Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Is metal a different direction?

Is metal a different direction?
December 07, 2004, 12:52:12 PM
Most rock music seems to head toward the same direction: society has failed, medicate self with intoxicants, have a good time and don't care about it all too much. Whether it's love or drugs or hippie politics, rock seems to be about not giving too much of a damn.

Question: is metal different? And if it is, how has this changed from heavy metal to black metal?

Re: Is metal a different direction?
December 07, 2004, 08:08:06 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm, well here are some thoughts on the matter, however I cannot for the life of me say how true they are...

Well, some of it is obviously different from the outlook you describe. Yes, they carried over a rejection of society, but they also took up an elitism; a rejection from base herd mentality and mass idiotic hedonism.

Therefore the rejection of society shifted from political motives to spiritual, and hence what was needed was a different breed of spirit-- a type of romanticism ensued and paved the way for black metal.

Due to this, there have even been a few acts that have attempted to transcend the mundane, and actually make an attempt to create Art, rather than mere social commentary... the greatest black metal acts do this; they do not focus on the 'world itself', but rather at mindsets; feelings, emotions, ideas...

December 08, 2004, 03:02:27 PM
On an economic level, business entrepreneurs realized after the depression in the 1930s that there was now a “youth culture” with expendable income and not a lot of experience or intellect to use towards making purchasing decisions. All sorts of popular entertainment came from these marketing ventures, and rock was probably the most successful. The response was immediate; I want to get laid, I want to do drugs, I want to piss off my parents, so it was obviously speaking directly to them and they loved it.    

Rock musically came out of the most accessible parts of blues, jazz, and folk music. Add lyrics about love or angst filled rebellion and you have a hit making machine. It became most clear (if not before) after Woodstock; the alleged pinnacle of rock community, where drugs & over priced products were exploited to the fullest extent, that rock was a commodity, and concert organizers, record labels, drug dealers, and radio stations all had their hands in the cookie jar. They were deceiving massive amounts of young people into thinking that some form of consumerism was a rebellion; they all fell for it. It probably didn’t even become clear to them until 20 years later when they were wearing a suit and working for a large company.

Death and Black metal deliberately function within a framework that is not easily digestible and therefore marketable (at least I’d like to think so). Within this framework they can attempt a greater range of creativity while not being limited by public opinion. You have a band like Cradle of Filth here or there that throws all of this out of the window, but they instantly lose all artistic integrity when doing so. The best metal bands realize that art with lasting value transcends trivial things like personal problems or anger and attempt to create works with at least a bit more relevance and lasting value than some rock song that says something such as ”My girlfriend left me today, life sucks”.  

December 08, 2004, 07:45:48 PM
We also tend to overlook the beginnings of black metal: orthodox satanism and praise for evil and the occult. A joke? For some, but for others it is real... and in this it is distinguished from both nihilism and hedonism. This was an active praise, not a passive escapism. It was always seen as 'empty posturing' to those who couldn't understand it, but it really was the original essence and true meaning of 'Black Metal'. Beherit, Barathrum, Necromantia, Varathron, Rotting Christ, Samael, Abruptum.... only a joke to those who couldn't apprehend it any more.

December 09, 2004, 01:23:16 AM
Abruptum pretty much was a joke.

Some of metal is a different direction in that it presents an ideology beyond "well, things are fucked up, let's whine about it!!", but most of it is basically rock with a bit more distortion.

December 09, 2004, 02:02:36 AM
Why was it a joke?

Do you really think the band members did it to "be funny"? Do you really think they said to themselves "oh my gosh! Lets create this music as a joke!"

No. There is sincerity in their works... most definately. Even those who later come to deny or reject their past involvement. I am most definately sure that when they were creating it, the last thing on their mind was laughter, and/or the intent of it being humourous or percieved as a joke. "Those who have eyes will see".

December 09, 2004, 02:11:27 AM
Why was it a joke?

Do you really think the band members did it to "be funny"? Do you really think they said to themselves "oh my gosh! Lets create this music as a joke!"

No. There is sincerity in their works... most definately. Even those who later come to deny or reject their past involvement. I am most definately sure that when they were creating it, the last thing on their mind was laughter, and/or the intent of it being humourous or percieved as a joke. "Those who have eyes will see".

Not a joke in the literal, intended sense, but rather a joke in the same sense that most "trad metal" is.

December 09, 2004, 02:26:54 AM
What sense would that be?

December 09, 2004, 02:45:23 AM
I think at some point the definition of 'black metal' changed; the feeling and focus of it changed, but even so I see value in "the old way". I guess it is just a matter of those can who see, feel and understand its value, and those who cannot. Those who cannot have no way but to percieve it as a 'joke'-- for what else could it be?

December 09, 2004, 02:53:37 AM
What sense would that be?

Listen to a recent album by Iced Earth and you'll understand completely.

December 09, 2004, 02:58:08 AM
Do I really have to? Would reading the lyrics suffice?

December 12, 2004, 05:41:25 AM
pop = alcohol
rock = marijuana
dance = ecstasy
metal = cocaine

although metal is the strongest drug, you can still have a relatively rational conversation with someone who's on it.

December 18, 2004, 07:04:12 AM
Metal is dead.

December 19, 2004, 01:09:18 AM
Metal is dead.

Question: is metal different? And if it is, how has this changed from heavy metal to black metal?

Certain "castes" of metal heads are different. Take a look at the ANUS posters. I wonder how many of them are attending college or have graduated.

Unfortunately, you have the "untouchables" in a caste of metal heads. They are the uneducated, druken, losers. Sad to say, mexican minorities have many of them.

August 05, 2005, 09:59:00 PM
Most rock music seems to head toward the same direction: society has failed, medicate self with intoxicants, have a good time and don't care about it all too much.

Well a lot of metal bands are like that, most anyway, but none of the bands I like give themselves into that all the way. You can tell the stupid bands because all they talk about is partyin and having bitches an shit