Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Books and other literature

Re: Books and other literature
June 28, 2006, 06:47:52 PM
Damn. I've failed to shock. Now I know how Goregrind musicians feel. I'll go sit in the corner.

June 29, 2006, 09:14:21 AM
There are quite a few classics here:
http://classics.mit.edu/Browse/index.html

eg. Homer's Odyssey & Illiad.

Look's like an interesting link.

Sade is more Death Metal than you  ;)

That's ok, Death Metal sucks. ;) I would have said he was Goregind, such a dirty mouth... or maybe that is just the norm for French people.   :P

Maybe someone can post Schopenhauer for the benefit of any female readers.

June 30, 2006, 01:43:03 PM
There are quite a few classics here:
http://classics.mit.edu/Browse/index.html

eg. Homer's Odyssey & Illiad.

The Iliad is one of my three favorite books. The Achilles berserker scene is SO beautiful. Ee.

Maybe someone can post Schopenhauer for the benefit of any female readers.

"undersized, narrow-shouldered, broad-hipped and short legged race ... they have no proper knowledge of any; and they have no genius."

~offended sniffle~ How dare he!
I AM NOT BROAD-HIPPED!

June 30, 2006, 02:37:07 PM
Some essays:
http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/s/schopenhauer/arthur/

On a serious note: Thanks. I had actually been meaning to find some etexts by Schopenhauer (despite my blatant misogynistic humour).

"undersized, narrow-shouldered, broad-hipped and short legged race ... they have no proper knowledge of any; and they have no genius."

Clearly, he trumps my insults... I better brush up on my Aynaltrollsk. ><>

June 30, 2006, 03:02:08 PM
His Religion: A Dialogue is really fun so far.
Demopheles. Between ourselves, dear old friend, I am sometimes dissatisfied with you in your capacity as philosopher; you talk sarcastically about religion, nay, openly ridicule it. The religion of every one is sacred to him, and so it should be to you.

Philalethes. Nego consequentiam! I donít see at all why I should have respect for lies and frauds because other people are stupid.

That said, a few of the other things are kind of strange to me. Like the one on noise. I mean, granted, I only read it halfway (having the short attention span of a female, i.e. a large child :P) but at first he's just ranting about how everyone who makes loud noises needs to just go away and die. It just seems an odd essay.

June 30, 2006, 06:02:01 PM
at first he's just ranting about how everyone who makes loud noises needs to just go away and die. It just seems an odd essay.

I sympathize with the fellow. There's nothing more irksome than those who try to be loud for loudness' sake. Coincidentally, this seems to comprise at least 68% of college students.

June 30, 2006, 07:50:16 PM
"Growth of the Soil" is amazing -- the Norwegian Faulkner.

July 02, 2006, 02:12:17 AM

~offended sniffle~ How dare he!
I AM NOT BROAD-HIPPED!

The weird thing is that Art thinks that the intellect comes from the mother and the will from the father. How does the intellect come from the mother if females lack the capacity to think?

Reading his aphorisms and essays (the penguin edition) I skipped the on women section so I wouldn't spoil my estimation of him.

The religion dialogue is great because it is inconclusive. On the indestructibility of being is great (although he is totally ripping off hinduism), also On the antithesis of the thing-in-itself and its appearance. On the vanity of existence is hilarious.

July 02, 2006, 02:21:34 AM
"Growth of the Soil" is amazing -- the Norwegian Faulkner.

Hamsun is great.

July 03, 2006, 01:04:42 AM
Heart of Darkness, by Joseph Conrad

July 05, 2006, 11:25:12 AM
Heart of Darkness, by Joseph Conrad

Good book. I found it really boring for the first twenty pages, but then it rolled well from that point on.

July 05, 2006, 03:00:04 PM

Hamsun is great.

Hunger is my favourite.

July 10, 2006, 04:30:06 PM
I like stories with good adventure, a hero who forges ahead without being neurotic like a crustcore band, a beautiful woman with strong character waiting at the other end of the adventure.

Edgar Rice Burroughs (Free book-length etexts, about 20)

Robert A. Heinlein

Herman Melville

Zane Grey

Jack London