Metal > Metal

Metal in the year 2011

<< < (10/11) > >>

Humanicide:

--- Quote from: istaros on September 23, 2011, 09:15:50 PM ---It's a lot tighter, the songs move from one theme to the next pretty directly, very little of the former meandering. The drumming is more restrained but that just makes it sound more intense to my ears, it's a vicious little EP. I'd say about 20-25 minutes? I haven't timed it.

--- End quote ---

It does all of those things, but it really loses the chaotic feel that the older material had. I really enjoyed the whole riff salad approach that PI had developed. The new EP's a solid work, but it left me kind of disappointed because its basically Profanatica worship. Whereas the older material pulled from not only that band but Fallen Christ, Sadus, and other riff heavy bands; creating something quite unlike anything out now in metal. I hope if they continue in this new direction, they find a way to make their music more distinctive, because if they don't they'll just be a GOOD band, not a GREAT one.

istaros:
There's definitely a strong Profanatica vibe, which has become a bit more pronounced with the development of a preference for directed vitriol over omnidirectional chaos -the closing phrase of "Hairs of Incest" in particular is essentially a Profanatica lift- but Profanatica has always struck me as rather "flowing" in its character whereas this EP is definitely more distinctive in the way its motifs are contrasted. They're more connected to each other but it's still very percussive in nature. And there's just as much Angelcorpse and Necrovore as there is Profanatica; the influence from Necrovore is particularly welcome as very few bands (if any?) have made much of an attempt to capture that same sensation, which is a shame. To my mind, the trade of complete chaos for SOME order is a positive one. It makes everything sound more intense, not only by conveying a more battering, warlike atmosphere, but also by hinting at a greater sense of chaos than is directly portrayed by using that militaristic sense as a form of contrast.

Humanicide:

--- Quote from: istaros on October 07, 2011, 09:59:03 PM ---There's definitely a strong Profanatica vibe, which has become a bit more pronounced with the development of a preference for directed vitriol over omnidirectional chaos -the closing phrase of "Hairs of Incest" in particular is essentially a Profanatica lift- but Profanatica has always struck me as rather "flowing" in its character whereas this EP is definitely more distinctive in the way its motifs are contrasted. They're more connected to each other but it's still very percussive in nature. And there's just as much Angelcorpse and Necrovore as there is Profanatica; the influence from Necrovore is particularly welcome as very few bands (if any?) have made much of an attempt to capture that same sensation, which is a shame. To my mind, the trade of complete chaos for SOME order is a positive one. It makes everything sound more intense, not only by conveying a more battering, warlike atmosphere, but also by hinting at a greater sense of chaos than is directly portrayed by using that militaristic sense as a form of contrast.

--- End quote ---

Valid observations. Re-listening to this again - I definitely see some Necrovore influence in the writing, good on you for pointing it out.

I believe we will have to agree to disagree. Whereas this new EP is more calculated, like a heat seeking missile drawn to a target, the previous works have all been like a minigun; fire away with very little accuracy but you'll likely rip up a whole load of shit in the process. I simply prefer the first approach. No denying it though, Prosanctus Inferi are one of the bands to watch of this decade.

Parasite:
It is unfortunate that Prosanctus Inferi's drummer passed away, because with him an essential piece of what makes this band great, died too.  Their new EP is good but i dont feel as horrified as when I was listening to their previous full length.  The EP seems more like a regression than progression into the sound they established on "Pandemonic...".  On a positive note though, the drum tone on this album is awesome, it packs a serious punch! The guitar work is great and the vocals still sound like they are seething out of some bloodied beasts mouth with green smoking billowing out!

Conservationist:
New Demoncy is going to be great.

High hopes for Divine Eve.

Absu and Immolation are upsetting.

New/old Beherit is great.

New Cianide is great.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version