Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Long Hair in metal.

Re: Long Hair in metal.
December 06, 2010, 06:49:25 AM
I would never hire someone with long hair, what with the overwhelming probability of

This is why real bosses conduct what are known as "interviews" with potential employees.  There's an overwhelming probability that the person applying for the job is an absolute idiot, even if they are wearing a Hugo Boss suit (like mine).  Any employer worth working for will be intelligent enough to be able to look past the exterior and focus on the actual qualities and failings of the applicant.

Then again, there's an overwhelming probability that the person to whom you're applying for a job is an absolute idiot.

December 08, 2010, 03:23:48 PM
I would never hire someone with long hair, what with the overwhelming probability of

This is why real bosses conduct what are known as "interviews" with potential employees.  There's an overwhelming probability that the person applying for the job is an absolute idiot, even if they are wearing a Hugo Boss suit (like mine).  Any employer worth working for will be intelligent enough to be able to look past the exterior and focus on the actual qualities and failings of the applicant.

Then again, there's an overwhelming probability that the person to whom you're applying for a job is an absolute idiot.

Heh, that's certainly true. Employers have been known to dismiss someone based purely on their appearance. Though, I've had an experience where my personal appeareance (beard: not exactly conventional, especially for a interview where "first impressions" count) did not affect the interviewer's perception of me, which fits in with what you're saying.

Also: short hair on metal musicians seems strange due to the traditional association of long hair with anti-mainstream culture. Plus it creates a better effect when headbanging, I suppose. Other than that, I don't think it's all that relevant actually. You could make an argument that it's a more "natural" hairstyle (you're allowing the hair its "natural growth" after all) than shorter hairstyles, but you're not going to get it (for, or against: it just seems stupid either way) from me.

December 08, 2010, 10:38:20 PM
In the end, it becomes something like "why do Japanese people wear kimono?" - it's a cultural thing, based partially on a more fundamental meaning and partially on a simple perceived aesthetic superiority to other styles.

December 09, 2010, 07:49:19 AM
I am male and have long hair down to my ass, or close to. Hairstyle aesthetically suits both sexes the same: some suit short hair, some suit long hair, and some suit in-between, and of course: it all comes down to social/cultural programming.

Also, on woman and 'long hair': Women look for confidence. If long-hair seems to bring you down, expect them to say, "I wish you had short hair". If your hair empowers you, expect them to say, "I love your long hair, why don't more men have long hair?"

December 09, 2010, 08:43:44 AM
If your hair empowers you, expect them to say, "I love your long hair, why don't more men have long hair?"

I get this from guys as well as girls.  Straight guys, mind you.  It's generally pretty funny, especially because they generally have absolutely no idea about Metal at all.

December 09, 2010, 10:05:30 AM
The one thing about long hair I believe everyone can agree on: it gets fucking EVERYWHERE.

I enjoy my long hair as much as the next guy, but man is it a pain in the ass to brush; I feel like I'm shedding half the time.

December 12, 2010, 05:47:04 PM
The one thing about long hair I believe everyone can agree on: it gets fucking EVERYWHERE.

I enjoy my long hair as much as the next guy, but man is it a pain in the ass to brush; I feel like I'm shedding half the time.

I have to give a lot of credit to the metal bands (Enslaved, Emperor for example) that used to don armor and play live. I have a certain antiquarian interest in these things, and so it happens that I own a number of mail shirts and helms. I cannot stress enough how irksome those two specific items are when you have long hair. The SCA suggests that you wear a hair cap to avoid tangling, hair pulling, etc... but that's a modern association that doesn't account for how men would rough-it through those things way back when.

December 12, 2010, 06:08:21 PM
Do you think the role of long hair is merely aesthetic or does it have a deeper meaning in metal music?

It means UNTAMED.

However, symbols are cheap in this time.

The main point of metal is not to dress inauthentically.

If you are a fucking nerd, wear the glasses and polo shirt with cargo shorts and dockers. By all means. That's who you are; don't hide it. Nothing wrong with it.

If you are a raging longhair, wear the hair and the tshirt. The rest is kind of optional. I always paired khakis and Doc Martens or penny loafers with the metal tshirt, and never had patience for the fuck-all bullet belts and high maintenance jewelry and crap. That's who I am.

