Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Good Ambient/Electronic Music

lucifer6

Good Ambient/Electronic Music
November 03, 2010, 05:34:02 PM
Like many others, the first that I heard of electronic music was in the context of the common trance-pop, techno and pretty much "clubbing" music, which I disregarded (quiet rightfully so I believe). Then a few years ago I discovered Kraftwerk, then Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze, and then I heard "Switched on Bach" by Wendy Carlos as well as her theme for "A Clockwork Orange". It seemed to me like I had discovered a whole new genre full of infinite possibilities. Yet I haven't been able to find more of this music that is on the same level of quality. Autechre comes close and I like some songs by VNV Nation, though I find them to be very hit and miss. Perhaps I haven't been looking in the right place. What are some of your favorite Electronic and/or Ambient artists?

Edit: I'm not sure if this thread belongs here on in the chasm, feel free to move it if it is misplaced.

Re: Good Ambient/Electronic Music
November 04, 2010, 01:24:14 AM
I can't recommend Biosphere's Microgravity and Patashnik enough. Especially Microgravity.

Fripp and Eno's Evening Star is another album from that Tan Dream/Schulze/Werk era of ambient that is legendary. For classical with Moogs and shit, Isao Tomita does great work, I can recommend his spacey take on Gustav Holst's Planets Suite, along with his other classical adaptations on "Snowflakes are Dancings" and "Firebird".

November 08, 2010, 09:59:07 PM
You can try Biosphere (Substrata), Aphex Twin (Selected Ambient Works Volume II), Raison D'Ętre (Collective Archives), Maeror Tri (Myein), Lustmord (Stalker), Sleep Research Facility (Nostromo / Deep Frieze), but also Profane Grace (by Ixithra from Demoncy), Beherit (Electric Doom Synthesis) and Suuri Shamaani (by Nuclear Holocausto), Jaaportit, Les Joyaux de la Princesse, Tetsu Inoue (Ambiant Otaku), Claustrum / Clausthome (from Lithuania), Aghast, Neptune Towers (by Fenriz of Darkthrone), Lull (by Mick Harris from Napalm Death), etc...

November 08, 2010, 10:28:06 PM
Raison d'Etre, Brian Eno (Discreet Music and Apollo especially). Some Endura is good (Black Eden, Great God Pan, The Dark is Light Enough). What has already been said is also very good. Klaus Schulze's X is excellent. All of these are fairly reminiscent of classical or neoclassical as well. Richard D. James' music is also a good place to look. Aphex Twin should not be missed. Personally, I find his acid/house material to be the best (Analord 1-11 under the moniker AFX). As for drone ambient, typically suggestions are Maeror Tri and Troum. While Biosphere's Microgravity and Patashnik are very good, I still would recommend Substrata over both. You can get away with just having these three albums from Biosphere. Also, while Jaaportit is similar to Biosphere, I would definitely check it out. Nothing but quality music from Jaaportit.

There is a lot of electronica out there nowadays and most of it sounds all the same. Venetian Snares may be a good option as some of the music is reminiscent of Bartok, but I did not enjoy it. Squarepusher is also a common recommendation, but it sounds rather superficial to me. Boards of Canada is also common, but it is boring to me.

Edit: Someone posted just before me. I guess this is just reassurance.

Personally, Sleep Research Facility and Neptune Towers get old rather fast. Haven't heard much of Lull, but it seems rather promising.

November 09, 2010, 09:31:17 AM
Enemite - Wuyuan (The Necrolatry).

Even with a cursory listen, one cannot help to think that this is basically an extension, of the same rebellion and embracing of the black that the Norwegians started in the early 90s. I would say thematically that this deals with much the same themes as Burzum (except that it is blacker, and has little or no resonation of hope). It deals with decadance, death and is a revolt against everything that this society holds pure. An inversion, if you will. Conceptually, it is very well held together, with every piece holding a place in the overall idea. There is little or no interchangeability; something that plagues bad ambient.

It's basically Black Metal spiritually, done through bleak, ritual ambient... from a the viewpoint of the Chinese, rather than Northern Europe. The screams often sound like the vocalist is trying to escape from his body. Perhaps there is no better metaphor for a lost soul, in this decaying age. It feels like you're progressively journeying (or being sucked into) the deepest, darkest cavern imaginable, surrounding by an air of damp air... and the overwhelming stench of death and decay nearby. If only you could see what was causing it.

A shame that I've never seen this mentioned outside of fairly astute group of people that I once associated with.

Sorry for my grammar / sentence structure, I'm fairly tired tonight after a long day at work.

November 09, 2010, 09:06:18 PM
I heartily recommend Atomine Elektrine - Archimetrical Universe

MLK

November 15, 2010, 05:12:42 PM
Most ambient is a sham; indeterminate noises and drones with little or no musical content or nice but repetitive phrases that go nowhere and use the pretence of ambience as excuse for not knowing how to develop things.

There are exceptions:

Biosphere - Substrata : Works like Forest Poetry by Ildjarn, in that even though individual tracks are mini-statements they add up to a bigger journey as an album.

Tangerine Dream - Phaedra : Avoids ambient's tendency to go nowhere by working in a prog rock sense of change to floaty, atmospheric pieces. If you like it see Fenriz's tribute to TG, Neptune Towers, as well.

Lord Wind - Atlantean Monument : Has some really nice ideas and tries to take them somewhere by having section changes in the pieces; but it doesnt always develop enough and so struggles to avoid being background music at times. Above all, it just feels like it would've been better as a set of completely developed classical pieces - which highlights the problem with ambient - that its really just a bit lazy.

