Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Best Black Metal Album of 2010 Nominations

Best Black Metal Album of 2010 Nominations
December 11, 2010, 05:07:10 PM
Nomination: Setherial, Ekpyrosis.

Re: Best Black Metal Album of 2010 Nominations
December 11, 2010, 06:34:09 PM
Out of the ones I've heard so far, only Profanatica has made a great one. I'll be listening to Inquisition's as well, and I'm sure it will be good, but probably not anything more than that. Fantastic cover, though.

That being said, I don't really think of "best of the year" type categories. Which results in me not listening to any particular year's many releases until two or three years down the road. Best of the relevant period, sure - out of post-2000 black metal, for example, Avzhia's sophomore easily beats everything else. Engram comes in at second, followed closely by Oath Bound, Ildjarn-Nidhogg, Tetragrammatical Astygmata, and Belial Arisen. There were several other good ones, but those are the few I could consider calling actual classics, unless I'm forgetting one or two others(in which case they're probably not that classic anyway).

December 11, 2010, 11:34:37 PM
I think that Profanatica is 2009...

i listen to a lot of crap this year, really crap albums... the few that somehow stuck would be
Vasaeleth's, Hacavitz and Von Goat.
I guess the Divine Eve EP doesnt count.

(...now i remember that Black Funeral...)

Edit: i ve slipped some death here. well...

December 12, 2010, 06:23:34 AM
Profanatica's was originally being advertised with a much earlier (2009) release date, and ANUS seems to have gotten a preliminary leak for their review, but it didn't actually come out until this last August.

And what do you know, I did forget one after all - not in the classics category, but in the notable-albums-of-2010 category, and that was Black Funeral's. Vukolak is not his best, and not a fantastic album, but very good nonetheless; an interesting return to his older, more metalic style while maintaining some of the driving industrialist aesthetics from his newer ones. It's a bit of a grower, though. I'm also looking forward to hearing Avzhia's newest when I have the time, but I already know it can't top their previous album, which is amazing.

December 12, 2010, 11:04:10 AM
Out of the ones I've heard so far, only Profanatica has made a great one. I'll be listening to Inquisition's as well, and I'm sure it will be good, but probably not anything more than that. Fantastic cover, though.

That being said, I don't really think of "best of the year" type categories. Which results in me not listening to any particular year's many releases until two or three years down the road. Best of the relevant period, sure - out of post-2000 black metal, for example, Avzhia's sophomore easily beats everything else. Engram comes in at second, followed closely by Oath Bound, Ildjarn-Nidhogg, Tetragrammatical Astygmata, and Belial Arisen. There were several other good ones, but those are the few I could consider calling actual classics, unless I'm forgetting one or two others(in which case they're probably not that classic anyway).

Thanks for the links.

I know debating music is one of those things but Profanatica - to my mind -  doesnt really do anything besides trying to shock. Inquisition have come up with some interesting riffs and their songs develop in a way i havent heard before. Ashia's In My Domain uses keyboards very well, though slightly repetative. I associat them with a more melodic stream that is breaking off of the 90s stuff like Blut Aus Nord. Idjarn is in a world of this own but I still find his ambient stuff better than his metal (not to discredit the latter). Oath Bound is a good album but Summoning arent doing anything they havent done before. Not to descridit them for this but I am personally interested in bands that are doing thigns differently at the moment. Ill  listen to you r other suggestions later, but I highly recommend Setherials Ekpyrosis to people looking for black metal that is avant garde (to use a term that gets thrown around too often) (though their llyrics arent particaly noteworthy, unfortunately)

December 12, 2010, 11:30:06 AM
Profanatica isnt shock rock, and i dont think that was their goal.  Disgusting Blasphemies Against God is definently my number 1 this year.  

Inquisition's Omnious Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm is another great one that just came out

December 12, 2010, 03:27:48 PM
Some tentative suggestions...

Inquisition - Ominously Long Album Titles - I've only given this 3 listens, but so far it's impressed me, especially in comparison with their decent but far from amazing earlier stuff. Don't know if it will be one that lasts yet.

Weapon - From The Devil's Tomb - A potent fusing of barbarous Canadian metal with a Greek sense of melody; a Hindu Morbid Angel sense of bizarre architecture in the wings. Long, flowing, crushing songs. Oh, and the drummer of Sacramentary Abolishment;  INTO THE DEVILíS TOMB!

Some things I haven't heard yet, but have high hopes for:

Diocletian - War of All Against All
Avzhia - In My Domains

December 12, 2010, 04:53:25 PM
Deathspell Omega's Paracletus is good; similar to their past albums, but if you find their work to be meaningful at all then Paracletus is certainly worth mentioning.

