Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Atheist - Jupiter

Atheist - Jupiter
November 22, 2010, 12:10:53 PM
Has anyone heard this yet? Is it worth a listen?

Re: Jupiter
November 22, 2010, 08:39:04 PM
Compositionally and "riffly" it's weaker than it's guitar tone. But not quite as weak as the Kid Rock styled vocals!

I will say that they made an honest effort, it was not created to get at the wallets of their fans. They just wanted to return to their glory days, and failed.

Re: Jupiter
November 23, 2010, 03:39:19 AM
Compositionally and "riffly" it's weaker than it's guitar tone. But not quite as weak as the Kid Rock styled vocals!

I will say that they made an honest effort, it was not created to get at the wallets of their fans. They just wanted to return to their glory days, and failed.

I recall in one of Kelly Shaefer's recent interviews he says this album was a continuation of Unquestionable Presence, not Elements. I can see that, but as you said, they tried replicating the ideas of that album 20 years later, and these ideas were not as pristine and pure as they were on Unquestionable Presence.

As a result, we got an honest record that had a compositional value a bit higher than Elements. but it wasn't quite good enough to break into the upper echelons of quality death metal.

I think the main reason is probably the lack of Roger Patterson though.