Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Indie Metal

Indie Metal
December 27, 2010, 10:31:39 PM
Found the latest DLA article interesting, especially using Gojira as the example of "Indie Metal".  I have always been subtly intruigued by a fellow band of theirs, called "Manimal", who never attained the same popularity, despite writing much more interesting (though still arguably pointless and annoying) music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jitMu6-pFP8

Interesting song structure, no?  I like the semi-symmetry of it, anyway, even if the sheer lack of actual Metal pisses me off.

Re: Indie Metal
January 01, 2011, 12:08:08 AM
I thought this article was spot on, top draw, and other idiomatic expressions of affirmation.  I think similar specific dissections of this type of material would be very useful.  I think it has greater power than the more general "sadistic reviews" the site has been doing.

January 01, 2011, 09:58:55 AM
The article in question>>>
http://www.anus.com/metal/about/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=195

I like where that's going, though I can't see how INDIE figures into it.  The Gojira analysis displays a Rock-structured song.  Why not just call it Rock Metal? Or Pop Metal?  The phrase would be more accurate now than it was in the '80s, describing Def Leppard and Twisted Sister.

Either way, 'indie' is a tag which rarely describes how music sounds.  It was better at describing a business arrangement.

January 01, 2011, 03:00:59 PM
In the UK, "Indie" means a certain kind of music.  It's shit.  Listen to "Vampire Weekend" (apparently).

January 01, 2011, 04:37:00 PM
In the UK, "Indie" means a certain kind of music.  It's shit. 

It is actually the same for the U.S.  That's why I detest having 'metal' share the same phrase with that word.

January 01, 2011, 04:49:23 PM
That's why you should detest Metal that could be labeled as "Indie Metal".

January 02, 2011, 01:59:14 AM
Indeed

January 02, 2011, 12:23:38 PM
I'm saying that Indie is not a 'certain kind of music', but many musics that don't sound so much alike.  Nowadays, your clothes, hair, and politics seem to differentiate Indie from Rock. 

And even if you insist Indie IS a certain kind of music, is it different enough from mere Rock that these false metals must be Indie-Metal?  I'd like to hear how. 

I haven't heard tech death beyond Atheist.  I've read that it's all about riff-salads and blazing sweeps 'n shit.  How is that Indie?

January 02, 2011, 04:28:47 PM
It's not.  Some "tech death" bands are closer to Indie than Metal, even though they have the Metal instrumentation.

Also, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EviXgp_F9yE

These all sound them same to me.

January 02, 2011, 05:26:28 PM
Also, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EviXgp_F9yE

These all sound them same to me.

Okay.
If you insist Indie IS a certain kind of music, how is it different enough from mere Rock that these false metals must be Indie-Metal?  And not Rock Metal or Metalled Rock? 

January 02, 2011, 05:33:54 PM
"Indie", as both a form of music and a "scene", is weak and effeminate, whereas Rock generally isn't (as far as my understanding goes).  Rock seems to cater more for the beer-swigging macho crowd, whereas Indie is for the emo kids who are actually "popular", usually due to their tight jeans, capacity for dope, or general hipness, rather than due to any lasting personal qualities.

That panther band are closer to "Rock Metal" than any of these Indie bands.

January 02, 2011, 08:11:01 PM

Okay.
If you insist Indie IS a certain kind of music, how is it different enough from mere Rock that these false metals must be Indie-Metal?  And not Rock Metal or Metalled Rock? 

It's not different from Rock at all. The only defining quality of "Indie" is that it is relatively outside the mainstream; unpopular pop music if you will.

The only purpose I see the term having is to avoid the overused 'hipster' meme.

After all, few things are more hipster than, well, hating hipsters.

January 02, 2011, 08:13:08 PM
Hate to just jump right in, but it should probably be noted thats its possible in the history of 'Indie' music that Indie at one point had at least some merits, considering Indie is supposed to be an abbreviation of the word independent. However, this is obviously not the case anymore, as it has now been styled into a very generic form of pop culture and serves as fap material for 14 year olds everywhere.

January 02, 2011, 09:06:40 PM
Just to add, music released on an independent label that quickly became music of pop bands in britain. I assume it is now used in this way as a less generic word for pop.

January 02, 2011, 09:13:42 PM
Just to add, music released on an independent label that quickly became music of pop bands in britain. I assume it is now used in this way as a less generic word for pop.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I'm not entirely sure where to draw the line on the Indie sound anyway, let alone Indie metal (as the term is being used)