The only thing one cannot be is a shallow fucking hipster who possesses no soul and to compensate, tricks themselves out with clothing and irony. These people need a bath of bullets and nothing else.

Some of the most metal people I know are nerds, bald (happens as early as 17), a little overweight, dropped out of school/or went to a hardcore college, barely speak English and live in English-speaking countries, etc. It's the quality of the brain and the personality that matters.

And what do hipsters lack? Indeed. Rape riot on hipster rectum.

December 16, 2010, 06:53:38 AM
Do you think the role of long hair is merely aesthetic or does it have a deeper meaning in metal music?

It means UNTAMED.

However, symbols are cheap in this time.

The main point of metal is not to dress inauthentically.

If you are a fucking nerd, wear the glasses and polo shirt with cargo shorts and dockers. By all means. That's who you are; don't hide it. Nothing wrong with it.

If you are a raging longhair, wear the hair and the tshirt. The rest is kind of optional. I always paired khakis and Doc Martens or penny loafers with the metal tshirt, and never had patience for the fuck-all bullet belts and high maintenance jewelry and crap. That's who I am.

The only thing one cannot be is a shallow fucking hipster who possesses no soul and to compensate, tricks themselves out with clothing and irony. These people need a bath of bullets and nothing else.

Some of the most metal people I know are nerds, bald (happens as early as 17), a little overweight, dropped out of school/or went to a hardcore college, barely speak English and live in English-speaking countries, etc. It's the quality of the brain and the personality that matters.

And what do hipsters lack? Indeed. Rape riot on hipster rectum.

Well put. Wear whatever suits you, but as you, be authentic and deep like a cleft, the inverse of the hipster: a fleeting tide.

December 19, 2010, 11:06:06 PM
if you're a diehard then go for it, just don't expect anyone to like you for it, especially the opposite sex. rofl

if you think you look like a brainless kid (you do) and/or if you are heterosexual male over the age of 23 you might consider some level of grooming depending on your aspirations.

attitude optional.

December 20, 2010, 12:40:28 AM
I keep my hair short, but I know plenty of people with long hair who get better looking ladies than you'll probably ever get. I get your point though, you wanna sound like you know what's up by using an aggressive tone. Looks like we've got a streetwise professor on our hands guys, he tells it like it is and that means he's always right.

December 20, 2010, 01:26:52 AM
if you're a diehard then go for it, just don't expect anyone to like you for it, especially the opposite sex. rofl

if you think you look like a brainless kid (you do) and/or if you are heterosexual male over the age of 23 you might consider some level of grooming depending on your aspirations.

attitude optional.

Why does this remind me so much of "Hey Faggots, my name is John, and I hate every single one of you"?

December 20, 2010, 10:09:15 AM
Hi guys I'm an intelligent male that wants to change the world and get rid of decadence and stupidity. I also have long hair because that way more girls like me! I mean, who cares about personality, right? Certainly the girls don't since 70% of all metalgirls are sluts and the other 30% is just too ugly to be a slut. And after all if a girl likes you better because you have long hair... that must be the greatest compliment to any guy!

Could someone please make some videos about how hessian men should treat their hair and post them on youtube? Any other tips on how to score hot bitches would be appreciated. Keep up the fight for a better, cleaner and more intelligent world! Btw what kind of shampoo do you guys use?

December 20, 2010, 11:50:41 AM
Hi guys I'm an intelligent male that wants to change the world and get rid of decadence and stupidity. I also have long hair because that way more girls like me! I mean, who cares about personality, right? Certainly the girls don't since 70% of all metalgirls are sluts and the other 30% is just too ugly to be a slut. And after all if a girl likes you better because you have long hair... that must be the greatest compliment to any guy!

Could someone please make some videos about how hessian men should treat their hair and post them on youtube? Any other tips on how to score hot bitches would be appreciated. Keep up the fight for a better, cleaner and more intelligent world! Btw what kind of shampoo do you guys use?

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. I use pantene pro-v.

December 20, 2010, 02:00:48 PM

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. I use pantene pro-v.

That's priceless.

But I used Pro-v also.