Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Books and other literature

Books and other literature
June 20, 2006, 03:05:18 PM
The purpose of this thread is for the members here to upload zipped .txt files of books, make reccomendations, post reviews, give links to hubs where a great deal might be located, et cetera...

Similarly to the Music-sharing system, it would be nice if members who take from this thread also make some attempt to give.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Online-hosted books --

http://digital.library.upenn.edu/books/

There are a great deal of books and texts available at the link above, including some books which have otherwise been banned. However sadly, many authors who should be there aren't, and we're left lacking.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Julius Evola - Men among the ruins was paired with a certain CD and hosted by a certain member (I forgot which CD and which member, so I apologise for the lack of credit) in the music area a while back.... I think it might have been paired with Incantation. Nonetheless, here it is now in case that link timed out.

More to come, and hopefully others will join in.

Re: Books and other literature
June 21, 2006, 06:00:34 AM
Thanks. I came across the Confessions of JJ Rousseau in the "banned books" section. Then went to see the original text to compare the translation with what he really said.

For exemple :

I may have supposed that certain, which I only knew to be probable, but have never asserted as truth, a conscious falsehood. Such as I was, I have declared myself; sometimes vile and despicable, at others, virtuous, generous, and sublime; even as Thou hast read my inmost soul: Power Eternal! assemble round Thy throne an innumerable throng of my fellow-mortals, let them listen to my confessions, let them blush at my depravity, let them tremble at my sufferings; let each in his turn expose with equal sincerity the failings, the wanderings of his heart, and if he dare, aver, I was better than that man.
http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/r/rousseau/jean_jacques/r864c/book1.html

J'ai pu supposer vrai ce que je savais avoir pu l'être, jamais ce que je savais être faux. Je me suis montré tel que je fus: méprisable et vil quand je l'ai été; bon, généreux, sublime, quand je l'ai été: j'ai dévoilé mon intérieur tel que tu l'as vu toi-même. Etre éternel, rassemble autour de moi l'innombrable foule de mes semblables; qu'ils écoutent mes confessions, qu'ils gémissent de mes indignités, qu'ils rougissent de mes misères. Que chacun d'eux découvre à son tour son coeur au pied de ton trône avec la même sincérité, et puis qu'un seul te dise, s'il l'ose: je fus meilleur que cet homme-là.
http://big.chez.com/bacfrancais/les_confessions.htm

Power Eternal = Eternal Being ?
Thy throne = me ?!

June 21, 2006, 09:46:25 AM
I sorta figure a list of stuff is better than these links. Can't we just get the title and go to a library and get the real thing?

Better to post essays that aren't available elsewhere, or are hard to find otherwise

Such as:

http://foster.20megsfree.com/index_en.htm
http://www.alaindebenoist.com/pages/textes.php?cat=orientation&lang=en

June 24, 2006, 04:02:16 PM
I sorta figure a list of stuff is better than these links. Can't we just get the title and go to a library and get the real thing?

Lists of reccoemnded books are welcome as well, as are reviews. This is mostly for literature-related talk and contribution, whether this simply be intelligent discussion, reccomendations, reviews, links, or anything else that you think might fit the topic.

June 24, 2006, 05:59:40 PM
Where's a good place to upload books? The same places as uploading music, or what?
Also, is posting Palahniuk going to get me flamed? Because if it will, I won't.

June 24, 2006, 07:26:22 PM
Zipped .txt files work on the same sites as music is uploaded, yes.

And as for the Palahniuk, I doubt you'll get flamed, but if you do, then so be it. I wouldn't fear the members here if I were you.

June 24, 2006, 07:46:01 PM
Lullaby, by Chuck Palahniuk :)

This is one of my favorite books. I find its examination of the diluted meaning of language in modern society compelling ^_^ And of course, I love the Palahniuk.

Also, an essay by Camus.

The Myth of Sisyphus

June 25, 2006, 07:16:04 AM

Some people even take the time to write books about me.

I knew I should have stopped this eternal bullshit.

Tut, tut. Before you turn into narcissus you should know that it's only a mere essay. A mere bagatelle!

June 25, 2006, 07:41:14 AM
Growth of the Soil by Knut Hamsun

June 25, 2006, 04:13:27 PM
Growth of the Soil by Knut Hamsun

Thanks for posting this. There's a few Hamsun titles on this website that I've wanted to read for a long time but couldn't find anywhere.

June 26, 2006, 09:21:34 PM
Most people probably know this site already, but: http://www.gutenberg.org/

I don't read things online myself, but this seems to have a vast selection.

June 27, 2006, 09:42:36 PM

I say fuck to it.

Me too. Then I go over to www.abebooks.com(.au) and get a lovely hardcover edition secondhand for less than the price of a new mass market paperback (that is, if I can't find it in a local secondhand store). Then I turn off my darn computer and turn on a lamp and read. (How sentimental I am!)

June 27, 2006, 11:06:20 PM
:)

June 28, 2006, 02:26:55 PM
Here is a children's book that you might enjoy:

120 Days of Fun - Donatien de Sade

June 28, 2006, 05:30:09 PM
120 Days of Fun - Donatien de Sade

Hehehe, the Marquis! Yay for not reading that to my children.