Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The spirit of black metal

The spirit of black metal
November 20, 2010, 06:27:35 AM
ANUS says it is Romanticism: a longing for joy through transcendence, an amoralism in favor of reverence of nature.

The heavens are lit by the stars
where years of secrets of universal forces lay hid.
They shine so bright, but yet
they have seen more evil than time itself.
Reflected in the deepless lakes
(they are drowning in black elements).

They are the planetary keys to unlimited wisdom
and power for the Emperor to obtain.
(They) being the gods of the wolves
whom upon they bark at night,

requesting their next victim in thirst of blood.
I enjoy those moments I may haunt with these beasts of the night.

What kinds of beings are existing at the deeps of my lakes?
They surely must be of an evil race,
for no friendly thing can live
in such depressive waters.

(Here is also a planet similar to the Moon, but its phases is only one
and it is in its most powerful for all and ever...
There passes no light without the barking of the wolves.)

All these landscapes are timeless,
and this is all just a part of cosmos,
(but) all is mine and past and future is yet to discover...
Much have been discovered, but tomorrow
I will realise I existed before myself.

I will be reborn
before I die.

I will realise planets ages old,
created by a ruler with a crown of dragon claws,
arrived with a stargate...
a king among the wolves in the night...
An observer of the stars.

I will realise planets ages old,
created by a ruler with a crown of dragon claws,
arrived with a stargate...
a king among the wolves in the night...

+++

Mightiest am I,
but I am not alone in this cosmos of mine.
For the black hills consists of black souls,
souls that already dies one thousand deaths.
Behind the stone walls (of centuries) they breed their black art.
Boiling their spells in cauldrons of black gold.

Far up in the mountains,
where the rain fall not far,
yet the Sun cannot reach.
The wizards, my servants,

summon the souls of macrocosm.
No age will escape my wrath.
I travel through time and I return to the future.
I gather wisdom now lost.
I visit again the eternally ancient caves,
before a mighty Emperor thereupon came.
Watching the mortals "discovering" my chronicles, guarded
by the old demons, even unknown to me.

Once destroyed their souls are being summoned
to my timeless prison of hate.
It is delightful to feast upon the screaming souls
that were destroyed in my future.

How many wizards that serve me with evil, I know not.
My empires has no limits.

From the never ending mountains black, to the bottomless lakes.
I am the ruler and has been for eternities long.
I am them.

(I am them.)
(I am them.)

From the never ending mountains black, to the bottomless lakes.
I am the ruler and has been for eternities long.
My wizards are many, but their essence is mine.
Forever they are in the hills in their stone homes of grief.
Because I am the spirit of their existence.
I am them.

I am them.
I am them.

+++

Like the tide, shadows flow towards the shore of light.
The night comes whirling like a maelstrom.
Warring waves of crackling clouds embrace this nightside landscape.
The heavens bleed, through open wounds, the dim light of the Moon.
The winds are crying mournfully and tears fly with the gusts.
They whip my clenched faces freezing skin with ice-cold burning cuts.

Too long I have suffered the desert sands of time.
But as I drown in darkness it will release the sign.
My soul will leave this mortal coil of flesh and earthly life,
to fly into the mist of night, into the nightside eclipse,
and experience existence on the other side.

As a stone of scorching enthusiasm
I refract the reflecting surface of this unfathomable sea.
Growing circles of grief and pain slides across the land
as an omen of the horror yet to come.

The strength of a thousand fire-breathing demons
breed in my infernal, sinking soul.
And as I reach the surface once again
these powers are under my control.
Now I am one with the night sky majesty.

Compares favorably to Blake

Sir Roger Penrose, one of the most renowned physicists of the last fifty years, takes issue with this view. He points out that the universe was apparently born in a very low state of entropy, meaning a very high degree of order initially existed, and this is what made the complex matter we see all around us (and are composed of) possible in the first place. His objection is that the Big Bang model can't explain why such a low entropy state existed, and he believes he has a solution - that the universe is just one of many in a cyclical chain, with each Big Bang starting up a new universe in place of the one before.

How does this help? Well, Penrose posits the end of each universe will involve a return to low entropy. This is because black holes suck in all the matter, energy, and information they encounter, which works to remove entropy from our universe. (Where that entropy might go is another question entirely.) The universe's continued expansion into eventual nothingness causes the black holes themselves to evaporate, which ultimately leaves the universe in a highly ordered state once again, ready to contract into another singularity and set off the next Big Bang.

