Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

ANUS projects

ANUS projects
November 21, 2010, 11:29:45 AM
While this forum is cool and all, for the interesting discussions and positive values and all that, I can't help but feel we could be achieving more here. Rather than just being a higher quality version of usual forums, where a vague topic or interesting bit of information is posted, and then we discuss it and move on, why not systematically propose goals which we can then work towards (and hopefully achieve)?

Purpose of this thread: brainstorm possible projects and other ideas for the forum.

Re: ANUS projects
November 21, 2010, 11:37:28 AM
Some initial ideas:

- systematise the general philosophy and other ideas promoted by this site, laying out in as concise a way possible what they are, and deriving them from first principles, in a general logical fashion (i.e. listing assumptions, combining assumptions together through syllogism or otherwise to get to the desired conclusion)

- have structured threads, where a question is posed, and then answered in a systematic way (break down of the question, what the answer to the question would look like etc.) - i.e. be Top Down, rather than Bottom Up.

- [ list of possible questions which could be answered ]

November 21, 2010, 03:10:10 PM
Networking.  I don't know any of the users here in real life, and I'm pretty certain that some of them live in my country, if not in my city (and/or cities).  Before we decide on any grander goals, we should establish "real-world" connections, and a physical base/physical bases.  Strength of numbers will enable us to take on greater projects.

November 21, 2010, 03:22:35 PM
While this forum is cool and all, for the interesting discussions and positive values and all that, I can't help but feel we could be achieving more here.

Before we decide on any grander goals, we should establish "real-world" connections, and a physical base/physical bases.

I agree, although I think you'll need to network a group before you can afford any physical plant.

November 22, 2010, 06:35:42 AM
All of my closest friends have been found through these forums, it just takes a bit of effort and organizing.

If you recall one of the boards first official meetings, it was a trip to New York to see Bela Bartok's Blue Beard Castle followed by an Immolation concert at BB-Kings.  It turned out to be a life changing and re-affirming trip as we extended what would be a casual meet and greet before a concert to a three-day epic expedition of music appreciation, a hiking trip and deep philosophical discussions.

The write-up on the event can be found here:
Nationwide Meeting Summons Reality Advocates

I still routinely contact these individuals despite some of them living across the country and have even made a few trips out to Colorado to continue where our thoughts left off.  In retrospect, the passing Incantation show would have been another prime opportunity to capitalize on -- we still have a rather gloomy looking MDF to consider.

November 22, 2010, 04:21:14 PM
Some initial ideas:

- systematise the general philosophy and other ideas promoted by this site, laying out in as concise a way possible what they are, and deriving them from first principles, in a general logical fashion (i.e. listing assumptions, combining assumptions together through syllogism or otherwise to get to the desired conclusion)

- have structured threads, where a question is posed, and then answered in a systematic way (break down of the question, what the answer to the question would look like etc.) - i.e. be Top Down, rather than Bottom Up.

- [ list of possible questions which could be answered ]

I hear what you're saying, but the trouble is nobody is going to elaborate about serious matters like philosophy on the internet beyond a certain point, the point past which the authors might as well just write articles and/or books about it and actually a) generate references/credentials and b) get paid. If you really want, perhaps some sort of publishing venture should be considered in this thread.

On a different note, you could affirm and promote a call to action by setting up an action-oriented organization. This way the organization can serve as a framework to unite a community, and aspects of it like a manifesto can clearly delineate what its goals are so that prospective members can clearly understand what it's about and whether or not they wish to join. In this vein however I think it's always important to examine already-existing organizations to see if there's already one that fits your bill and that maybe it's not worth the trouble to create a new one dealing with the same basic thing (there are many organizations already out there).

I definitely think that whatever you do it shouldn't be based out of these forums. People who sign up for these forums have an idea what they're about, these forums already serve a purpose and have an identity. And forum discussion is so prone to negative patterns. The forums could be a good place for a node or recruiting area though.

November 22, 2010, 05:07:34 PM
I hear what you're saying, but the trouble is nobody is going to elaborate about serious matters like philosophy on the internet beyond a certain point, the point past which the authors might as well just write articles and/or books about it and actually a) generate references/credentials and b) get paid. If you really want, perhaps some sort of publishing venture should be considered in this thread.

