Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

What metal makes you "raise your sword"?

Re: What metal makes you "raise your sword"?
November 17, 2010, 11:28:45 AM
CELTIC FROST because their early works are so powerful and contain a microcosm of ideas that would reconnect future bands with something ancient.

November 17, 2010, 09:20:17 PM
Non - serious - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpELn4zPEao  (couldn't resist)

Serious - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8HqQIWJn9E

and - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMnQCP34RlM

and - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofhjmIKJZnA

There are so many albums to which I could lay this description upon. I do like very much how the OP chose "Show No Mercy", it's an album I've really been getting into again lately. Play it loud!
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

November 17, 2010, 09:46:51 PM
Non - serious - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpELn4zPEao  (couldn't resist)

I'm drunk enough to enjoy this.  Seriously.

November 17, 2010, 11:16:44 PM
Well,

Dismember - Override of the Overture 
Gorgoroth - Bergtrollets Hevn
Amorphis - Sign of the Northern Side
At The Gates - The Red in the Sky Is Ours
Helstar - Baptized in Blood

These five instantly come to mind.

Show No Mercy really is one of the most uplifting and furious albums ever spawned, with the punky D.R.I.-isms tearing down any pessimistic thoughts. Raise the sword!
"The traveler with empty pockets will sing in the thief 's face." - Juvenal

"We cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses." - Carl Jung

"Time spent with cats is never wasted." - Sigmund Freud

Those who fancy themselves cultured are committing an ironic manslaughter.

November 17, 2010, 11:36:38 PM
I listen to Cradle of Filth from time to time.  Picked up their first album again a while back, and it's not as dire as people make it out to be (though still nowhere near as good as their second album, the only one which is really any good).  It's become such a ridiculous trend to dislike Cradle of Filth (and DragonForce, for that matter) because their later works are crowd-pleasing, reiterative pieces of crap.

I didn't mention Cradle of Filth because they're quite obviously not "sword-raising" music, whereas DragonForce is definitely incitement to battle in sonic form.
The metal hall sure has gotten soft if a member can get over 900 posts with tastes like this.

November 18, 2010, 12:01:17 AM
The metal hall sure has "gotten" retarded if people can't think for themselves any more.  The average "extreme metalhead" hasn't listened to any Cradle of Filth or Dimmu Borgir, or any entry-level music, at all, for a long while, since it is, by popular decree, fake, or something like that.  I have no problem with saying that there are musically fantastic moments in the best moments of Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir, even if the majority of their output is absolute trash.  I dare any member of this forum to listen to Dusk and Her Embrace, ignore the annoying vocals/keyboards, and tell me that there is no compositional skill (and that worthy of merit) in the album.

Edit: even a retard can stumble upon gold.

November 18, 2010, 02:56:50 AM
Give the first album a go.  You'll probably be disappointed, if you come at it from an Extreme Metal perspective, but it's arguably better than anything else among the more "pop"-oriented forms of Metal (I'd say DragonForce's first album is better than the entirety of Maiden's post-'80s discography).
Considering how ass Iron Maiden was/is in their later years,  I would say that's not a huge accomplishment, but listening to "Valley of the Damned" on youtube I think I'd still take latter day Maiden. Super-saccharine uplifting guitar riff from a punk-pop song to start shit off, cheesy break with cheesy theatric vocals, get shit rolling with high-speed super-saccharine uplifting riffs, and then a chorus that sounds like a sped-up lullaby. Some guitar wankery that would've been better with less repetition and heavier production, keyboard wankery that would've been better if left out, and then we break into the lullaby chorus in its full-on glory. Ugh. Inhuman Rampage was the only other album of theirs I had the pleasure of listening to, but this isn't much different. It's slower, and less mechanical sounding. Both of which are plusses. I guess.

I actually really, really liked Dusk and Her Embrace when I started listening to black metal. I still put it on once a year or so and listen to a few songs, but I can't really get it into it for much of the same reasons that Dragonforce irks me -- super-saccharine melodies, lack of subtlety, excessively trying to stir the emotions. But I have nostalgic reasons for liking CoF, and once in a while they write good old-fashioned heavy metal that you can bang your fuckin head to. Dragonforce couldn't write a decent heavy metal song if their life depended on it.

