Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

What metal makes you "raise your sword"?

What metal makes you "raise your sword"?
November 16, 2010, 04:08:47 AM
I was listening to Show No Mercy today and i realised this is probably the most uplifting morale improving album i think i may have ever heard.  Opinions obviously will vary which is why i started the thread to ask each and every one which album they put on that gets them off their ass, out the door, ready to kick some ass again? I was thinking of purchasing a sword for not only a weapon, but for symbolic value so whenever i am down, and need something to get me on my feet again, i will RAISE MY SWORD!

Re: What metal makes you "raise your sword"?
November 16, 2010, 04:59:24 AM
Just the album that first popped into my mind! Hail!

November 16, 2010, 08:31:24 AM
The crescendo of Inno A Satana, Blood Fire Death (both the album and the song), Jesus' Tod, and DragonForce.

November 16, 2010, 10:17:47 AM
The heroes of the night are calling;
I see that the promised land is falling,
Reach for the powers that are deep inside!

November 16, 2010, 10:50:12 AM
Just the album that first popped into my mind! Hail!

Likewise...must be the imagery from the Album cover!!

November 16, 2010, 11:11:56 AM
Actually the highly underrated Graveland album of the same name has this effect on me! And I'll have to second the mentions of Inno A Satana and Blood Fire Death. Slottet I Det Fjerne and Manneskyggen's Slave have a similar impact.

November 16, 2010, 11:29:01 AM
The heroes of the night are calling;
I see that the promised land is falling,
Reach for the powers that are deep inside!

More like

Once in a lifetime take a chance at the right time the glory to see
Rise up for the time of your life
Now the time has come for you to be free

amirite?

Actually, when I said DragonForce, I was thinking of "Disciples of Babylon", from 5:30.  That bit of guitar work is the single most uplifting thing that has ever occurred in the entire history of mankind.

November 16, 2010, 04:11:40 PM
Morbid Angel's first album always wakes me up and makes me want to raise hell, Immolation's Close to a World Below has the same effect, I've never sat still while listening to Reign in Blood, etc...

The crescendo of Inno A Satana
Definitely a killer song, killer part! In the Nightside Eclipse was, for me, the perfect mix of vicious fucking evil and celestial beauty, just as black metal should be. You have great taste in---

and DragonForce
YO WHAT

November 16, 2010, 04:57:23 PM
RAINBOW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9nfVrusSMg (I think we all know where the album art of FAFTS came from...)

Or anything with Dio, really.

November 16, 2010, 07:06:47 PM
Graveland is the epitome of raise your sword.  I chose Show No Mercy, not just because of lyrical content, but because it has such uplifting riffs. No coward could listen to Show No Mercy, and Blood Fire Death and truely feel the power these albums have to offer.

Another few albums that Raise My Sword:

Bestial Warlust  - Blood and Valor
Blasphemy - Gods of War
Bathory - Under the sign of the black mark

November 16, 2010, 10:37:11 PM
and DragonForce
YO WHAT

It's powerful, expressive, and uplifting music.  So what if it's all the same song done again and again?  It's a fucking good song.

Give the first album a go.  You'll probably be disappointed, if you come at it from an Extreme Metal perspective, but it's arguably better than anything else among the more "pop"-oriented forms of Metal (I'd say DragonForce's first album is better than the entirety of Maiden's post-'80s discography).

November 16, 2010, 11:24:42 PM
Graveland's last three are it for barbarian bloodlust warmetal. Bolt Thrower Warmaster, IV Crusade, For Victory are in there for those melancholic blue days when no less than merciless conquest will do to set things right again.

November 17, 2010, 12:02:49 AM
and DragonForce
YO WHAT

It's powerful, expressive, and uplifting music.  So what if it's all the same song done again and again?  It's a fucking good song.

Give the first album a go.  You'll probably be disappointed, if you come at it from an Extreme Metal perspective, but it's arguably better than anything else among the more "pop"-oriented forms of Metal (I'd say DragonForce's first album is better than the entirety of Maiden's post-'80s discography).
I thought you were joking when you said Dragonforce.  Jesus christ, you might've just as well said you "raise your sword" to Cradle of Filth.

November 17, 2010, 06:27:49 AM
Night of the Stormrider, Falconer, I'll raise my sword to those...but Draginforce?

November 17, 2010, 10:40:43 AM
I listen to Cradle of Filth from time to time.  Picked up their first album again a while back, and it's not as dire as people make it out to be (though still nowhere near as good as their second album, the only one which is really any good).  It's become such a ridiculous trend to dislike Cradle of Filth (and DragonForce, for that matter) because their later works are crowd-pleasing, reiterative pieces of crap.

I didn't mention Cradle of Filth because they're quite obviously not "sword-raising" music, whereas DragonForce is definitely incitement to battle in sonic form.

Also, aren't Falconer a bit too slow/boring to raise your sword to?