The idea is that no particular person need elaborate too far, but just contribute small bits of information, which can then be made coherent through collective efforts (dialectics, summarising information etc.). An internet forum, or similar, seems to be an appropriate medium for this to take place.

I'm just putting the idea out there for now.

November 22, 2010, 07:19:59 PM
The idea is that no particular person need elaborate too far, but just contribute small bits of information, which can then be made coherent through collective efforts (dialectics, summarising information etc.). An internet forum, or similar, seems to be an appropriate medium for this to take place.

I'm just putting the idea out there for now.

OK I have a better idea what you mean now. Keep in mind I'm just being the devil's advocate here, but there are two points that come to my mind that could be problematic with your idea.

First, I wasn't aware that DLA promotes any philosophical perspective unique to DLA (unless perhaps you're talking about Hessian philosophy). So in this sense wouldn't it be better to recommend other philosophy books and articles? The exception would be if DLA wishes to speak to certain truths in a particular style or tone, maintaining a philosophical perspective that's not overtly unique but that delivers the message (and thereby influences the content of the message) in a subtle, unique way. This is a tall order however requiring expertise in the domain of philosophy and the domain of writing, therefore I think talk of organized promotion of DLA's philosophical perspective is premature until (you and/or others) determine specifically what is the nature of DLA's philosophical perspective and what you would seek to accomplish by constructing a voice and speaking of it in the marketplace of ideas. I mean these types of projects often end up wreaking of arm-chair philosophy; however it's possible and I think it's commendable to be thinking in such directions.

Second, I don't understand how various authors would contribute parts of text but then it would be made coherent in a single voice. Specifically, what's the point of having numerous authors, if ultimately only a handful of authors get to say how the finished product will be? Why not just have these handful of writers write everything, then?

On a personal note every instance of serious-minded, collaborate discussion forum venture that I can recall witnessing has failed rather miserably.

November 23, 2010, 03:52:00 AM
Sometimes it is the case that tiny steps can lead on to bigger things. The most depressing case is to make a useful proposition, discuss it to death, but fail to move an iota in the direction of the proposal itself. I can offer a tiny step. Join the NIHIL list where several nihilists regularly conspire to e-sodomize the herp derps over the intertard. This has been going on several times a week for a couple of years. Then help expand NIHIL efforts at certain social networking sites. Accomplishing this excruciatingly tiny step can prep participants for the next level of activity, whatever that may be.

November 23, 2010, 04:23:04 AM
Join the NIHIL list where several nihilists regularly conspire to e-sodomize the herp derps over the intertard.

Reference material: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/general-metal-discussion/315931-chuck-schuldiner-memorial-thread.html

November 29, 2010, 04:18:30 AM
I have to second on haethen's post.  I've also met some of my closest friends networking on the ANUS forums, or through a common found interest in related ideas outside the context of the site.  Surprisingly, I've been recently meeting quite a few people in Toronto and southern Ontario who read the site.  I think that the propagating of ideas that ANUS has done till this point is more valuable than any restructuring of the site to still happen, because it has so far manifested itself in real world connections.

November 29, 2010, 05:54:03 AM
Join the NIHIL list where several nihilists regularly conspire to e-sodomize the herp derps over the intertard.

Reference material: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/general-metal-discussion/315931-chuck-schuldiner-memorial-thread.html
Yes it's funny, and yes they're retards, but there have to be better things we could be doing with our time.  

Perhaps we can have a more organized system of creating music ourselves and then discussing it amongst each other.  Or maybe we could do an "album of the week" sort of thing where we all discuss an album each week that is not a clear classic but has potential to be recognized as one if we chew it over enough, quality similar to a number of the albums reveiwed in the DLA blog.

November 29, 2010, 08:56:53 AM
Radio Nihil should come back. I would be interested in working on this come the new year.

November 29, 2010, 02:03:22 PM
That would be good to have Radio Nihil back. Propaganda Ministry is positioned to promote each new release to new listeners.

December 02, 2010, 07:08:47 PM
Or maybe we could do an "album of the week" sort of thing where we all discuss an album each week that is not a clear classic but has potential to be recognized as one if we chew it over enough, quality similar to a number of the albums reveiwed in the DLA blog.

Or maybe the obvious: update the ANUS, produce more content, promote that content and reach a wider audience.