December 12, 2010, 06:36:56 PM
I found Paracletus to be hammy post-rock derived crap. DSO had actually been starting to show some positive development with Fas... and Chaining the Katechon, having regained a sense for expressive, unified melodic development after the disorganized punchline that was Si Monumentum. But now they've they leaned too far in that direction with Paracletus, stumbling over themselves in the process and pooping out a pile of Meshuggish prog-death in occvlt trappings(as if we need any more of THAT). FFS, the lead guitar line that shows up in "Wings of Predation" could be a direct lift from a song by a Texas DUB band called Sub Oslo. It's the worst thing they've made.

In my opinion.

I've heard Weapon's latest was an improvement on their retarded debut, and I'll get around to hearing it eventually, but I can't say I have high (or low, really) hopes for it. Even during their EP era, half of their appeal was in their production.

December 12, 2010, 11:21:24 PM
Listening to the new Dioceltian now, Conqueor and Bolt Thrower influences more apparent, this is total systematic destruction.

The thing about war metal is at it's best, it tries to represent the laws of nature: riffs at war with eachother, with some briefly rising in supremacy, then dismantled into chaos. This is what the War Cult Supremacy album is all about. Dioceltian takes the seed of this idea but puts it in more comprehensive death metal structures: riffs united with logic.

War of All Against All is no classic, but it's effective at what it does. I would grade it B minus. 

Inquisition thus far takes the cake for black metal. It's less moronic in structure, witch makes the powerful magik atmosphere that was always there beneath the surface shine through.

Profanatica was disappointing, the debut is where it's at, nuff said. The first few songs had the potential to be some of the best the band has ever coined, the riff structuring was silly though. Quite infantile.

Still need to hear that Avzhia!

December 13, 2010, 08:32:28 AM
Profanatica - Disgusting Blasphemies is the best 2010 BM album for me. I like it better than Profanatitas which contained some very "un-Profanatica" riffs IMO, I still consider that album a failed comeback. Disgusting Blasphemies on the other hand is just perfect and is only rivaled by Dethrone The Son Of God in terms of technique and spirit.

December 13, 2010, 07:24:34 PM
people looking for black metal that is avant garde
avant garde black metal

stick a dick in my ass and call me slutcakes, but "avant garde" and "doing things differently"generally translate into either turning metal into a disco rock n' roll party or random slapdash crap. One thing I've begun to like more and more about metal is its respect of tradition -- its own musical tradition. Perhaps Setherial is actually decent, so pardon my outburst. I used to think "avant garde" metal was the shit (even have a couple Sigh albums shamefully stowed away in my drawers) and now I PMS whenever I see the term bandied about.

The only 2010 black metal releases I've heard were Avzhia's and Profanatica's. Disgusting Blasphemies is, of course, beautiful, filthy, violent, despicable, transcendent, sophomoric, and extremely head-bangable. Love it. Avzhia's is also excellent, but as others have said it's no The Key of Throne. Lovely melodies, sword-raising war riffs and a few moments that screamed "Burzum!" but also a bit too much repetitive emotional keyboard dreck.

Now that I think of it, I did hear the Graveland EP and DSO's new album, neither of which were really inspiring. I guess this means it's time to check out other releases listed here, starting with Setherial's and Inquisition's...

December 13, 2010, 08:28:00 PM
people looking for black metal that is avant garde
avan garde black metal

pseudo-intellectual rubbish with the artistic merit of a bukkake video.  you can practically hear the shouts of "genius" from all the waifish hipsters who think dressing like Where's Waldo is cutting edge. 

December 14, 2010, 08:09:54 AM
Listened to the first four songs off Ekpyrosis, how anyone would think this doozy is in the running for best black metal of 2010 is beyond me. The first song was actually painful to listen to, with an awful, awful, stop-start System of the Down opening, downright silly riffs splattered across the musical canvas, and periods of listless tremolo blasting Next three songs are listenable, though not highly so -- "stirring" blast-beat melodies predictably offset by "vicious" mid-paced head banging sections. It's amazing how Darkthrone could write songs with nothing but blast beats and still manage to make music more surprising than this.

But yeah, if you enjoy "avant garde" metal it's up there with the best of them. (lol)

And I forgot Vukolak was released recently, I was actually pretty impressed with that release

December 14, 2010, 08:36:50 AM
The first song was actually painful to listen to, with an awful, awful, stop-start System of the Down opening, downright silly riffs splattered across the musical canvas, and periods of listless tremolo blasting

I actually burst out laughing at the first stop in the opener.