As alternative theories go, it's not without its merits, but there's no evidence to support it...until now. He says he's found evidence for his ideas in the cosmic microwave background, the microwave radiation that permeates the universe and was thought to have formed 300,000 years after the Big Bang, providing a record of the universe at that far distant time. Penrose and his colleague Vahe Gurzadyan have discovered clear concentric circles within the data, which suggests regions of the radiation have much smaller temperature ranges than elsewhere.

http://io9.com/5694701/does-cosmic-background-radiation-reveal-the-universe-before-the-big-bang

A world within a world; spirit (and possibly Information) being more important than matter

But no dualistic Jewish-Christslave God in another world...

Only an evil insurgent order within.

Re: The spirit of black metal
November 20, 2010, 10:53:56 AM
Emperor are perhaps THE Romantic black metal band. Honestly, the power of both their lyrical and structural poetry always manages to astound me, partially due to the fact that their later material is even more vapid than some of Immortal's less than desirable releases.

November 20, 2010, 11:27:00 AM
Only an evil insurgent order within.

Hmm...how is that insurgent order evil?

November 20, 2010, 12:51:00 PM
I think back then their lyrics, for a few of their songs at least, were written by Mortiis.  He actually published a book later called "Secrets of my Kingdom" which is filled with a lot of this sort of romantic fantasy writing.  I'd argue that Mortiis's influence at the time is what made Emperor so majestic and fantastic, because it seems like not long after he left, and when the band started composing songs without him is when it started losing its power.  Here is a reworked version of those lyrics which are in the book.

I am the black Wizards

Mightiest and most powerful am I.
Still I am not alone in this cosmos.
   For every where, in every ageing corner of this reality, there are lost souls.
   So it does also in the mountains by the castle of bones... Roaming spirits, ever lurking, ever brooding on some devious plan, with no good intent, no doubt.
At the very bottom of the tower, some of them will boil and brew spells of evil and spells of destruction... Over cauldrons of scorched black metal, perchance?
   These have come to be named the black wizards.  A simple name, though fit to their purpose: To make spells always, and guard the crystal prison, the prison that blackens the fate of him condemned into it...
   My will is the black wizards' will also.  All I create has my will in it.
   For that reason I have laid upon them the task to guard the crystal prison.
   They made the spell of summoning, that is, it steals the spirit of the cursed one (someone opposing me) and locks it inside the crystal prison.  In bottomless dread and darkness.
   Far up into the mountains, where the rain need not fall far, yet the rays of the sun cannot reach, my black wizards summon by force, the souls of the macrocosm.  No age shall escape my wrath, the wrath of the true tyrant.
My wizards are many, but their essence is me, I am the black wizards.

Stars - Cosmic keys to my creations and Times

The heavens are lit by the stars where secrets of years uncounted lay hidden (but not impossible to bring forth unless one is the creator and mind behind them, and that is only one).
   They shine bright, to the eye that looks upon them and knows nothing... But I see chambers holding secrets, secrets I can learn by will, but I must be patient.
I can communicate with the stars, as others gaze upon them in ignorant delight.
They are the planetary keys to great wisdom and unlimited power.
   The stars (as is the moon, they say) are also the lords of the wolves, whom howl to them  a request for the next victim, their prey unfortunate... Perchance a little child lost in the wild... Driven into the snow and the cold by its folk, in some attempt to please their primitive gods?
   We have a planet here, the greatest visible one in our sphere, and its phases is one: a full waxed moon (much like the one in the old world)...
   I see it clearly now... Red as blood... Its history is not clear to me... I can sense a vast amount of grief and burning pain, almost as if I am burning myself...
   All these landscapes in my world are timeless, and the use of any time telling device is punished with the loss of one's mind and sanity.
   I reign above what I create, for that is written and shall be adopted as the fundamental rule everywhere.
And so another brief encounter with the observer of the stars is coming to an end...

This is really interesting, because as I'm sure you know, Mortiis immediately began making "Dark Dungeon" music after he was kicked out of Emperor.  It was entirely different from black metal musically, and yet, I personally believe, it contains the "black metal spirit" (at least the romantic kind that we're talking about here) more-so than most of the black metal in the DLA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYyJRiGnTi8

November 24, 2010, 04:19:48 PM
I don't understand the obsession with evil in black metal, if it was amoral wouldn't conceptions of good/evil be thrown out the window completely in favour of total perspective from the natural/ancient world?

November 25, 2010, 07:54:53 AM
I guess some of them were really evil, like Ildjarn.

