Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Study shows realities of mate selection

Re: Study shows realities of mate selection
January 05, 2011, 06:27:45 PM
Ah, the ANUS forums.... people debating concepts without even coming to a prior consensus on the definition of the terms thrown around.  Things never change.

You're a bit of a wanker.

You'll have to define wanker before we can debate this, pal.

January 05, 2011, 06:28:53 PM
Alpha males aren't, by nature, callous. Otherwise they would never ascend to levels of admiration. They're not un-callous either, though. You're confusing the modern usage of the term, as co-opted by PUA trash, with what it really denotes - which is simply a natural-born leader.

I am using it in that context because of the times we are in, I know what a true alpha person is.  I might be one in the making.

Does your mommy tell you that when she tucks you in at night?

January 05, 2011, 06:39:51 PM
Perhaps he just has confidence? Or is that too alien of a concept for Mr. ultra misanthropic?

January 05, 2011, 06:40:23 PM
Perhaps he just has confidence? Or is that too alien of a concept for Mr. ultra misanthropic?

Confidence, or hubris?

January 05, 2011, 06:40:43 PM
Iconocloaca is a masterful troll.

January 06, 2011, 06:07:04 AM
Alpha males aren't, by nature, callous. Otherwise they would never ascend to levels of admiration. They're not un-callous either, though. You're confusing the modern usage of the term, as co-opted by PUA trash, with what it really denotes - which is simply a natural-born leader.

I am using it in that context because of the times we are in, I know what a true alpha person is.  I might be one in the making.

Aren't you from Nebraska, Mr. "Ducker?"

January 06, 2011, 06:08:30 AM

I am using it in that context because of the times we are in, I know what a true alpha person is.  I might be one in the making.

Aren't you from Nebraska, Mr. "Ducker?"

I'm a citizen of the world.

January 06, 2011, 08:42:12 AM
Iconocloaca is a masterful troll.

She's probably just another of Prozak's multiple personality wankoffs emanated in cyberspace, like Brunhilde. Both of them truly believe in their autonomous existence, but anyone with brains to read can see the delightful spook of Mr. Prozak hovering over and taking care of us.

As for alpha and beta males, there's a place for both, otherwise nature wouldn't create them, right? Why so much fuss over words, in reality everything falls into place, all the time.

January 06, 2011, 09:10:37 AM
ITT: nature creates abstractions.

You've heard it here first, folks.

January 06, 2011, 09:19:14 AM
ITT: nature creates abstractions.

You've heard it here first, folks.

I bet you read the whole post interpreting nothing but written text, miss Prozie. Try again.

January 06, 2011, 03:54:31 PM
I'm drinking milk.  This makes me attractive to the opposite sex.

DO NOT QUESTION THIS, FOR YOU WILL BE BURNED AND DIED.  Listening to Daft Punk helps, too.

January 06, 2011, 04:11:08 PM
I'm drinking milk.  This makes me attractive to the opposite sex.

DO NOT QUESTION THIS, FOR YOU WILL BE BURNED AND DIED.  Listening to Daft Punk helps, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR-FwptzdOQ

January 06, 2011, 10:18:24 PM
I read some of the posts here, but didn't read the study as I've better activities to do. But let's cut to the chase, shall we? There is no intellectual selectivity or beautiful marriages in the wild. In fact, most species screw everything, choose the fittest, the alpha, or simply ditch husband/wife in a period of a few months or a few years for plenty of other mates, so that they have a higher chance of passing on genes.

Why should the animal genus humans be any different? Do you think ideological institutions (that have been around for 0.0001% of our evolution) are going to bypass instinctual desire? Look at the Middle Ages. They didn't.

January 07, 2011, 06:25:22 AM
In my experience, the decisions people make when speed-dating are not as linear as this study suggests.

All studies are flawed for three reasons:

1. Sample is rarely representative. (400 stoned and broke Columbia students were surveyed.)
 2. They pick one trait of many and assume it is the decisional point. (Smokers also tend to like cake.)
 3. Correlation is not causation; they usually make a reversed causal assumption. (The classic example is studies that suggest poverty reduces IQs.)

In this study, they add another error: assuming that the "first cut" of a dating choice is the last.. It's not.

In my experience, people look for someone like them (unless they have a pathology, like daddy-sexers, race-mixers, muscle-addicts, beta-dominators, etc). You look for someone of similar heritage by geography/ethnicity, social class, and even facial archetype. This is biology at work; your kids are healthiest when you find a near match but not too near a match, at least too many generations in a row.

Do men like attractive women? Our first cut is probably a balance of similar genetics, attractiveness and overall health, the latter two of which correlate with higher IQs.

Summary: study fail.