Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

How to kill your soul

How to kill your soul
November 27, 2010, 07:45:02 AM
If you find this woman, rape her with a fork:

7 Ways to Find Joy
Even in Gridlock Traffic

Gratitude is the gentle recognition, rediscovery or "re-remembering" of the simple abundance around you.

It is to be a child again, in awe of a purple crayon.

It is sprinting from your car to the office and commanding your jangling thoughts to stop just long enough to savor the sight of someone holding the elevator door for you, someone you do not even know.

Gratitude is noticing the extraordinary in the ordinary. And then taking the nanosecond to feel it.

But in this adrenaline-driven, multi-tasking frenzy we call Life, how do we have time to stop and smell the roses when we don't even have time to stop for gas?

That's just the introduction. Here comes the full retard part:

1. Just stop.
2. Freeze-frame it.
3. Create a gratitude list.
4. Replace the words 'at least' with 'even if'.

http://www.uthealthleader.org/archive/MIND_BODY_SOUL/2003/7ways-1124.html

Retarded neurosis:

Don't fix problems, change your thinking about them.

Don't hate the bad, try to find a way to accept it.

The world isn't real, just change the symbols in your head.

Fork.

Re: How to kill your soul
November 27, 2010, 09:28:17 AM
Yeah this kind of thing really makes me vomit. It's amazing it's actually helpful for some people, however even then it's hardly the optimum way to deliver the message of self-help. What it is, is attractive, to some people, so they'll actually pick the book up in the first place and take a look at it (their mind is extremely picky about what it will let them touch). Perhaps our society's laws prevent a more direct approach to help such people, or sometimes it's the complacency of their friends and family who if they don't try feverishly to help the person get better at least they should stop putting up with their BS and sever their relationship with them.

Arguably the extent to which this new-age fluff is helpful to some people is severely outweighed by the extent to which it's very far from ideal quality of help, such that it fails to altogether turn the tide in people and point people towards a workable vector however it does slow their progress along the unhealthy, impossible vector they're already working with--slowing them from reaching that proverbial cliff edge that's necessary to be confronted as it offers a make-or-break climax scenario that in insisting upon change for the status quo is no longer feasible at least it offers the possibility of making real progress and getting back on track.

Sometimes this new-age fluff can prolong one's reaching that proverbial cliff edge to an extreme degree, being a particularly excellent source of distraction and excuse-making. However it's worth noting that if one would get so tangled up in it to this degree, then the problem isn't so much with the self-help strategy per se, but with the person, because it's ignorance in them that will cause them to find somewhere or other extremely good sources of distraction and excuse-making; and it's impossible to eradicate all such potential sources throughout society. Yet the fact that this new-age fluff is something of a spiritual/philosophical/psychological nature, and the fact that it's spirituality/philosophy/psychology that's ever going to get a person back on track, this makes this new-age fluff particularly detrimental to the marketplace of ideas as it undermines the very thing that's most urgently needed, in a time no less where it's already highly undermined even without new-age fluff.

To be honest in some cases though I think this new-age fluff can work actually well, it can succeed to get a person's life back on track. We find the terminology and concepts it uses disgusting, but to some, especially old timers I'd say, these terms and concepts are fresh, these old timers grew up in a different world with entirely different memes, and their way of thinking is very different. If they want to relate well however to people who don't share their opinions about it they had best recognize that their experience with the self-help strategy isn't at all applicable to everyone (something which they almost always fail to recognize).

November 27, 2010, 03:53:31 PM
Gratitude is the gentle recognition, rediscovery or "re-remembering" of the simple abundance around you.

It is to be a child again, in awe of a purple crayon.

It is sprinting from your car to the office and commanding your jangling thoughts to stop just long enough to savor the sight of someone holding the elevator door for you, someone you do not even know.

Gratitude is noticing the extraordinary in the ordinary. And then taking the nanosecond to feel it.

What is the bad in doing any of these? I can't imagine any benefit in rejecting joy and awe from one's life. If you want to fix problems you can't be bitter about them. Bitterness is what kills the soul, not hope.

November 27, 2010, 05:55:19 PM
What is the bad in doing any of these? I can't imagine any benefit in rejecting joy and awe from one's life. If you want to fix problems you can't be bitter about them. Bitterness is what kills the soul, not hope.

I'm inclined to agree. I just think the implication that we should find joy in everything including gridlock traffic isn't quite right, even though we can do nothing to change that.

He who binds to himself to joy
Does the winged life destroy;
But he who kisses the joy as it flies
Lives in Eternity's sunrise.
-William Blake.

November 27, 2010, 06:54:54 PM
While I'm not a fan of the way she words it, I don't think it's all terrible.

While it is unproductive to blindly sit back and accept the bad (which upon first read of this article sounds like what she is suggesting), it is equally unproductive to spend all you're time trying to "fix" everything you don't like in place of spending time discovering and enjoying the things you do like.

Although I detest the thinking of "at least" scenarios.  It sets one up to to accept mediocrity and failure.

An example includes, "Sure I hate my job and loathe going to it everyday, but at least I have my health"

November 28, 2010, 04:20:22 AM
"Sure I hate my job and loathe going to it everyday, but at least I have my health"

Quit.  Get a job that you like.  Then you can be healthy and enjoy your life.

There's even the slight suggestion in that statement that it's because you have your job that you have your health, which isn't true in the slightest.

November 28, 2010, 05:12:06 AM
At least it wasn't a knife.

November 28, 2010, 07:55:51 AM
What is the bad in doing any of these?

I forget. This is unfortunate, because just this morning I made an affirmation that I'll never forget to remember to never forget, but then as the day progressed I forgot what it was I was supposed to remember.

November 28, 2010, 08:16:08 AM
Quit.  Get a job that you like.  Then you can be healthy and enjoy your life.

I don't think it's that simple for everyone, but you're essentially right.  I started doing this 3 years ago. Unfortunately, it's costing me 5 more years of schooling to get to where I want to be, but being where I was easily could have turned into an early grave.  Luckily for me, I didn't have any major attachments (children, mortgage, credit card debt) that would get me into trouble if I just woke up and just "Quit." and got a job I liked.  I don't know what people who have these things would do if they found themselves in a job they loathe and wanted to a career 180.

November 29, 2010, 11:49:54 AM
I don't know what people who have these things would do if they found themselves in a job they loathe and wanted to a career 180.

Probably write/buy a self help book like the one mentioned, and convince themselves that "that's just how life is".

Or kill themselves....

November 29, 2010, 05:18:27 PM
Retarded neurosis:

Don't fix problems, change your thinking about them.

Don't hate the bad, try to find a way to accept it.

The world isn't real, just change the symbols in your head.

Fork.

"I have an intense fear of arachnids. Aaah! There are spiders everywhere! We should get out of here! What's that, you say? Leaving would only enable my arachnophobia? Drat. Guess I'm gonna have to stay put and let the spiders crawl all over me so that I can get over this biologically innate fear of mine. Ow! Cognitive-behavioral therapy really hurts!"

Or maybe, just maybe, it makes biological sense to not want to be poisoned. Modern society sure is silly.