Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

The problem with dissident art

The problem with dissident art
December 23, 2010, 03:10:00 PM
The problem with dissident art like metal is that it encourages societal drop-out. People tune in to the message, and then make themselves ineffective at changing the system from within. A better approach than either Christianity (evil is bad) or metal ("good" as determined by society is bad) is to acknowledge life as a means to an end, and thus ourselves as a means to an end. "Fans" shouldn't just be fans; they should be promoters of metal ideals in the areas of life over which they DO or CAN have control.

All IMHO.

Re: The problem with dissident art
December 23, 2010, 09:04:03 PM
Changing society from within is mostly impossible: the instincts of the average person force society to be a bit domesticated and lowest-common-denominator.

Societal drop-out makes sense to preserve one's sanity.  When you find that you owe others nothing, and they have nothing to offer you except misery, then it's the best option one has.

December 23, 2010, 09:10:52 PM
Conservationist, once again you're wrong because I fucking want you to be.

Anyway, I don't really care about what others owe me, or what I owe others, or what is or is not possible. I rage for order because I want to, because that is what I am willed towards.

December 23, 2010, 10:20:43 PM
Withdrawal is a type of passivity or defensiveness like hippies and emo culture. Metal was always assertive or aggressive like an invader or intruder.

December 24, 2010, 05:35:45 AM
Arguably and as the saying goes, it's usually a small group of people in a room who change the world.

December 24, 2010, 05:57:42 AM
Changing society from within is mostly impossible: the instincts of the average person force society to be a bit domesticated and lowest-common-denominator.

Societal drop-out makes sense to preserve one's sanity.  When you find that you owe others nothing, and they have nothing to offer you except misery, then it's the best option one has.

Modern day hermits are often the most altruistic people at heart, they either practice this from a distance or have been forced into isolation to avoid becoming a psychopath. Individualism on the other hand means you go with the flow, don't care, because consuming the earth's resources makes you feel comfortable (most people incl most metalheads).

You can still affect your world without having to be a revolutionary as ultimately a real or worthwhile statement of the eternal is unsurpassed in its potential to effect others in a positive way. The key is to work within your resources to achieve that. i.e. highly acedemic and worldly = politics. creative = music/art (which hopefully both geniuses and decent people both can appreciate i.e. kraftwerk).

December 25, 2010, 08:55:27 AM
Withdrawal is a type of passivity or defensiveness like hippies and emo culture. Metal was always assertive or aggressive like an invader or intruder.

Like having people follow a metalhead "fashion" of torn jeans and band t-shirts?  By having a "scene" that frowned down upon non-scene bands?  Metal isn't some great weapon against modernity.  It is just a genre with some good bands and good music.

How is withdrawing "passive?"  Honestly.  Is one passive for seeking shelter from the rain?  Show me one man who can end a storm.  You have one life, who gives a fuck about a faceless horde that could care less about you?

Same concept apply: the sheer size of of the system makes it impossible for any real "change" to occur.  When something does change, it only follows certain parameters in regards to how mass humanity thinks.  Nothing ever truly changes except cosmetic differences and transient fads.

Smart people *THINK* differently than the masses do.  It's like trying to speak to your dog, you'll just get nowhere.  You can't make the masses into anything but a gigantic farm of patsies for whatever schemes those in charge of directing social reality engage in.  Really, they have the money, power, and media.  What does anyone else have?  A fucking blog?  Please.

December 25, 2010, 09:00:12 AM

Societal drop-out makes sense to preserve one's sanity.  When you find that you owe others nothing, and they have nothing to offer you except misery, then it's the best option one has.

Modern day hermits are often the most altruistic people at heart, they either practice this from a distance or have been forced into isolation to avoid becoming a psychopath. Individualism on the other hand means you go with the flow, don't care, because consuming the earth's resources makes you feel comfortable (most people incl most metalheads).

Perhaps true, but terms like "individualism" depend far too much on semantics and definitions to make them useful descriptions for ideologies/beliefs.

You can still affect your world without having to be a revolutionary as ultimately a real or worthwhile statement of the eternal is unsurpassed in its potential to effect others in a positive way. The key is to work within your resources to achieve that. i.e. highly acedemic and worldly = politics. creative = music/art (which hopefully both geniuses and decent people both can appreciate i.e. kraftwerk).

Your life is the only one that matters.  If you're going to get stung near a beehive, well, don't go near a beehive.  Nobody has a "need" to even really change the world, or to be the one fighting all these (necessary?) battles.  Nor are such things usually possible, except for rare, bizarro moments where everyone has gone absolutely batshit insane.

December 25, 2010, 02:33:20 PM

Mostly, maybe. Not if you go about it the right way.

Making a change which is larger than you as a person is certainly possible.

Societal drop-out makes sense to preserve one's sanity.  

Or find a way to preserve sanity from within society, and then find a way to change society.

When you find that you owe others nothing

Get rid of this retard morality. Reality could care less what you "owe" others or what people "owe" you.

and they have nothing to offer you except misery, then it's the best option one has.

Solipsism. You make up only a small portion of the effects of your actions.

Society sucks, sure, so go and do something about it. And stop jerking off.

December 25, 2010, 06:06:17 PM

Like having people follow a metalhead "fashion" of torn jeans and band t-shirts?  By having a "scene" that frowned down upon non-scene bands?  Metal isn't some great weapon against modernity.  It is just a genre with some good bands and good music.

How is withdrawing "passive?"  Honestly.  Is one passive for seeking shelter from the rain?  Show me one man who can end a storm.  You have one life, who gives a fuck about a faceless horde that could care less about you?

Same concept apply: the sheer size of of the system makes it impossible for any real "change" to occur.  When something does change, it only follows certain parameters in regards to how mass humanity thinks.  Nothing ever truly changes except cosmetic differences and transient fads.

Smart people *THINK* differently than the masses do.  It's like trying to speak to your dog, you'll just get nowhere.  You can't make the masses into anything but a gigantic farm of patsies for whatever schemes those in charge of directing social reality engage in.  Really, they have the money, power, and media.  What does anyone else have?  A fucking blog?  Please.

It's not my fault you suck. No seriously, people have done great things before, what makes you any different than them? Oh yeah, you suck.

December 25, 2010, 10:40:49 PM
Get rid of this retard morality. Reality could care less what you "owe" others or what people "owe" you.

That's exactly the point, retard.  Yet you adhere to some simplistic morality where you have to be Mr. Hero working for the good of mankind.  Or something. LOL!

Solipsism. You make up only a small portion of the effects of your actions.

Society sucks, sure, so go and do something about it. And stop jerking off.

Good job not knowing the definition of solipsism.  Also, u mad bro?

December 25, 2010, 10:43:28 PM

It's not my fault you suck. No seriously, people have done great things before, what makes you any different than them? Oh yeah, you suck.

Someone got banned from XBox live...

December 25, 2010, 11:00:11 PM

That's exactly the point, retard.  Yet you adhere to some simplistic morality where you have to be Mr. Hero working for the good of mankind.  Or something. LOL!

And you're making things better by doing fuck-all how?

December 26, 2010, 01:06:39 AM

Someone got banned from XBox live...

Or you just suck, plain and simple.

December 26, 2010, 01:47:48 AM

And you're making things better by doing fuck-all how?

I'm not.  Who is?