Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Are most metalheads just...losers?

Re: Are most metalheads just...losers?
May 20, 2009, 07:23:02 AM
Real achievement is making the change you desire in life. Not just acting on yourself, but acting on the world.

The human disease is to withdraw into the individual, please the self, and let everything else slide. The result is the status quo.

People who withdraw are losers, in my view. Say what you want about CEOs and billionaires, but they got something done.

One more burn-out working in a record shop is not going to do dick about what that individual finds bad or uninspiring in life. They will just get more depressed and burnt-out.

Sorry, but I think this is nonsense. Your mistake is to adopt the modern idea of 'progress'. The invention of the ipod was a progress of sorts, but it also led to people sitting on trains totally dissociated from other people. These inventors were doing what they thought was good for the world but in my view they would have been better off digging up turnips. They got something done, sure, but what good did it do? Everyone does what they do for their individual selves and higher morality was just a substitute for inner desires, Nietzsche recognized this. You yourself say you want to make changes you consider to be good, but at least admit you are doing this for yourself, and not for any higher goal.

On a more personal level, I'm one of those who completed an arduous education and found that after years of intense studying days and nights my thinking became rigid. I identified myself as my mind and metal and other brainy music made it worse. Metal forums are another vice. One thing I realized is that 'I' am not my brain. I'm trying to reverse this by separating my Being from my ego which hijacked my brain and emotions for many years. I'm not saying my education wasn't a mistake. Most people go through life frustrated because their ego and brain controls them. Others manage to become themselves again and re-experience the joy of life again as a child does.

May 20, 2009, 12:35:43 PM
Quote from: esoteric
Most people go through life frustrated because their ego and brain controls them. Others manage to become themselves again and re-experience the joy of life again as a child does.

I think you've got everything all mixed up.  Living as a child (i.e. for yourself) is giving in to your ego.  Living to achieve higher goals (i.e. as an adult) is overcoming the ego.  The world doesn't need more children.  It needs more adults ... desperately.

May 20, 2009, 03:22:24 PM
Most people go through life frustrated because their ego and brain controls them. Others manage to become themselves again and re-experience the joy of life again as a child does.

I think you've got everything all mixed up.  Living as a child (i.e. for yourself) is giving in to your ego.  Living to achieve higher goals (i.e. as an adult) is overcoming the ego.  The world doesn't need more children.  It needs more adults ... desperately.

I didn't say anything about living as a child, just one aspect of children that we should keep with us. You have to admit that the modern life makes us lose something we had as children, just look at all the miserable people around. How do you not live for yourself? Haven't we accepted here long ago that everybody lives for themselves? There's no difference between living for yourself and living to achieve higher goals when the higher goals are achieved to satisfy yourself.

May 20, 2009, 04:20:24 PM
There is a difference between being childish and being childlike. Childlike behavior is immersing yourself in the desire to understand the world and how to function within it. Being childish is doing shit because you can.

May 20, 2009, 06:49:29 PM
I didn't say anything about living as a child, just one aspect of children that we should keep with us. You have to admit that the modern life makes us lose something we had as children, just look at all the miserable people around. How do you not live for yourself? Haven't we accepted here long ago that everybody lives for themselves? There's no difference between living for yourself and living to achieve higher goals when the higher goals are achieved to satisfy yourself.

Ah, I see what you're saying.  I think what you're describing is a mixture of wonder, innocence, and naivety that children possess.  I think that the shattering of childhood illusions / ignorance is a good thing.  The fact that it makes certain people miserable is unfortunate, but it's just something people have to learn to get over.

I'll agree with you that everyone lives for themselves to a degree, but the notion that people ONLY live for themselves is absurd.  I must have missed the meeting when everyone agreed on that.  Part of being an adult is learning to determine what is right, and then doing that even if there are easier, more pleasurable, or more convenient ways, or even if it is not the option that is most beneficial to you personally.

November 20, 2010, 07:57:37 PM
What it means to be serious about life? Should we all take loans, buy big houses and then work constantly for next 40 years, just to prove something?

Without requiring some proof of competence at living life, we get groundless assumptions of equality and soon begin to subsidize incompetence as someone else has described it. Fortunately, or perhaps unfortunately from an evolutionary perspective, proving our worth in today's world is safe, managed, and routine.

People who spend their lives collecting vinyls and working shitty jobs are not dangerous to this society... the most dangerous are the greedy people. Let's stand for the adventure.

I think the danger is that mediocrity turns into a standard, trivial materialism instead of innovation, heroism, or any other type of striving are primary pursuits in life. Greed is a low form of relentless striving because in a procedural, bureaucratic world, it is the violence of cowards who nonetheless find reward for their nature.

November 20, 2010, 11:05:49 PM
And, again, bad money drives out good.