Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Modern Man: Fucking Weak

Re: Modern Man: Fucking Weak
November 17, 2010, 07:30:02 PM
More likely, the information age resulted in more prolific meme absorption and repetition. Compilation in taking things to the next level has not necessarily improved with this information age of glowing screens. People are about the same shepherds and sheep as ever.

We may have more frequent access to data, but it tends toward a disjointed surface treatment survey of various disparate, inconsequential subjects. A 19th Century field hand with a Farmer's Almanac is in possession of more useful information than some random modern lamb boasting forty Facebook friends.

November 17, 2010, 10:55:39 PM
Technology has progressed to a point where it also contributes to brain atrophy

How so?

How many people are there left who can do the simple mathematical heavy lifting for basic engineering?  Our machines are built by machines and designed by machines, humans don't - humans can't - engineer anything on their own.

November 18, 2010, 12:41:57 AM
That's a good thing, isn't it? There's a limit to what we can know. Would you suggest that a scientist has brain atrophy because he doesn't understand the plumbing in his lab, or how to craft one of his glass test-tubes?

November 18, 2010, 12:50:33 AM
People are missing the point of this.  Technology has progressed to a point where it thinks for us.  The brain, though not a muscle, will wither without appropriate use, and will grow stronger with use.

November 18, 2010, 04:30:16 AM
People are missing the point of this.  Technology has progressed to a point where it thinks for us.  The brain, though not a muscle, will wither without appropriate use, and will grow stronger with use.

Which is great news for those <120 IQs formerly headed for the ovens in that other genocide thread.

November 18, 2010, 05:44:40 AM
Good news for the enemy is bad news for us.

November 18, 2010, 09:19:03 AM
People are missing the point of this.  Technology has progressed to a point where it thinks for us.  The brain, though not a muscle, will wither without appropriate use, and will grow stronger with use.

Which is great news for those <120 IQs formerly headed for the ovens in that other genocide thread.

Certainly technology allows those in the middle IQ tiers to be far more productive than they might otherwise have been, and the interactivity of modern technology and information delivery systems has the effect of making the common man less mentally passive in some ways.  On the other hand, it isn't beneficial at all for the cognitive elite (i.e. the people who have historically produced almost all the ideas of value), because it both devalues and hinders higher level abstract thought.  It's hard for the mind to soar once it has become acclimated to the use of technological crutches.  As a result, our "cutting edge" tech firms are locked in a duel to the death to produce a sleeker plastic case.

November 18, 2010, 01:28:27 PM
So, will we be better off when the internet crashes?

I'm inclined to think there will be wasted potential in any society.  The internet allows intelligent people to become ineffectual and gives a voice to anyone with a keyboard.  It also arguably encourages intellectual laziness, but it is also an effective platform for 'high' culture; mock "armchair philosophers" as you will, but I will submit that, as a student, 24-hour access to virtually any canonical text on art or philosophy has served me very well.

Not to mention that being born in 1988 and having no friends who were into metal, I would have never delved as deeply as I have been able with the internet.

The problem is when people decide that having knowledge at their fingertips means they do not need to learn.

ADDITION:
It's hard for the mind to soar once it has become acclimated to the use of technological crutches.  As a result, our "cutting edge" tech firms are locked in a duel to the death to produce a sleeker plastic case.

Yes this is troubling.  The material consequences of our conceptual era are often overlooked; we are making a lot of trash, and it is very intelligent people who are wasting their time making it.  Plus, we are almost wholly dependent upon this trash, which is destroying our planet even if it does facilitate abstract thought which, I would argue, it does for those who are inclined toward such.