Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Useless metal genres

Re: Useless metal genres
June 05, 2006, 02:38:44 AM

Incorrect.  Cybergrind is the one form of grindcore that has been able to totally separate from both metal and punk to come into it's own.  With that new spirit of creativity, something great can come of it.

well if that's your opinion, suppose i could give it a try. know any good bands?

the only band i've heard which classifies as cybergrind/digicore (lololol) was an Israeli (!) band called CADAVER EYES, which was crap. they did manage to make some cool noise at occasions, but it was mostly manure-ish.

June 05, 2006, 05:14:01 AM

Naturally I want a further explanation.  The phrases 'musicially structured' and 'emotionally structured' have no actualy meaning aside from the connotations they carry.  How can music...be anything but musically structured?  You need a poetic liscence to get away with saying something like that.

Naturally their videos are going to be of the songs that have a more mainstream appeal, specificially from their latest album.  Especially that song unretrofied, which is total garbage.

Okay.  I'll try to make it brief.  Most music has specific patterns or melodies that are explored through variation.  These variations eventually bring the music to a conclusion.  However, The Dillinger Escape Plan forms their variations around emotions instead of rhythm or melody, so that the emotions are what guide the progression of the song.  Two parts may be musically unrelated, but emotionally very close.

That's all I'm saying.

June 05, 2006, 06:46:30 AM

Okay.  I'll try to make it brief.  Most music has specific patterns or melodies that are explored through variation.  These variations eventually bring the music to a conclusion.  However, The Dillinger Escape Plan forms their variations around emotions instead of rhythm or melody, so that the emotions are what guide the progression of the song.  Two parts may be musically unrelated, but emotionally very close.

That's all I'm saying.

Variations of emotions? How is this structure? It sounds more like a temper tantrum to me.

June 05, 2006, 06:54:41 AM

well if that's your opinion, suppose i could give it a try. know any good bands?

the only band i've heard which classifies as cybergrind/digicore (lololol) was an Israeli (!) band called CADAVER EYES, which was crap. they did manage to make some cool noise at occasions, but it was mostly manure-ish.

Try Gigantic Brain and Catasexual Urge Motivation.  Although the latter isn't pure cyber, the former is.

Stranger, as I said, the music is very abstractly structured.  It does just sound like a mess the first few times you hear it.  But if you go into it with that idea of cohesion in mind it starts to assemble itself.

June 05, 2006, 01:56:29 PM
Just watched The Dilliger Escape Plan videos. Pure shit. It's nu-metal and nothing else.

Your statement supports a trend I see fairly often with these online forums.

June 07, 2006, 12:17:12 AM
i never did understand what nu-metal was, is it just a term for metal that is mostly mainstream rock with touches of metal to it or is it an actually genre of metal that has certain things that all artists have in common (like the idea that death is rythmic, sorry for the spelling in that)?

June 07, 2006, 07:44:22 AM
But if you go into it with that idea of cohesion in mind it starts to assemble itself.

If you go into anything with the idea of cohesion (a sneaky way of claiming that something has structure), it's going to make sense. It sounds like you've purposely fooled yourself here.

June 08, 2006, 07:11:03 AM

If you go into anything with the idea of cohesion (a sneaky way of claiming that something has structure), it's going to make sense. It sounds like you've purposely fooled yourself here.

Not really, because the idea of emotional structuring is one I came up with.  I don't have anything to prove.  I'm simply giving you a shortcut.

June 09, 2006, 11:36:36 AM
There is good and bad in EVERY genre...and I do mean EVERY. Some are just harder to sift through the shit bands than others are but they are there.So open your fucking mind.

June 10, 2006, 09:03:18 AM

So in your opinion who are the nu-metal geniuses ?

I haven't found them yet but that doesn't mean that someone with enough knowledge of music and GOOD taste could not do something creative with the genre. Look at Head Control System, its a very poppy style, especially coming from Garm, but he has definitely turned an otherwise bland genre into something very well put together and creative. Just like a lot of pop art visual artists, they took something tasteless and trite and made something creative out of it USING that idea of pop and cheesy imagery as a tool.

June 10, 2006, 10:42:18 AM
So in your opinion who are the nu-metal geniuses ?

this album

March 10, 2011, 07:28:49 PM
The qualifiers are beyond irritating.

Symphonic wormeaten hardcore deathgrind. Progressive sacrificial satanic blackenedthrash. Give me a break.

All of these adjectives are just window dressing to keep you from noticing mediocrity while you're lured in for a regrettable listen.

Is it death metal, black metal, heavy metal or is it just another nu-metal turd? That's all we need to know.

April 10, 2011, 08:48:49 PM
for the evolution of metal in general , a lot of shitty genres will emerge, all the ones you mentioned are almost useless like you said, but grindcore to me is the worst and most degrading of all metal genres up to date- yes including glam- there is no muscial structures and i dont wanna even talk about the lyrics, it was really disapointing to see metal degrade to that genre, but it does not necessary mean metal is getting worst , it will evolve it just needs time and people who are actually willing to do something about it....