Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Good popular music

Re: Good popular music
December 18, 2010, 02:51:08 PM
I just got Stratovarius's discography - Dreamscapes is a very interesting album.  Pretty much everything else just sounds like European Power Metal (probably because all other European Power Metal sounds like a cross between Stratovarius and Helloween).  I've got a few Helloween albums, and Lost Horizon's first album, as well as good old DragonForce, the best Metal band ever.

December 18, 2010, 03:44:32 PM
as well as good old DragonForce, the best Metal band ever.

Trololololol.

Anyway, I'd consider power metal to be a part of pop music. It's very basically structured most of the time, even though it has a metal shell it's mostly hard rock or glam rock. That being said, there are still some solid acts within the genre.

December 18, 2010, 03:57:08 PM
Lost Horizon is pretty much the only Power Metal band I can think of that generally breaks from the verse/chorus structure, at least on their first album.

December 19, 2010, 09:48:07 PM
Discovery is the only Daft Punk album I have, and I think it's definitely worth getting.

Check out homework.

December 23, 2010, 01:55:29 PM
Good pop music, especially from 3.35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUbc4W8mfow

December 23, 2010, 03:15:39 PM
"Music as entertainment" as opposed to "music as Art".

For people with high standards, there's very little in the public eye that is both (a) musically competent (b) artistically competent and (c) relevant, meaning about the issues that are important in reality and not all the social crap people talk about. Here's what made the cut for me:

* Fripp/Eno or Fripp ambient
* Yes
* Kraftwerk
* Camel
* Tangerine Dream
* early Doors
* Biosphere

There may be a few more, but other than that, it's kind of a void.

Things that didn't make the cut:

* Rush: faux prog, Thomas Kinkade/Hallmark styled twee emo "wisdom."
* Led Zeppelin
* The blues and jazz
* Techno
* Hip-hop
* Velvet Underground
* The Beatles (still pop, just one good technique applied)

That should upset enough people to start out.

December 23, 2010, 09:09:15 PM
With the emotions of the public the way they are, asking for good popular music is as worthwhile as asking for good children's music.  You're not going to find much.

Rot

December 24, 2010, 02:42:47 AM
Devo's pre-major label recordings contains murky, threatening, dark electronic rock music that is enjoyable in a sadistic way, its actually a good weapon to torture people with. The lyrics deal with mocking the stupid, mentally retarded and handicapped. I'd say go with Hardcore Devo Volume 2. In a similar vein Ween's The Pod is not only their best album but probably the best rock album of all time. It also drives people fucking insane, you could probably torture terrorists at Guantanamo Bay with that fucker but I'd avoid everything else they've done.  Kraftwerk's good, I'm not above listening to Thin Lizzy or old AC/DC. Captain Beefheart can be interesting on certain tracks. I've taken about 2-3 songs a piece off of all The Who's albums and got one good solid fucking album out of the whole deal. If you want to listen to Electric Wizard (girl stoner pop!) I'd say listen to 1972's Jerusalem instead, check out the song Primitive Man. Frank Zappa in his crueler more conservative moments made some of the most hilarious music ever recorded, that guy was no peace n love hippy, he hated em.  I don't have any deep love for this music but some of it can be entertaining when done right.