I've written ambient music a few times, with some success, in the end having the idea to keep surface aesthetic mostly constant and making the melodic/harmonic side structured and journey-like. It was an interesting attempt, but ultimately ambient feels like a dead-end up until the point where you fully cross over into classical and take proper command of all the components that make a piece.

November 18, 2010, 05:08:08 AM
Endvra - Treads the line between several probably imaginary genres, but I would probably describe it as somewhere between flowery Dead Can Dance melodies as seen through a Lovecraftian vision and harsh, spooky, ritualistic noises. Some of their works can feel a bit incongruous, but overall I've found it to be strong and moving music. Their albums that I can vouch for the quality of include Elder Signs (a compilation of quite a bit of their early stuff), Great God Pan (probably their best and most consistent work, very ritualistic, organic, and barbaric. Reminds me of To Mega Therion in a way), and Black Eden.

Tenhornedbeast - Not straying very far here, this project is the solo work of Christoper Walton, one of the 2 members of Endvra, who are no more. He plays in a drone doom style, working mostly in processed guitars, more spooky noises, and thundering bass. What separates Tenhornedbeast from the mass of amateur dark ambient projects out there is a masterful sense of dynamics.The Sacred Truth and its "companion album" My Horns Are A Flame to Draw Down The Truth are strong releases, but they're blown out of the water by the massive, brooding, and barbaric Hunts & Wars.

November 19, 2010, 02:17:37 PM
Thanks for the recommendations everyone, I will start to seriously sink my teeth into these in a couple of weeks once I'm done with exams. So far I only got to listen to Biosphere's microgravity. My first impression: it's interesting, though there's a bit too much emphasis on rhythmic play as opposed to actual melodic development... definitely intriguing enough for me give it a few more chances thought.

Be certain to listen to Substrata, no matter how you feel about any of his other works. It's amazing. And one rule of thumb: Most ambient music is meant to be listened to on headphones; Substrata is an awesome example of this.

November 19, 2010, 11:17:14 PM
I agree... 'Substrata' is an excellent piece of ambient, headphones really do help too. So does a late night listening time.

November 25, 2010, 09:54:36 AM
It was an interesting attempt, but ultimately ambient feels like a dead-end up until the point where you fully cross over into classical and take proper command of all the components that make a piece.

I think this is why ambient music went from rock-style circular repetition to the epic stuff that Tangerine Dream produced: it finally grew into freedom from the rock mental rote of constant drums and constant rhythm guitars, which pretty much demand everyone else howl or bang on something to keep from being lost (and thus, as musicians, fired for being unnecessary).

I'd like to see an ambient/EBM/electronica A/B/C list:

A:

- Tangerine Dream
- Lord Wind
- Kraftwerk
- Biosphere
- Fripp/Eno
- Beherit
- Neptune Towers

B:

- Autechre
- Aphex Twin
- Vangelis
- VNV Nation
- Jean-Michel Jarre

C:

- Fripp/Faynman
- N'Sync

November 29, 2010, 09:27:11 AM
While I generally agree, I cannot understand the inclusion of VNV Nation, who leave the taste of artificial sweetener in my mouth. There are some exceptional talents today- for instance, from Europe:

http://www.myspace.com/deutschnepal

and the USA:

http://www.myspace.com/opusfinis

December 02, 2010, 01:32:00 AM
It was an interesting attempt, but ultimately ambient feels like a dead-end up until the point where you fully cross over into classical and take proper command of all the components that make a piece.

I think this is why ambient music went from rock-style circular repetition to the epic stuff that Tangerine Dream produced: it finally grew into freedom from the rock mental rote of constant drums and constant rhythm guitars, which pretty much demand everyone else howl or bang on something to keep from being lost (and thus, as musicians, fired for being unnecessary).

I'd like to see an ambient/EBM/electronica A/B/C list:

A:

- Tangerine Dream
- Lord Wind
- Kraftwerk
- Biosphere
- Fripp/Eno
- Beherit
- Neptune Towers

B:

- Autechre
- Aphex Twin
- Vangelis
- VNV Nation
- Jean-Michel Jarre

C:

- Fripp/Faynman
- N'Sync

To add:

A:

- Steve Roach
- Maeror Tri
- Ildjarn
- Mortiis/Vond/Fata Morgana
- Incantation

B:

- David Helpling
- Robert Rich
- Solar Fields
- Nest (moreso the one reminiscent of Biosphere than the Finnish neofolk group)

C:

- Lustmord (always seemed generic to me)
- Jonn Serrie (occasionally good space music, like Tangerine Dream meets early Steve Roach, but a bit uninspired)

December 02, 2010, 06:01:43 AM
Im also looking for some very vocal heavy ambient in the vein of DCD preferably with the same ancient, ecclesiastical kind of atmosphere.

December 02, 2010, 03:25:23 PM
Im also looking for some very vocal heavy ambient in the vein of DCD preferably with the same ancient, ecclesiastical kind of atmosphere.

Try Arcana - Dark Age Of Reason. It's not as amazing as Dead Can Dance, but it is a very strong work, and might be close to the atmosphere you're looking for. There's a similar band to Arcana called Elend, but I've been pretty underwhelmed by everything I've heard by them.

The only other closest thing I'm aware of, and I don't think it will be exactly what you're looking for, is, well, Lisa Gerrard's solo work. I've heard the Mirror Pool, which I thought was decent, but I only gave it a few listens.