Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

"Terminal Sellout Disease"

Re: "Terminal Sellout Disease"
June 28, 2006, 08:31:57 AM
I think what many metal fans seem to be doing
is confusing the meaning of the term `open -mindedness` (which is a healthy attribute) with`tolerance`(which is not).

We are all open minded
to an extent, or we would not be listening to an esoteric genre like metal in the first place.

That`s not the same thing as tolerating
crap to gain acceptance, or for otherwise shallow
or insincere motives.

June 28, 2006, 08:43:35 AM
I think what many metal fans seem to be doing
 is confusing the meaning of the term `open -mindedness` (which is a healthy attribute) with`tolerance`(which is not).

Totally.

Exploration confused with absense of standards.

June 28, 2006, 10:29:20 AM
Honestly, I think the diabolical second half of With Fear... was a clear indication of the direction ATG were heading in, and TSD should've come as no surprise.

June 28, 2006, 12:16:32 PM
Honestly, I think the diabolical second half of With Fear... was a clear indication of the direction ATG were heading in, and TSD should've come as no surprise.

I like this 'diabolical' second half as much as the first one, with the exception of The Architects maybe. The songs of this second half are actually mostly older than the others, plus, they don't show TSD's signs of simplification.. so I don't see the relation to TSD's 'decline'.

June 28, 2006, 03:28:17 PM

I see, the disease in its early stages. If only they had picked up on it then. Tragically, it was too advanced (Terminal) by the time they were diagnosed , which ultimately led to "Sellout of the Soul"--truly a "suicidal final art".

Kidding aside, while there may be some tracks on the second half that seem relatively simple compared to those on the first half, I wouldn't equate them with "Terminal Spirit Disease" material. And if you're wondering why I'm putting the album titles in quotation marks instead of italicizing them, it's for the sake of continuity, as I wasn't aware that the board would accept code until I saw your post (the italics weren't showing up in the previews, so I left them out).

TC

June 28, 2006, 03:33:38 PM
so i guess i'm missing it - what is it about this album that people dislike?  tracks like "the swarm" and "the fevered circle" are, to me, epic and wonderful, with the latter being one of my favorite ATG songs period.

June 28, 2006, 04:37:11 PM
It isn't horrible like Slaughter of the Soul, but it is still a direct step in that direction. What I dislike about it is the simple fact that it is a step towards mundane - why listen to this when you can listen to Gardens of grief, Red in the Sky is Ours, or The Burning Darkness?

A similar case for me is Slayer...where Seasons in the Abyss isn't a bad album by any means, it is simply inferior to South of Heaven and Raining Blood, so why spend time on it when the other two achieve a similar goal much better?

Time is valuable, and I'd rather listen to a masterpiece than a pseudo-good melodic death album. Period.

TC

June 28, 2006, 05:24:59 PM
eh, ok.  i agree that GOG & red in the sky are masterpieces, but i don't see how their earlier efforts and TSD are mutually exclusive.  

and for the record, i think that the first two songs on SOTS are great.  the rest, obviously "meh", but those two are great angry songs.  i just hate that album for starting the whole "melo-death" bullshit again.....

but there was no pretending about TSD.  on SOTS, it seemed clear to me that they were striving for a certain goal/sound, and that's what made it "ugh" status, but on TSD it just seems like a group of guys writing what they felt like writing with no clear direction or boundries, and i love the raw emotion of it.

guess we just differ on where they "jumped the shark".  :)

June 28, 2006, 05:34:18 PM
Time is valuable, and I'd rather listen to a masterpiece than a pseudo-good melodic death album. Period.

So true.
Life's too short for mundane music.
:)

TC

June 28, 2006, 05:43:07 PM

So true.
Life's too short for mundane music.
:)

odd statement, as if you listen to a masterpiece and that masterpiece only, it becomes mundane and commonplace to you.

June 29, 2006, 03:17:31 AM
It isn't horrible like Slaughter of the Soul, but it is still a direct step in that direction. What I dislike about it is the simple fact that it is a step towards mundane - why listen to this when you can listen to Gardens of grief, Red in the Sky is Ours, or The Burning Darkness?

Sounds like they wanted some rockin' songs for their live set. C'mon, doesn't everybody want to rock out?

June 29, 2006, 04:04:28 PM

Sounds like they wanted some rockin' songs for their live set. C'mon, doesn't everybody want to rock out?

:o   ;D   :D

June 30, 2006, 07:52:02 PM
Why do people praise this album? While not quite as shallow, to me, it seems like a step in the direction of "Sellout of the Soul"

It's an imperfect thing, like many things, but where it's good -- three new songs and three live ones -- it's excellent. I could do without the instrumental, but it's far more interesting music than SOTS, which is paint-by-numbers speed metal tricked out as death metal.

June 30, 2006, 07:52:24 PM
odd statement, as if you listen to a masterpiece and that masterpiece only, it becomes mundane and commonplace to you.

Beethoven's 9th?

TC

July 01, 2006, 06:07:44 PM

Beethoven's 9th?

anything.  if you only listen to one thing, then that one thing is commonplace to you by definition.

as a personal opinion, it's like i've heard people say about certain women, like the super-"hot" models and whatnot:  "For every amazing-looking girl, there's a guy that's tired of fucking her."

recognizing something as brilliant doesn't necessarily mean you have to listen to it every day.  otherwise it gets burnt-out for you, or... commonplace.  but i'm all for raising expectations/standards to the level of <insert favorite composition here>, that's how we advance.