a new one. I'm not saying we should fix the modern world, I'm saying we should introduce the seeds of positive ideas to individuals we interact with, and thus have the most impact on, by acting on those ideas and thus ensuring that they propagate themselves for individuals who the responsibility of "building a new ship" will fall on to find, understand, and make use of.

November 17, 2010, 02:45:36 PM
Build a new one?  Sounds like a plan.

November 22, 2010, 09:50:41 AM
Erosion, I'm not sure you understood, or maybe I miscommunicated. Do you recall where in my thread I expressed discontent or disapproval towards anything at this message board? I don't think this place is just full of armchair-dwelling malcontents. I don't doubt that (most) members here do something. I'm just curious as to what that something is. My intent was somewhat similar to that of the "Good deeds" thread here I read a while back, or a thread where members could talk about any of their projects/exploits (ranging from arts to starting their own business).

Common man tends to cite things like charity (throwing cash at something) and helping the impoverished as means of community contribution. Obviously, there's more than that, and I think it sets a good example here for members to show other members what they do, why they do it, how they do it, and the positive results. It only makes sense to me that groups favoring action and changing society show what they mean.

My last post was merely taking the piss as a response to my thread being deleted when it clearly was not an attack on the forum (certainly not anymore than this thread is).