Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Long Hair in metal.

Long Hair in metal.
November 15, 2010, 07:54:27 AM
This might have been discussed here in recent years but I'd like to look at it again. What percentage of users here have long hair currently? Do you think the role of long hair is merely aesthetic or does it have a deeper meaning in metal music?

I pledge allegiance to the flag
On the United States of America
And to the republic for which is stands
One nation under God invisible
With liberty and Justice for all

I pledge of alligiance to the shit
That runs the U.S.A.

And to this public which I can't stand
Government
Inexcusable with poverty and justice
For all the short haired wimps

Re: Long Hair in metal.
November 15, 2010, 09:08:52 AM
I'm a skinhead.

November 15, 2010, 09:16:06 AM
in our Pagan cultures it was believed that long hair, or beards, would give a certain power, or status. Even more reason to grow long hair boys and girls!

The Way to Hysteria - How the Patriarchal Monotheistic Religions Demonised and Erased the Feminine Aspects

I know a member of this forum whose hair reach his knees, he's a very strong personality.

November 15, 2010, 11:14:08 AM
I've got long hair.  Currently at the small of my back, aiming to grow it down to my hips (I'll next cut it when I can sit on it).

November 15, 2010, 03:07:01 PM
I've got long hair.  Currently at the small of my back, aiming to grow it down to my hips (I'll next cut it when I can sit on it).

Save some money on toilet paper while you're at it.

I used to be a skinhead too, or at least I thought I was one. Grew my hair out to my waist, then I cut it, and now it's a little past my shoulders. But hair doesn't make the metal, man does. (Which is why hair metal blows)

November 15, 2010, 03:55:16 PM

On the nature of metal stage-performance, at
http://www.hessian.org/#btop2
The shrouded nature of the face covered by long hair (as if by a monk`s cowl)... These performers ideally embody the persona of a magus, a warrior, an Olympian God, or the divine mirrored in a raw, unrestrained and sublime force of Nature.   There is distance, a lack of humanity or furthermore a supra-humanity.

Though I can't cite this, you could connect long hair to vir.  Comparing a South Asian sadhu to the shaven-headed Buddhist monk: the former is a sublimation of sexuality, a physical expression of kundalini, while the latter signals renunciation of sexuality and social standards. 

We could connect long hair to the evolutionary advantages of religion (the outward activities of it).  I'll just pull this straight outta Wikipedia>>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_psychology_of_religion#Religion_as_an_adaptation
Costly-signaling theory suggests that such rituals might serve as public and hard-to-fake signals that an individual's commitment to the group is sincere. Since there would be a considerable benefit in trying to cheat the system - taking advantage of group living benefits without taking on any possible costs - the ritual would not be something simple that can be taken lightly.
Long hair signifies some level of commitment to Metal, The Scene, or something like that.  While certainly not a reliable filter of Good from Bad metalheads, it could keep mere weekenders at bay.  But not deeeep Hipsters!

Finally, Heavy Metal came from the ashes of 1970s hippies, so long hair may be a cultural holdover; rebellious, wild, countercultural.  I associate principled shaven-headed Hessians with late '90s NYDM, where long hair was faggy, preeny, and just not slamming enough.  Is that a true source? 

I have short hair, had long hair when I was a teen.  A long-haired grown-ass man is not conducive to success.  Either way, we should obviously be judging guys by the content of their beliefs/actions.

November 15, 2010, 06:22:43 PM
I don't really see myself ever having short hair, unless I join the army at a time when they still require you to have a short back and sides.  I'm aiming to be a teacher/self-sufficiency guy, though, so it probably doesn't matter.

Somebody made a post a while back about the standard among warrior cultures to grow/style the hair in some way so as to identify yourself as a warrior and a clansman (think Samurai top-knots as opposed to Chonin top-knots, Celtic use of lime, Spartan combs, German braids, etc).

November 15, 2010, 07:10:04 PM
I keep mine short for easy maintenance.  I have tried to grow out my hair but it just looks trashy so i get rid of it

November 15, 2010, 10:27:53 PM
I used to have hair down to my lower back, then I cut it so I wouldn't be grouped with some of the burnouts that have long hair around here. I don't care if long hair used to be warlike, now it means welfare leech.

Of course, I think I look better with short hair anyway.

November 15, 2010, 11:34:34 PM
Some great feedback here. I used to have long hair, but the payoff wasn't quite worth the investment and the protracted jewfro stage I had to endure to get it there. These Irish curls aren't conducive to the greatest hair banging experience. That said, especially when it comes to earlier DM and metal in general, I tend to judge bands by the hair subconsciously. The recent spate of Death Metal is the only genre I've ever been concerned with that maintains a high quality level without having the vast majority of members with long hair.