November 26, 2010, 12:31:21 AM
I don't understand the obsession with evil in black metal, if it was amoral wouldn't conceptions of good/evil be thrown out the window completely in favour of total perspective from the natural/ancient world?

Sure, but this is the same story as to why Satanism is a favoured topic, even though many do not actually believe in a personified devil: it clearly positions them as anti-christian. Similarly, declaring yourself evil is setting yourself in direct opposition to those who adhere to the good / evil duality (and believe one should be on the 'good' side of the fence), in a manner that leaves no room for any other interpretation.

November 26, 2010, 10:04:35 AM
Perhaps, because the majority commit what we might call "evil" acts (polution, retardation, miscegenation, etc.), and yet call themselves "good", we, being the opposite of them, are "evil".  Still doesn't hold much water.

November 27, 2010, 01:40:51 AM
Sure, but this is the same story as to why Satanism is a favoured topic, even though many do not actually believe in a personified devil: it clearly positions them as anti-christian. Similarly, declaring yourself evil is setting yourself in direct opposition to those who adhere to the good / evil duality (and believe one should be on the 'good' side of the fence), in a manner that leaves no room for any other interpretation.

I don't think Christians are much concerned with the act and whether it is good or evil, it's the acceptance of Christ and his forgiveness. If you do things because they are evil you're thinking like a Christian.

November 27, 2010, 02:08:29 AM
I've never understood the apparent ability of a sinner to repent and thus be absolved of all wrongdoing.  Time and time again, so-called Christians commit crimes against their own religion's teachings, "repent", and then do it again.  It's horribly hypocritical.  I much prefer the stance of "if you do something wrong, you're going to hell forever" to that of "if you do something wrong, just own up to it and we'll forgive you".

November 29, 2010, 08:17:46 PM
I think of evil and Satanism in black metal as methods for trolling mainstream society. However, how many of the original Norwegian songs are actually about those topics? If we were to compile a list of songs written and recorded from the late eighties until somewhere around 1994, I wonder how many would be explicitly about Satanism. I can think of three off the top of my head (De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, Dominuus Sathanas, Inno a Satana), but it's actually quite hard to come up with more than that.

I think back then their lyrics, for a few of their songs at least, were written by Mortiis.  He actually published a book later called "Secrets of my Kingdom" which is filled with a lot of this sort of romantic fantasy writing.  I'd argue that Mortiis's influence at the time is what made Emperor so majestic and fantastic, because it seems like not long after he left, and when the band started composing songs without him is when it started losing its power.

Maybe, but consider that Mortiis is now Marilyn Manson. Ihsahn actually captured the spirit of black metal better on his own via Thou Shalt Suffer, which was quite literally Romanticist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmG3OfOn8-E

November 29, 2010, 11:09:50 PM
While good and evil exist only up to a point of a human realization, sacrifice is always evil and sometimes a necessary catalyst. If a sacrifice is not evil, it's not a sacrifice and therefore null and void. Amongst other issues, Black Metal deals with this need.

November 30, 2010, 12:35:34 AM
Maybe, but consider that Mortiis is now Marilyn Manson. Ihsahn actually captured the spirit of black metal better on his own via Thou Shalt Suffer, which was quite literally Romanticist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmG3OfOn8-E
Sounds like just wankery to me.  Where's the spirit?  Perhaps it is a subjective thing, but this Thou Shalt Suffer has never been able to grab me.  It has always seemed lifeless, like it had been generated by a computer.  

And yes, what Mortiis is doing now is garbage, but it's not like that's any different from any of the other second-wave black metal people.

November 30, 2010, 07:09:14 AM
I think of evil and Satanism in black metal as methods for trolling mainstream society. However, how many of the original Norwegian songs are actually about those topics? If we were to compile a list of songs written and recorded from the late eighties until somewhere around 1994, I wonder how many would be explicitly about Satanism. I can think of three off the top of my head (De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, Dominuus Sathanas, Inno a Satana), but it's actually quite hard to come up with more than that.

Satan was cool when Slayer did it because it was a mythology. When Watain does it, it's propaganda of a Communist nature: we are all equal and able to do whatever we want, or Jesus wins, so hail Satan.

November 30, 2010, 08:48:19 AM

Satan was cool when Slayer did it because it was a mythology. When Watain does it, it's propaganda of a Communist nature: we are all equal and able to do whatever we want, or Jesus wins, so hail Satan.

You can't ignore The Goat, He wouldn't be around if He wasn't real. He had to retire to Hades. Watain or no Watain matters not anyway, and if He is not Satan, so be it. I understand your point, but take a look at the useful Promethean current alleged to The Goat.