November 18, 2010, 03:32:37 AM
i have no shame, i liked Cradle of Filth. i still give Dusk and Her Embrace, and also Vempire/The Principle Of Evil Made Flesha listcen from time to time.

honestly though has it come to it that each time a thread is started and someone gives their own honest opinion people derail the thread because of it??
I RAISE MY SWORD TO YOUR THROATS, COWARDS!!!!

Back to the topic at hand...At The Gates is a good example in my opinion it definently has the fury to swing a sword to. Is it really uplifting though? would it draw you to the sword to pick it up in the first place?  The thing with show no mercy is it gets you so pumped about metal, its such a proud album, every metal head needs a patch of it on their jacket or someting.
He who fears the dark, shall never see the light
http://www.last.fm/user/Beastofsodom

November 18, 2010, 08:48:09 AM
honestly though has it come to it that each time a thread is started and someone gives their own honest opinion people derail the thread because of it??

Even the ANUSites fear challenges to their prescribed worldview(s).

Is it really uplifting though?

I think a lot of Death/Black Metal isn't fit for "raising your sword".  Death Metal seems more fit for "slaughtering your enemies", after your sword's been raised; Black Metal seems more fit for "contemplating the battle past", after victory.  Speed Metal has something of a pre-emptive energy to it which I find most Death/Black Metal to lack, to good effect.

November 18, 2010, 11:35:31 AM
Emperor - Inno a Satana
Impaled Nazarene - The Horny and the Horned
Graveland - all the songs that have "sword" "blood" or "war" in the title

I thought Slayer - Show No Mercy was also a good recommendation for raising swords. Bolt Thrower, early Incantation, later Deeds Of Flesh, Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness, Deicide - Legion and Massacra would all work too for me. And since Dragonforce and CoF have been named I have no problem with adding Exodus - Bonded By Blood even though that album gets cheesy after repeated listening. And can't ignore Kreator - Pleasure To Kill and Slayer - Hell Awaits.

November 18, 2010, 11:45:46 AM
With regard to the At The Gates, I was thinking that the introductory song with the sudden violent burst feels like a call to arms, the "slaughtering my enemies" occurring a little bit after.

I misunderstood the OP though, Helstar would be the most fitting on my list.

Heydrich, Now that you mention Stormgods Unbound, I also realize that Order From Chaos made some particularly sword-raising music as well.
"The traveler with empty pockets will sing in the thief 's face." - Juvenal

"We cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses." - Carl Jung

"Time spent with cats is never wasted." - Sigmund Freud

Those who fancy themselves cultured are committing an ironic manslaughter.

November 19, 2010, 07:55:32 AM
Heydrich, Now that you mention Stormgods Unbound, I also realize that Order From Chaos made some particularly sword-raising music as well.

Indeed.

November 19, 2010, 05:02:35 PM
i have no shame, i liked Cradle of Filth. i still give Dusk and Her Embrace, and also Vempire/The Principle Of Evil Made Flesha listcen from time to time.

I RAISE MY SWORD TO YOUR THROATS, COWARDS!!!!

Back to the topic at hand...At The Gates is a good example in my opinion it definently has the fury to swing a sword to. Is it really uplifting though? would it draw you to the sword to pick it up in the first place?  The thing with show no mercy is it gets you so pumped about metal, its such a proud album, every metal head needs a patch of it on their jacket or someting.

No, it's just come to people who really, really, really want a reason to hate this forum to try to find any "evidence" they can that the average forum poster is a psuedo-elitist shut-in, and some of the less than imaginative posters to validate their efforts by overcompensating in their retorts. I, for one, really don't care how much an internet intellectual thinks he's challenging my worldview, or my taste in music, because it's not that important.
Classicism in art, royalism in politics, Catholicism in religion

November 19, 2010, 09:03:09 PM
It's not important to fight for great art and ideas?  I thought that was what anus was all about.