Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Transilvanian Hunger overated

Transilvanian Hunger overated
June 03, 2006, 04:03:19 PM
This is my first ever post on any forums, as i seldom surf the net and i am doing this because it is about metal.

The following is only my opinion of the Transilvanian Hunger album, please do not be mad at me if my opinion defers from yours.

Being an owner of all the Darkthrone albums from "Land of Frost"  and "soulside Journey" all the way to their more recent releases, Tons of people including Fenriz himself is going to rip me off and call me a Jew for saying this but contrary to popular beliefs, i find, rather ironically, that Transilvanian Hunger is by far the worst Darkthrone release ever. The album sounded flat, monotonous and  a bore to listen to.

Re: Transilvanian Hunger overated
June 03, 2006, 04:09:15 PM
Not that i have anything against this band, one of my favourite bands actually, but Transilvanian Hunger deviates a little from their previous release, "Under a Funeral Moon", as it features melodic rifts played over and over again. a far cry from "A Blaze in the Northern Sky." Transilvanian Hunger reminds me of the Master Burzum works. but however, not anybody can do this kind of style well (Till date only count Grishnack is successful of this style). Burzum's music sounded harsh, cold and murderous, and of course, there is the keyboards. The most seductive thing of Burzum however, is the cold, dark atmosphere, which maked listening to the same rifts over and over again justified as we just can't get enough of it.

i don't see this in Transilvanian Hunger. the songs contain lame rifts and frail melody. for the 1st time, Darkthrone sounded like amatuer musicians. The atmosphere in the album just wasn't cold enough. In fact they warmed up a little, considering that "Under a Funeral Moon" sounded colder.

June 03, 2006, 04:19:40 PM
i remember there was once when a friend of mine who had not heard of DArkthrone yet borrowed the Transilvanian Hunger album from me and came back saying that it wasn't good enough. But when i asked him to listen to "A Blaze in the Northern Sky", he immediately liked the band.

Yet till today, many reviews to my surprise rated the album hell high and called "The best black metal album" for a long time till today. In actual fact, they don't know shit when there are obviously much better black metal albums around.

My advice is "Fuck the Reviews." don't read them and don't be influenced by all the mainstream shit and media. Certain people i have seen like the album because they were afraid of being labelled "holy" by the media. But i am not afraid of what people think of me.

June 03, 2006, 05:17:10 PM
to say it's the worst darkthrone release ever is something i totally cannot agree with, especially with so many of their releases being garbage after 1996.

June 03, 2006, 07:41:15 PM
Why announce this?

June 04, 2006, 03:02:23 AM
There is a great divide over this album, i have read many reviews that say it is an essential black metal release, and many saying the opposite, no one holds the middle ground. I myself was able to get into the album from the first and still hold it to be Darkthrone's best work. It seems to me with "Ablaze in the Northern Sky" and "Under a Funeral Moon" they were honing their sound to perfection and then achieved this with "Transilvanian Hunger". It is the high point of their career.

June 04, 2006, 05:21:58 AM
This album can be summed up with one word: Hypnotic. It's meant to be repetitious and very straightforward because it wants to maintain a certain feeling.

For me, this album resembles zombies in a trance induced state, playing the purest hate-filled music, influenced by all that is unholy.

Needless to say, I find the concept brilliant, and it's a continuation of the style Sarcofago innovated with their "INRI" album.

June 04, 2006, 08:39:11 AM
i like a lot a blaze in the northern sky, under a funeral moon and transilvanian hunger, equally. these are the best darkthrone albums... transilvaninan hunger is really good imo

Annihilaytorr

June 04, 2006, 10:46:59 AM
Transilvanian Hunger is great.

Sisyphe : Do you dislike those Darkthrone songs?

They resemble DM more than the TH stuff does. When you say "brootal" do you mean someone with a Death Metal ethos?

June 04, 2006, 06:12:45 PM
I don't think many disagree about it being the purest expression of that particular path of BM, most complaints seem to be a result of people disliking the path itself. I can see how Transilvanian Hunger would be repetitive for some - I went through a phase when I felt the same, and I still favour UAFM despite feeling that it isn't necessarily as *good* as TH is at doing what it sets out to do.

June 05, 2006, 11:53:52 AM
Transilvanian Hunger is a brilliant piece of music. And honestly it does not borrow the Burzum style at all. In fact, it is Transilvanian Hunger that started the now famous riffing style we can hear on the album, and one must be really erroneous to associate this kind of melodies, song progressions, and drumming, with a Burzum rip-off.

It's normal that most people could prefer A Blaze In The Northern Style or Under A Funeral Moon, simply because for them they will sound more catchy. One br00tal type can find Kathaarian Life Code appealing, just as much as people who need "catchy" riffs can find To Walk The Infernal Fields appealing.

Transilvanian Hunger has nothing of this. It's not "brutal", it's not "catchy" in the sense that this word has for rock music listeners, and its drumming prevents any pop music or rock aficionado to really get in (make average people listen to this, you'll see). It is very pure in its concept and execution, and lies on the flowing melodies, their repetition and their echoing significance when a change occurs in the song. It resembles classical music played on an industrial/trance mode, and has almost nothing to do with rock music, thus it won't appeal to rock music listeners, meaning most of the types who listen to Metal.

Saying that Transilvanian Hunger is not cold enough is like saying that Death and the Maiden by Schubert is not melancholic enough.

i agree

Annihilaytorr

June 05, 2006, 01:11:39 PM
The opening part of Kathaarian(wtf@kartharian) Life Code is one of the coolest moments on that whole album.  

I must be a rocker.

June 06, 2006, 01:19:35 AM
ok i know i talk too much in my 1st post.

Anyway, i created this topic because i am dissapointed that in many areas that Transilvanian Hunger is refered to the "best Darkthrone work till date." which i totally cannot agree with. i think their best is "A Blaze in the Northern Sky." . By the way "Goatlord", "Under a Funeral Moon" are better than Transilvanian Hunger. Why is it that Transilvanian Hunger is more in the limelight?

Secondly, i totally disagree that in many so called Black Metal enthusiast or media labelled Transilvanian Hunger the "Favourite and Best Black Metal Album in History.", because obviously there are better albums such as "Forest Poetry", "Wrath of the Tyrant" or even "Deathcrush" to name a few.

June 06, 2006, 02:23:49 AM
This is because it was when Darkthrone (considered one of the big four in black metal, along with Burzum, Immortal and Emperor) truely defined their sound. It is what they had been aiming for with their two previous works, whether you like the music or not.

euronymous

June 06, 2006, 07:03:23 AM
This is because it was when Darkthrone (considered one of the big four in black metal, along with Burzum, Immortal and Emperor) truely defined their sound. It is what they had been aiming for with their two previous works, whether you like the music or not.

Where do you leave Mayhem   ;)