I felt, for what ever reason, as if I was betraying something when I cut my hair. And it's something I'll always miss when a riff catches me and I find the urge to head bang welling up. If I didn't have a family to support and a "normal life" to maintain I'd grow it back for sure. Since I've chosen to participate in society, I have to play by their rules. Maybe that is why cutting it felt so disingenuous to me.

November 16, 2010, 12:56:35 AM
Somebody made a post a while back about the standard among warrior cultures to grow/style the hair in some way so as to identify yourself as a warrior and a clansman (think Samurai top-knots as opposed to Chonin top-knots, Celtic use of lime, Spartan combs, German braids, etc).

Cargest, what more do you know about these customs?  What do you mean when you say "Celtic use of lime?"  The Samurai top-knots and Viking braids are familiar to me, but where are you going with the Spartans?

November 16, 2010, 03:45:04 AM
Long hair in metal represents patience and an introverted perspective. Even the way metalheads mosh is so delicate, punk is more forthright, more 'real' but lacks depth. Mohawks and EBM style haircut is ok but appeals to antisocial/borderline types as does piercings/tattoos imo.

November 16, 2010, 03:58:25 AM
unfortunatly i suite neither long hair or skin, so i rock a comb over

November 16, 2010, 07:22:41 AM
I used to have long hair but went skinhead/buzzed because I'm receding (and only 22, alas). Retrospectives:

Long hair carries a negative connotation when socializing with people outside of the hessian demographic, it's a first impression thing, people will treat you slightly more favorably if they think they can relate to you. A functional person won't be socially inconvenienced by his hair but for the lonely teens amongst us (presumably many forum goers were depressed shut ins at some point in their development) cutting your hair will make you much more approachable to women. Which is an infinitely more rewarding pursuit than splitting an ounce with yourself and headbanging to suffocation alone in your room.

Hair maintenance is an enormous pain in the ass. Hours of post shower drying when your hurrying to be somewhere, attempting to brush exercise induced fuck enormous knots out and scalping yourself, trailing wisps of dandruff everywhere when you change shampoo, having your 'tail make it's way into something your eating or drinking, blerghhhh massive pain in the ass.

It's entirely impractical in physical activity, gets in the way and is intolerably hot. I live in the tropics (Northern Australia) and by jove getting around with a mass of thermal insulation wrapped around the hottest part of your body when the humidity is high enough for ice cubes to float in the air is a death sentence. Oh and fighting with an Achilles heel hanging from your head is, pause for effect, disadvantageous.

For those about to cut (Antaeus' salute you), know that every time you hear a "raise your sword" song you're going to despair. The desire to head bang never abates, never leaves you. Hell sometimes I can still 'feel' my hair swishing along my back, or I'll wake up gasping in a sweat with my hairbrush inexplicably ready in my hand. Much as I hated it, it was precious to me and I loved it beyond any inconvenience. I doubt the wound of it's absence will ever fully heal, but for now my severed pony tail hangs from the stairwell light fixture. A ratlike epitaph of my glorious vertebrae destroying heritage, alas. (You don't throw away something like that, I've been thinking of putting it in a nice frame and putting it up for bid on ebay, shits n giggles y'know.)

Otherwise having long hair is about looking metal, a social fabrication. Problem is long hair identifies you as a metal head, not a hessian. Admittedly I feel pangs of inadequacy and the urge to verbalize my dedication to the cause when dealing with other long hairs, but really it's puerile dick waving bullshit (and a waste of time around here, they're all morons). It's not about being metal, it's having an image. Being 'metal' is an internal thing, naturally the external reflects the internal but it is only a reflection, a shadow.

November 16, 2010, 08:28:44 AM
Cargest, what more do you know about these customs?  What do you mean when you say "Celtic use of lime?"  The Samurai top-knots and Viking braids are familiar to me, but where are you going with the Spartans?

The Celts (or, at the very least, the Gallic Celts) used Lime to effectively gel their hair into spikes, according to contemporary Roman testimonials.  The Spartans would, while the enemy drew up their forces, take great care over their appearence, combing and brushing their hair in preparation for the battle to come.  Long hair was a sign of freedom and maturity in Sparta, as boys had their heads shaved when they went to school at the age of 7.  I distinctly remember various Persian accounts of Thermopylae effectively complaining that the Spartans seemed not to care in the slightest that they were about to fight a battle, and that they would simply sit around and joke with each other while making sure that they looked good.