Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Enthusiasm for sports

Re: Enthusiasm for sports
November 26, 2010, 12:09:20 PM
Boxing is always fun to watch. When I went to the Olypmic games in Athens in 2004, I managed to catch a match or 2.

MMA/UFC has really become the commercial whore in recent years. I prefer the earlier years of Pride fighting; less regulations, more insanity.

The Death of Pride haunts me to this day...

MMA is becoming more and more commercial but with that the quality of athletes increases and so does the pay scale. The WEC, a UFC owned league designed for the lighter weight classes for the last two years have put on some of the pound for pound best hand to hand combat events in human history.

November 26, 2010, 12:53:44 PM
I don't understand peoples immense enthusiasm for sports; it seems the talk comes about as much as weather, and the worshipping of teams and the rituals that come along with that baffles me, I don't know how people can be so concerned with "their" team.  And when people go on about a certain player like a peasant talking about the King

Where once humans were concerned with who could kill the most deer, slay the most enemies or carry the most logs, we now replace that with who can run the fastest.

Think about the roles athletic contests and games would have had in earlier societies. It isn't hard to understand if truly taken in context of our species.

November 26, 2010, 10:29:12 PM
I guess it does make sense, I'm quite sure Roman citizens talked about the happenings at the Coliseum as much as the weather.  I think the commercializiation of sports is what turns me off the most, if a pro football team loses they still make millions and that loses its appeal to me

November 27, 2010, 01:24:49 AM
Except deer-killing once had a purpose outside of competition, and in history the spectators of all these events have always been the lowest of the plebians. Since when is something a good activity because "The Romans did it"? There's a reason you always see masses of working-class and not senior judges or heart surgeons at spectator sports.

November 27, 2010, 09:17:31 AM
Sports themselves are integral (albeit probably unnecessary) aspect of human life.  However the mindless subcultures that have spawned around them (in America at least, not sure about the rest of the world) are just embarrassing.  It doesn't seem to matter to these "fans" that so much is going on in the world as long as they can drown out any sounds made by their brains with a bright, flashy, mindfuck distraction like a football game, where one is bombarded by countless advertisements and guys in suits (always one black guy and one woman nowadays) talking about what other guys in uniforms are doing, like they have any bearing or any of it actually matters. 

Athletic competition in a purer form can be a wonderful thing to behold, but this modern money-driven sports "culture" is just disgusting.  But as we all know, most people would rather deal with a game they can pretend is important than actually facing the dangers of reality.

November 27, 2010, 10:31:00 AM
Except deer-killing once had a purpose outside of competition, and in history the spectators of all these events have always been the lowest of the plebians. Since when is something a good activity because "The Romans did it"? There's a reason you always see masses of working-class and not senior judges or heart surgeons at spectator sports.

Total nonsense. Competition in athletics teaches numerous lessons that have validity with young men and women today, and can help maintain a healthy mind and body. Kings have gathered to watch champions compete since the beginning of our history and the VIP booths are full of lawyers and doctors today.

November 27, 2010, 03:39:05 PM
It's just an expression of the party-gang mentality inherent in human nature. Sports teams are the closest thing most modern people have to tribes.

November 27, 2010, 05:24:38 PM
It's just an expression of the party-gang mentality inherent in human nature. Sports teams are the closest thing most modern people have to tribes.

Exactly. I hadn't even touched on sports as they relate to nationalism yet. Go find some Spanish people and tell them their World Cup victory is meaningless.

The things that make athletics suck are the same things that hinder all things with value in today's world. It isn't the concept of sports or athletics in itself.

Try and figure out what exactly you have the issue with. The Superbowl game itself? Or the commercials?

December 02, 2010, 10:04:37 PM
Pigskin is boring, though. Not enough movement, short bursts of excitement (if you could call it that), and far too many unnecessary rules.

December 03, 2010, 09:17:25 AM
I used to let sports get me down, but then I realized that it gives an activity for the neanderthals. Instead of having to talk to one about 'bangin' a hoe' they're secured in a house drinking Budweiser.

What? You want to remove sports? But then what. They might invent fire!

Possibly ends thread. Sports = primal instincts. Books = intellect.

December 03, 2010, 05:21:55 PM
I play tennis and sail.

I think it is is fun.

December 06, 2010, 12:15:08 PM
I used to let sports get me down, but then I realized that it gives an activity for the neanderthals. Instead of having to talk to one about 'bangin' a hoe' they're secured in a house drinking Budweiser.

What? You want to remove sports? But then what. They might invent fire!

Possibly ends thread. Sports = primal instincts. Books = intellect.

Unfortunately, this is the view of a short sighted pussy.

A healthy society values both physical and intellectual strength. All the great societies have had significant sporting traditions. The Greeks(the Olympics), the Romans(the symbol of their empire, the Colosseum), Ancient Egypt, Ancient China, Persia and on and on. Sports are an intrinsic part of humanity and like all positive things should be celebrated. Enjoyed equally by villagers and emperors. Your bitterness betrays the reason you dislike sports. Don't let the fact you were picked on by jocks and black kids cloud your logic.

December 06, 2010, 06:57:53 PM

"Blessed are the iron-handed, the unfit shall flee before them - Cursed are the haters of battle, subjugation is their portion
Blessed are the death-defiant, their days shall be long in the land - Cursed are the feeble-brained, for they shall perish amidst plenty"

December 07, 2010, 01:17:51 PM
What's wrong with primal instincts?

December 07, 2010, 06:24:55 PM
What's wrong with primal instincts?

Nothing. Much of what is wrong with the world today results from trying to suppress or funnel those down unnatural channels.