Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

61% of metal fans listen to classical

61% of metal fans listen to classical
December 10, 2010, 08:26:26 PM
The neckbeards did a survey, and here are the results:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewanalytics?formkey=dHNWaTBGNTBqTVlZVU92X09oem4takE6MA#gid=0

61% of metal fans also noted classical as a genre they love.

Seems about right, maybe a little high, given that most of the angry internet people on that site think that Led Zeppelin is classical.

Re: 61% of metal fans listen to classical
December 11, 2010, 12:05:19 AM
Wow.. I wasn't aware that much metal fans enjoyed classical. I was also surprised when I saw the percentage that listened to rap... But yes, apart from metal I do like to listen to classical and jazz, all of my peers think I'm stupid for that so I always thought that classical music was only listened to by a select number of metalheads...

December 11, 2010, 12:24:53 AM
In my experience, metal fans are quick to tell everyone that they listen to classical, but rarely do. It's some sort of silly justification, because they know that the average person thinks of metal as noise for cro-magnon drop outs.

December 11, 2010, 03:31:14 AM
Apparently, 21% of metal fans also think "It's fucking brutal\m/" is a good enough response to "What's your favorite thing about metal"? What would be telling is if we got to see how much of this 21% coincide with 61% classical listeners.

December 11, 2010, 11:47:09 PM
In my experience, metal fans are quick to tell everyone that they listen to classical, but rarely do. It's some sort of silly justification, because they know that the average person thinks of metal as noise for cro-magnon drop outs.

Seconded. While I know several metal fans who truly enjoy classical on its own merits, ever since "A Headbanger's Journey" when the connection was made between metal and classical (though it existed already, and had been mentioned already), a lot of people seemed to catch on once that documentary came out. So now they hear 2 pieces by Beethoven and a piece by Vivaldi and all of a sudden they're classical fans. Hogwash.

December 12, 2010, 12:12:42 AM
Much worse, they are "classical" fans because they listen to metal covers of Bach and Vivaldi by Satriani or Batio, or ripoffs from Mozart by Children of Bodom, or barroque-rock by Haggard.

I love Therion for their metal and the texture that classical instrumentation brings at times, but classical is another beast. The connection between metal and classical is no that gross and obvious

I guess that  a lot of this 61% can't handle symphonies or sonatas or operas but just enjoy some quick classical tunes as your next contemporary modern adult does.

December 12, 2010, 01:31:29 AM

I guess that  a lot of this 61% can't handle symphonies or sonatas or operas but just enjoy some quick classical tunes as your next contemporary modern adult does.

All of my close friend from my hometown enjoy copious amounts of death and black metal as well as "classical" music including symphonies, chamber music, choral music, sonatas, concertos, you name it. Back in school we spent a lot of the time that we weren't out exploring the nearby forests or working out at the local gym listening to Palestrina, Schubert, Bruckner, Beethoven, Bach, Vivaldi, and Corelli, and similar artists, especially on cold winter nights when it was nice to be in a warm place with good company. I know we aren't reflective of the entire population of metalheads, but I imagine that the truth lies somewhere between metalheads actually enjoying and understanding classical music, and having Fur Elise on their iPod because they think the sweep-picking that Children of Bodom use is a classical technique.

December 12, 2010, 04:53:51 AM
Who are the "neckbeards" and how was this survey distributed?

Oops they're in the majority now, so they'll have to stop listening to classical.

December 12, 2010, 06:30:34 AM
All of my close friend from my hometown enjoy copious amounts of death and black metal as well as "classical" music including symphonies, chamber music, choral music, sonatas, concertos, you name it. Back in school we spent a lot of the time that we weren't out exploring the nearby forests or working out at the local gym listening to Palestrina, Schubert, Bruckner, Beethoven, Bach, Vivaldi, and Corelli, and similar artists, especially on cold winter nights when it was nice to be in a warm place with good company. I know we aren't reflective of the entire population of metalheads, but I imagine that the truth lies somewhere between metalheads actually enjoying and understanding classical music, and having Fur Elise on their iPod because they think the sweep-picking that Children of Bodom use is a classical technique.

You're lucky.

I found similar people in my days at the music school, they were good classical listeners, but not that very good with metal (technical metal was their choice, regardless another qualities).

I really appreciate this f.a.q. because it points things that are not that obvious in this connection. The bombastic, or Hollywood-like moments of orchestral music are exploited and confused by a lot of metalheads as a connection, even if they are in conservatories.

December 12, 2010, 07:28:03 AM
Again, this kind of "math" is deeply faulty. Any kind of procedure and result that resembles this after all democratic and populist, pseudo scientific bullshit, cannot be sufficient for any safe conclusion, especially concerning the positive results. First, any 500, 100, 1000 persons that answered would never represent the rest that didn't. Take anus community and you'll get this and this result, take half of anus community and some other random internet guys and you'll get completely other results, and so on ... Second, so what they are saying that now they're into metal * they may change their minds completely untill the next poll, only a few are constant, even when not going with the flow...

* what age are you? --- 13 - 25 so,  if i just pretend that this results would worth some kind of attention,i would say that that would be the age of most changes in ones choices and tastes, then only 25% proved a somewhat stable choice, being 10 years long into metal, then those would be almost the oldest of them, and if not, then the oldest are new in this and really they fall into "new metalheads" category and by this they should be considered more like supporters of other genres throughout their...life (?) :)) and not metal or classical...