Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The spirit of black metal

Re: The spirit of black metal
November 30, 2010, 11:08:18 AM
Maybe, but consider that Mortiis is now Marilyn Manson. Ihsahn actually captured the spirit of black metal better on his own via Thou Shalt Suffer, which was quite literally Romanticist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmG3OfOn8-E
Sounds like just wankery to me.  Where's the spirit?  Perhaps it is a subjective thing, but this Thou Shalt Suffer has never been able to grab me.  It has always seemed lifeless, like it had been generated by a computer.  

And yes, what Mortiis is doing now is garbage, but it's not like that's any different from any of the other second-wave black metal people.

I actually vastly prefer early Mortiis to Thou Shalt Suffer, but the point was that Mortiis wasn't the only member of Emperor interested in Romanticism, and was also not exempt from the general trend of black metal musicians making garbage later in their careers. I see what you mean, though I'll give Ihsahn credit for using shifts in volume to prevent his music from sounding completely robotic.

December 03, 2010, 01:37:59 AM
I don't understand the obsession with evil in black metal, if it was amoral wouldn't conceptions of good/evil be thrown out the window completely in favour of total perspective from the natural/ancient world?

In hindsight, the often used concept of 'evil' in 90s black metal should be seen as a symbol of the distancing of oneself from moral conventions. It is a logical view in that modern day moralism encourages people to view themselves as essentialy 'good-natured'. This does not mean that 'evil' in black metal is a product of a dualistic philosophy. Rather it is a simplified term, carried over from earlier less than serious heavy metal, that in the context of black metal ultimately denotes strength and adventurousness in character.

December 03, 2010, 02:06:52 AM
I'll take pleasure in repeating myself: good and evil exist up to a point in a personal realization. Black Metal deals with committing evil both to enemies (as opposed to turning the other cheek) and to the programmed Ego (as opposed to the true Self), which both cause pain. Dealing with pain on these two planes is not presented adequately through education etc., so Black Metal kids take the Matter in their own hands and proceed accordingly.

I have yet to meet one who surpassed good and evil. Realizing the emptiness of these concepts and predicting the further development is one thing, but surpassing...