Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Best of Metal 2001-2010

Best of Metal 2001-2010
December 31, 2010, 04:53:47 PM
Here I make a short list of the albums that you can recommend to anyone, not just metalheads, because they're so good that anyone who likes good music will like them:

Beherit - Engram
Skepticism - Alloy
Immolation - Unholy Cult
Asphyx - Death... The Brutal Way
Divine Eve - Vengeful and Obstinate
Averse Sefira - Tetragrammatical Astygmata / Advent Parallax
Gorguts - From Wisdom To Hate
Blaspherian - Allegiance to the Will of Damnation
Birth A.D. - Stillbirth of a Nation
Graveland - Memory and Destiny
Summoning - Oath Bound
Ildjarn - Ildjarn-Nidhogg
Avzhia - The Key of Throne, In My Domains
Lord Wind - Atlantean Monument

Inspired by A Facebook Post

Re: Best of Metal 2001-2010
December 31, 2010, 05:16:00 PM
Nice to see 'Advent Parallax', 'In my domains' and Lord wind
The new krieg seems cool, but I've only heard it once.
I wonder what the consensus is on other works by skepticism.

December 31, 2010, 05:28:51 PM
Lord Wind is especially good for this.  I know several people who have never touched metal that would eat that particular album up in a heartbeat.

December 31, 2010, 08:22:30 PM
This same post keeps coming up, with slight titular variations, every few months. Which is fine, but asking for "best of" leads to people suggesting a lot of good, but not fantastic, stuff. Metal is by and large a sea of shit, now more than ever, and the best kind of shit is still, in the end, shit. I find it more beneficial to ask, what are the classics that came out of metal in the last ten years? It's a minor change, but it has a major effect in how one chooses canidates. These are the albums, from the relevant years, which I see as holding enough value to last throughout the coming decades as having a specific voice within the genre that is not matched by other albums that came before them:

Averse Sefira Tetragrammatical Astygmata
Avzhia The Key of Throne
Axis of Advance Strike
Beherit Engram
Ildjarn Ildjarn-Nidhogg (almost doesn't fit, as it's mostly composed of two pre-2001 EPs; but let's face it, it's the two new tracks that give this work its unified, magical quality) &, if we want to include non-metal works by metal musicians, easily Hardangervidda
Profanatica Profanatitas De Domonatia
Skepticism Alloy & Aes
Summoning Oath Bound

And possibly, but not as surely:
Black Funeral Belial Arisen
Infernum Farewell
Lord Wind Atlantean Monument

With Avzhia's being the best of the bunch - but opinions will differ, irrelevantly in this case as all are excellent. Some will also inevitably notice a marked lack of death metal in my list - I'll freely admit I have a preference for black metal; however, I do love death metal as well, I simply haven't heard anything from the last decade I would qualify as classic.

Regardless, there have been plenty of other albums I love, and will love for a long time still. You mentioned most of them in your own list, Conservationist. But they were not in mine simply because they do not carry the same sort of discrete power, unattached to that of either their forbears or their peers(and in some cases, even their own creators' other works), that the above do.

December 31, 2010, 09:17:20 PM
Many hails for not omitting Axis of Advance's STRIKE! As a former Albertan I always get a surge of nostalgia and pride whenever I see people giving AB death/black cults their dues.

That work has a perfect unity of structure and power, coupled with a futuristic epic musical narrative and some of the most unique lyrics in metal.pure immolating freedom.

December 31, 2010, 09:33:52 PM
Graveland's Will Stronger than Death
Therion's Secrets of the Runes or perhaps Gothic Kabbalah
Belus [ducks to avoid a flying turd]

December 31, 2010, 09:38:18 PM
I would choose Fire Chariot of Destruction as the best work of Darken 2000 (redux).  By far the most passionate and compelling of his later work, possibly his best since FtVoB.

December 31, 2010, 10:36:50 PM
I find both the previously mentioned Memory and Destiny and Fire Chariot of Destruction the best of Graveland's later material, for separate reasons, as recently discussed elsewhere on this board. Both are excellent, and certainly in the "best of" category, but I wouldn't consider them classics.

[Strike] has a perfect unity of structure and power, coupled with a futuristic epic musical narrative and some of the most unique lyrics in metal.pure immolating freedom.
Indeed. A lot of people seem to pass it off as just another album in the vein of Conqueror and Blasphemy, I know I did at first. But there's much, much more that comes to light with further investigation. It's beyond excellent. And as you pointed out, the lyrics alone are fascinating - not only do they offer an interesting (and, incidentally, entirely ANUS-friendly) story, but they also are timed perfectly with the musical changes themselves. This coming from someone who, generally, doesn't care much at all about lyrics. This is one of VERY few metal albums in which reading the lyrics while listening to the music pays off in a huge way.

January 01, 2011, 05:29:03 AM
The same can be said for Obey, which is essentially the conceptual by-product of throwing 1984 and 2001: A Space Odyssey in a blender. I'm still amazed at how perfectly songs like "Cube of Odium" (a Thergothon song at heart) or "Of One to Conflict It" manage to achieve a perfect union of music and lyric in order to distinguish it as one of the most psychologically intense albums in all of metal. I just got around to purchasing Strike about a month ago, but the initially jarring production has hindered my first few attempts to really immerse myself in it. I know there's absolute brilliance just waiting to be unearthed, but I'll have to give it some time.